Orange Box! Who's got it?

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Orange Box! Who's got it?

Post by Lunchbox »

Portal was crazy, but too short. TF2 is just plain awesome.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Re: Orange Box! Who's got it?

Post by melancholy »

Portal was the freakin' shit. If it wasn't for Sam and Max, I would claim it as the funniest game this year. The whole thing is a riot all the way to the end (I now have the credits song on my iPod). I played through it twice now. I have barely even touched the rest of the box because I've been hooked on Portal, specifically that last level.

And achievements are even on the PC version, including new goals for HL2 and Ep1. They just gave me the reason I was looking for to play Half-Life 2 again. Seriously, greatest PC release this year.

Team Fortress 2 is about the only game that has no use to me. I didn't even bother installing it.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Will be purchasing it within the next week or so hopefully :D
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Way too expensive considering I already own HL2. I'll buy it if they drop the price a lot, without HL2, or something.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Lartrak wrote:Way too expensive considering I already own HL2. I'll buy it if they drop the price a lot, without HL2, or something.
Can't you buy the other content separately on Steam?

(They *were* going to have a cheaper "Black Box" with it, which was everything EXCEPT HL2...but they decided that was too many SKUs for store shelves).
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

Well, you can buy the components seperately, but considiering Episode 2 + Portal = the price of the entire bundle, there's no reason not to buy the whole thing. It's like you're getting HL2, Ep1, and TF2 for free. I haven't purchased it yet, but I will next pay period :D
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I don't really care about TF2, but I would like to play Episode 1 & 2 though. I am not willing to spend $60 on it though when I only paid $10 for Half Life 2. I will probably wait for a price drop on it. Did they by chance update the graphics for the game for the 360 version, or is it a direct port to the 360?
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
Lartrak wrote:Way too expensive considering I already own HL2. I'll buy it if they drop the price a lot, without HL2, or something.
Can't you buy the other content separately on Steam?
Yeah, Episode 2 for $30 and Portal for $20. They offered the entire Orange Box for $45. So not only would you save $5, but you would get 3 free games. Plus Valve takes your previous purchases and gives you a code for someone else to activate. I'm trying to make $20 off my HL2 and Ep1 codes. A friend offered me $15, though, so I might take it.
Veggita2099 wrote:Did they by chance update the graphics for the game for the 360 version, or is it a direct port to the 360?
Actually, according to IGN, it is a port of the original Xbox version with upgraded textures. So it's worse than the PC version, but better than the Xbox version (though I don't have the 360 version to confirm this). However, the rest of the games are direct PC ports so they look just as good on 360 as they do a high end computer.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

melancholy wrote:
Veggita2099 wrote:Did they by chance update the graphics for the game for the 360 version, or is it a direct port to the 360?
Actually, according to IGN, it is a port of the original Xbox version with upgraded textures. So it's worse than the PC version, but better than the Xbox version (though I don't have the 360 version to confirm this). However, the rest of the games are direct PC ports so they look just as good on 360 as they do a high end computer.
Really? It's based on the Xbox version? That's a pity.

I'm actually a little surprised they didn't use the Xbox version to create a Wii edition. Yeah, the original game is a bit much for the Wii, but there's already this downported version at about the Wii's capability level...and the Wii controls sound ideal, possibly even more so than other FPS games.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

melancholy wrote:Portal was the freakin' shit. If it wasn't for Sam and Max, I would claim it as the funniest game this year. The whole thing is a riot all the way to the end (I now have the credits song on my iPod). I played through it twice now. I have barely even touched the rest of the box because I've been hooked on Portal, specifically that last level.

And achievements are even on the PC version, including new goals for HL2 and Ep1. They just gave me the reason I was looking for to play Half-Life 2 again. Seriously, greatest PC release this year.

Team Fortress 2 is about the only game that has no use to me. I didn't even bother installing it.
Portal was amazing. This is a game that everyone needs to play, in my opinion. It isn't a first person shooter at all, just a first person puzzle game. Everyone complained about how short it was so I found it lengthier than I expected, but it would've been cool if there was a full game for it.

Even if you aren't interested in the great deal that Orange Box is, I would strongly recommend that everyone buy Portal. It's only $20, and yeah, it's not that long, but it was amazing.
It's thinking...
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

picked it up on release day for my 360. Beat portal today. Man that game was amazing, too short but funny the whole way through. Had a kinda creepy feeling at times with all the stuff written everywhere. Im gonna play though it again and listen to all the comentary. Already started Half life 2 episode 2, good time too as i just beat half life 2 for the original xbox on my 360 again. This is such a good deal, even if you have played half life 2, they are all great games.

Did you fall in love with the cube too?
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Dew
Mayks now sents!
Mayks now sents!

Post by Dew »

melancholy wrote: And achievements are even on the PC version, including new goals for HL2 and Ep1. They just gave me the reason I was looking for to play Half-Life 2 again. Seriously, greatest PC release this year.
Do we get those if we don't have the orange box? It may give me a reason to play Half-Life 2 a third time.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Nico0020 wrote:Did you fall in love with the cube too?
Not really. In fact, I was somewhat paranoid of the cube due to that mystery person's obsession.

Which, by the way, is just another example of the incredible imagination these creators had making this game. Seriously, there was more substance in those three hours than a lot of those 50 hour JRPG's have in their entire game.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

I'll get it eventually. I've never played either of the HL games, so if I jump right into HL2, will I be missing anything storyline wise?
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Luriden wrote:I'll get it eventually. I've never played either of the HL games, so if I jump right into HL2, will I be missing anything storyline wise?
Not really.
It's thinking...
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I felt like I was missing a ton when I jumped into HL2 because I never played the first. I'm trying to go back and play the first one, but I get too bored with it too fast. I doubt I'll ever beat the first HL.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

If you have already beaten portal you HAVE to listen to these, just cause well you will understand. If you have not beaten it this can be considered a spoiler, so you might not want to listen. My two favorite things in portal!

http://uke.me.uk/portal/sound/vo/apertu ... ags_08.wav
http://uke.me.uk/portal/sound/music/por ... _alive.mp3
*The Cadillac of signatures*
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

Agreed, Portal is awesome. I'm redoing the challenges to get gold rankings on all of them for achievements.

I want to get into TF2, but it seems so hectic and mediocre online. I'll keep trying it out, but it just seems like something I won't spend a lot of my time in.

Having never played HL2, I am eager to jump in and play every episode, even without playing the first game. I tried playing through it on PC, but like mel said I got really bored and meh, just never got around to getting too far at all.

About how many hours does HL2 take? Ep 1? Ep 2?

kthnxbye
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
Dew
Mayks now sents!
Mayks now sents!

Post by Dew »

Damn I really wanna try portal. I haven't gotten the orange box yet but I really want to it's just I don't know if my hardware can take it reasonably well. I can run Half-Life 2, CS Source, and HL2 Ep1 and those all work pretty well. I guess they upped the processor requirement which is probably not a good sign. I wish I could just try it to see if it will actually run okay.

Just for the record here's what I'm running.
P4 1.6Ghz
512MB RDRAM PC800
Geforce FX 5500 128Mb AGP

I know it's junky so I don't wanna hear the damn you should buy a new comp that sucks, I'm a college student on a tight budget, can't exactly afford a new comp right now.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

MulletMan13 wrote:About how many hours does HL2 take? Ep 1? Ep 2?
HL2 will probably take you around 15 or so. It's a long game, but totally worth it. The weakest level is probably Ravenholm, but once you're past that, it's good times.

As for the episodes, 5 hours each.