Possibilities for my new PC

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Possibilities for my new PC

Post by Covar »

So I'm planning to build a Gaming PC towards the beginning of next year (once my tuition is payed off for the spring) and wanted to get everyone's opinion. It will be used for pretty much nothing but gaming as i still love my mac, and have it and my notebook for any "serious work" i have to do. there's no keyboard and mouse because i'll be using a KVM switch to share between my Mac, this PC, and my really soon to be Fileserver.

Here's what i have so far

Anyway if you see anything in there thats a waste of money please let me know, the price is pretty much my upper limit of what i'm willing to spend, so please don't go pointing me to the $500 video cards.

Thanks guys
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Re: Possibilities for my new PC

Post by MulletMan13 »

Sure, it's called an Xbox 360 and it's well under your limit.

Cheers.
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Seems a bit silly to have two computers... wouldn't it be better to get rid of the iMac and get a Mac Pro and game on that?
It's thinking...
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

|darc| wrote:Seems a bit silly to have two computers... wouldn't it be better to get rid of the iMac and get a Mac Pro and game on that?
i want the second computer for the same reason i don't run bootcamp. I don't want to have to restart my computer everytime i wish to play a game.
mulletman13 wrote:Sure, it's called an Xbox 360 and it's well under your limit.

Cheers.
in time. in time (presumably when hdtv's come down a little more).
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Covar wrote:
|darc| wrote:Seems a bit silly to have two computers... wouldn't it be better to get rid of the iMac and get a Mac Pro and game on that?
i want the second computer for the same reason i don't run bootcamp. I don't want to have to restart my computer everytime i wish to play a game.
Parallels has 3D support now, though how good it is I don't know.
It's thinking...
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

|darc| wrote:
Covar wrote:
Parallels has 3D support now, though how good it is I don't know.
VMWare Fusion does too. It looks pretty good too, at least based on the Wikipedia article.
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

Covar wrote:
mulletman13 wrote:Sure, it's called an Xbox 360 and it's well under your limit.

Cheers.
in time. in time (presumably when hdtv's come down a little more).
You don't have to use the 360 on a hdtv, they support VGA and now DVI/HDMI. A friend's using one on his CRT monitor and it looks fantastic.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

My suggestions would be:

Don't spend so much on the case. Unless you particularly like the look of that one, you can usually get good enough quality cases for much cheaper (50-60$ less).

If you're going to be using the system for gaming alone, I would go for a higher end dual core, the logic being that one of the biggest advantages of having so many cores is to keep everything else running while you're gaming, which is something you won't need to worry about.

Put more money into the video card. You'll probably get better performance by taking money out of cpu and putting it into the video card.

Generally speaking, games tend to be much more video card intensive than processor intensive. More specifically, at any given time, a game will tend to perform better using the top end video card and mid-level CPU rather than a high end CPU and mid level video card (of same combined price).
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

If you're buying a gaming PC, why get Vista?
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

the only thing i could suggest is to scrap the 2 8600's and get either an 8800 or wait till mid november for ati to release it's rv670 product (was hd2950, now rumored to be hd3xxx series).

After seeing the performance of 2 8600 OC's, i was very disappointed, my 1950 pro actually did better than they did on games like dirt and bioshock.

As for the vista thing, why make him buy an out of date os. If your going to suggest him to get xp, then why not also tell him to choose a better non dx10 card? 99% of the time, gaming on xp and vista is no different, and it's only getting better.

*edit* just noticed you were getting a p35 chipset board, do those support SLi? Also, why not get a dvdrw (not a samsung)
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods