What do i need to get the Ultimate DC?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
oioioi
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What do i need to get the Ultimate DC?

Post by oioioi »

Hey, i'm planning to buy a new dreamcast because i sold my other one :( but i have some question, what stuff do i need to get the Ultimate dreamcast? So what bootloader, homebrew softwares, emulators and other things do i need for that? And is there a homebrew which auto loads when i start the DC?

Thanks!
Christuserloeser

Re: What do i need to get the Ultimate DC?

Post by Christuserloeser »

You can get all the emulators and homebrew for free so you don't need anything special. Just the Dreamcast itself with some controllers and at least one VMU. I would recommend a pair of Arcade Sticks, rumble packs and a VGA box too.

And yes, all homebrew is selfbooting if you use tools like BootDreams or Selfboot Inducer.
Insane homebrew collector.
oioioi
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by oioioi »

Alright!, thanks for your reply but what homebrew do you guys prefer?
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

There's so many... My favorite atm would have to be Drill.

Anyway, we got some nice ready-to-burn images hosted at http://www.dcevolution.net/ and SBIs (to be used with Selfboot Inducer) at http://dchelp.net/sbi/ that should get you started :)
Insane homebrew collector.
dreamCloud
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by dreamCloud »

The ultimate DC?!?!?!

That would be:

A Dreamcast made before October 2000 so it can play backups (it was disabled after this date).
A modchip to play imports. Yes you can play them with a boot disc but every boot disc doesn't work with every game. (I always had trouble with Rez before modchip). Plus, it adds convenience and this is the ultimate DC right?
The Total Control converter to enable Saturn controllers, PSX controllers, and normal keyboards on your 'cast. Again, ultimate.
Dance Dance Revolution mats x2 for DDR and Feet of Fury play.
Samba de Amigo maracas x2 for Samba play.
Virtua On twin stick controller (rare as heck).
Dreamcast keyboard (the official one because it's official) x2 (or use a total control for a PC one) for Typing of the Dead co-op play.
Dreamcast Mouse (ditto). Also great for Unreal Tournament, Quake 3, Half-Life, and Outtrigger.
4 DC controllers.
2 Lightguns (I still have yet to find the best brand of these, they all seem to be inaccurate).
A broadband adapter for PSO private server and official Quake 3 online play (plus fast internet).
2 Arcade stick controllers for all of the fighters out there.
A Mad Catz analog flight stick (again, rare).
VMUs and 4x memory sticks because you want to access special VMU content and be able to save all those game files.
4 controller extension cords because the defaults are pretty short.
2 fishing controllers (1 for just fishing games and 2 to play virtua tennis and SoulCalibur like a wii controller).
S-Video cable/composite video cable, VGA converter cable or modded box, and the default RCA cable for outputs.
A VMU to PC connector to download all the unlocked saves and songs (useful for dancing games or Samba if you have a party dreamcast like me and want to just hop into the action with friends) from the internet sites that have them.
Then there's also the bizarre Karoake machine attachment (the service that came with it no longer exists but maybe a homebrew dev will use it for something in the future?) that is very rare and the DreamEye digital camera (that really has no use outside of video conferencing because you can only view images on the dreamcast).

But if you really wanted the ultimate dreamcast, you'd want an official Diver's 2000 edition of the Sega Dreamcast:

Comes complete with a web package, video-conference software that works with the DreamEye, headset-mic, and media viewing package all pre-built into a high resolution monitor.