What's your earliest memory?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What's your earliest memory?

Post by Code-Red »

Thought this forum was void of any interesting or provocative threads of late. So, what's yours?

I remember going to my grandparents farm while still in Denmark, and I remember vividly walking around, seeing the barn with bikes hanging from the ceiling, the chickens in the basement,the pigs in the den, and the lake. It's funny because I had always thought it had been when I was about 3 or so, but when I was speaking to my grandmother recently, she said she had sold that property in 1986. We've got no pictures of it, no video, and from what I told her it described her farm EXACTLY. I also have lit bits and pieces of memory from my first birthday (which I shared with my cousin Erin who was born on the same day).

From what I've been reading, most say the brain doesn't process memory correctly until the ability to speak is learned (Ages 2-5). I guess I'm ahead of that curve ;).
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Re: What's your earliest memory?

Post by mrandyk »

I remember waking up laying in front of our tv for some reason (perhaps negligent parents that wouldnt take me to bed and left me there overnight), then I walked over to the kitchen table where my mom was sitting and asked for some pancakes.

I believe I was 3 at the time, but I remember that I couldnt see over the table which would make me somewhere under about 2 1/2 feet tall.

On a side note I gave my little brother his first memory when he was two and I burnt him with the cigarette lighter in the car while waiting for our mom to come out of the grocery store. The mark has faded but there is still a distinct ring on his hand.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

I remember putting my Mr. T Stretch Armstrong into the broiler. I remember this because my parents didn't know it was in the broiler when they turned it on. I had to be around 2 because I was in my high chair when the house filled with smoke.

I also remember that the house had a rather large water stain on the ceiling near the front door.
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Post by S. Thompson »

My dad feeding me yogurt late at night in a high chair - no clue how old I was.

- Fuzmeister
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

I seem to recall once being bathed in a sink. This is a memory I've always wondered about, because I would think that I would have been way to young to remember that, but I have no idea young I'd have had to have been to be bathed in a sink. I don't recall actually being in the sink, but I do remember having my hair washed by the sink spigot.

I remember a lot from preschool. I went to preschool for two years, so I guess that's from when I was four and five.
It's thinking...
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

i remember at around a ear and a half old, breaking my crib, and then taking hinges off the door of my room (well i made it to the top hinge then i was cought...that was always something i loved doing at that age, i guess i wanted to see what happened if i took them all off...lol good thing I never did :)
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Smashing a wasp into my face with a frisbee. It stung like a bitch.
Yonke
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Yonke »

i always remember me playing in the living room and my Great Grandmother (RIP) asking me if i want some jamaica water....
Jaded JAaron77
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Jaded JAaron77 »

my earliest memory is me walking around in my grandmother's back yard... ..wearing only diapers ...so that puts me really, really young. I have some other flashes of images from when I was still in diapers, but nothing so clear as that one. I really remember way further back than I should.

... I have some memory of being potty trained too... but if it's true that memory begins when language function picks up, and it's recommended potty training be begun after some understanding of language is realized, then I guess that's not too much of a stretch...

I clearly remember my mother being pregnant with my little brother and him being born, and that was when I was less than two and a half.
this is my signature
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

Jaded JAaron77 wrote:I clearly remember my mother being pregnant with my little brother and him being born, and that was when I was less than two and a half.
That actually reminds me, I remember sister being born and I am exactly 2 1/2 years older than her. That might be my first memory, I have another memory of being in a high chair but I dont really know what order these things happened in.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Jaded JAaron77 wrote:... I have some memory of being potty trained too... but if it's true that memory begins when language function picks up, and it's recommended potty training be begun after some understanding of language is realized, then I guess that's not too much of a stretch...
Heh, now that you mention it, I remember using the toilet with one of those things that go on the toilet seat that has the guard to make sure you don't pee out of the seat and makes children able to sit on it without falling in...
It's thinking...
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

|darc| wrote:
Jaded JAaron77 wrote:... I have some memory of being potty trained too... but if it's true that memory begins when language function picks up, and it's recommended potty training be begun after some understanding of language is realized, then I guess that's not too much of a stretch...
Heh, now that you mention it, I remember using the toilet with one of those things that go on the toilet seat that has the guard to make sure you don't pee out of the seat and makes children able to sit on it without falling in...
Ooh, way to trigger a memory. I remember using one of those too. I also remember using a walker.
ccb_v2
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by ccb_v2 »

I remember one-piece PJ's w/ feet... but I would have been potty trained cause we didn't have diapers and often got... "ourselves" caught in the zipper after our baths as our mom zipped us up...

I remember my 1st birthday... I got a flashlight/whistle combo that I accidentally flushed down the toilet...

I remember my brother and I slidding down my parent's carpetted stairs on our butts... with diapers on...

I remember the one bush outside of our old house when i was maybe 2... the leaves would curl up in the fall...

I remember I used to lick up the carpet cleaner powder my mom would put down before vacuuming and watching The Price is Right...
AgentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen

Post by AgentGreen »

Wearing a crappy plastic halloween mask and a hooded cape watching a pro wrestling tape my uncle had recorded while i was sitting on my training potty. I'm fairly certain it wasn't even around Halloween, i was just trying to emulate the costumes I saw on TV.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Out of curiosity to those who have really early memories; did you have siblings? Because I have next to no recollection of my childhood, yet my wife can remember even the smallest things. And I think it's partially because she has a sister that jogs her memory with a lot of it, whereas I was (practically) an only child. Me personally, I can't remember hardly anything before the age of 5.
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

I have a younger brother, and yes, major events like my mothers pregnancy and his birth I remember, but I don't know if that has any bearing. I can still remember a number of flashes/instances/memories before he was born.

Hell, even this thread awoke my memory of potty training. I remember using this little portable training potty, it had a child size toilet seat on it, and had a bucket underneath it. Just goes to show what your brain keeps in cache, but rarely ever refers to until it's referenced elsewhere.
Roofus

Post by Roofus »

I have a sister, but I'm 5 years older, so I remember quite a bit from before she was born anyway.
JKKDARK
Choking On Cock 24/7
Choking On Cock 24/7

Post by JKKDARK »

Yesterday.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

This thread almost makes me sad, because I've been sitting here for days trying to remember anything from my childhood. My earliest memory was of me sitting on the counter in our old kitchen inside a milk crate, but that was when I was 4 and the only reason I remember that is because dad took a picture. Beyond that, my next earliest memory doesn't even kick in until I was 6, and most of them relate to video games somehow.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

What a great topic idea, Code-Red.

My earliest memories are surreal, at least one is actually a dream. It's surprisingly cinematic. In my dream, I'm with my family. Other than my grandpa, I can't identify anyone. I just understand that they are my family. It probably takes place in Korea (where I lived when I was a year old). The scene kind of solidifies into a photograph, with family members arranged like a team photo around my Grandpa. The people morph into something like baboons or chimps, and they may or may not be wearing baseball uniforms. It's raining in the picture, and I think I hear rolling thunder. Then my view pans out, and I'm outside the picture looking at it. It becomes flat and grayscale. I'm indoors, and the picture is on a wall, next to an open door. I think it's raining outside.

Another weird little memory is of my parents telling me I'm flying, or something like that. I'm either in an airplane or airport. I don't know if this memory is real or not.

My earliest solid memories are of living in St. Louis in a little town-house with my family. This would be about age 2-3. I have quite a few memories of this time, like walking to the park, sleeping upstairs, standing on a stool to brush my teeth, seeing a dead bird on the road, owning He-Man and Max Reebo's Band action figures, and playing with a girl who lived nearby. I also remember moving, but I don't know if it was to that place or from it.