Are ecs motherboards any good?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Mattiethomas
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Are ecs motherboards any good?

Post by Mattiethomas »

I found a good combo for a pentium 4 3.2ghz and it comes with an ecs motherboard. The reason I might buy these is is because i need a new motherboard and processor, as mine is an AMD duron 1.2ghz. I'm not sure the specs on the mobo but I'm just wondering if ecs are decent motherboards.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

I bought one a while back while making the transition between PCI and AGP. The motherboard had AGP, and it had PCI slots (of course). I was using a PCI graphics card and saving up for a nice AGP graphics card.

I finally purchased an AGP graphics card... and the AGP slot was dead.

By the time I purchased the AGP graphics card, the motherboard could no longer be returned.

Don't buy ECS.
It's thinking...
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I seem to recall owning a motherboard made by ECS a long time ago. It burnt up on me in less then 1 year and they wouldn't replace it. This was back during the pentium 2 500ish megahertz days.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Cyphix
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Cyphix »

I dislike ECS too, crapped out on me a year and a half after I bought it.

I bought a nice ASUS instead... great mobo's.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Heh, as if he needed more reason not to buy this board...

My friend owned one of those boards. Had it for about 4 months when all of the sudden something shorted on the board and took out everything that was attached to the PCI and AGP slots. It set him back for months trying to replace the parts. When he contacted ECS about it, they would only replace the board and not the components attached to it. I don't remember all the hoops he had to jump through, but he gave up since he didn't want another ECS board and was never going to get them to replace anything else. This was about 2 years ago.
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero »

ECS are not good boards, there are much better options even at the budget end (like ASRock)
theultimatechuff
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by theultimatechuff »

Depends, I would look for user reviews on specific motherboards - some of them have been great value reliable motherboards (the old socket A K7S5A's were good). I would go for a more expensive reliable brand tho.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

ECS is value crap (and purple)

id suggest Asus as a first choice, and if thats a bit to expensive, Asrock will do nicely too (Asrock is Asus' budget division)

and unless you get a pentium D 805, id suggest against intel, rather get an amd64 on socket 939
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Some of their boards are simply exact duplicates of other company's boards.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Quzar wrote:Some of their boards are simply exact duplicates of other company's boards.
called reference designs, supplied by the chipset makers, yet there still can be enough differences between brands concerning the component used, lower spec caps or Vregs can make a board less stable, same goes for the bios image
NiGHTSFTP
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by NiGHTSFTP »

In addition to Asrock, I can vouch for Biostar being awesome for a value board. I build an AMD/Biostar based system for my sister, and others I know have built biostar systems with no problems.
Signatures images may be no greater than cock pixels high by dick pixels wide in dimension and balls kilobytes in filesize. Multiple images may be wang, but in total they may not exceed the johnson specifications.
SadisticSaviorX
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by SadisticSaviorX »

I would reccomend Asus or MSI.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

NiGHTSFTP wrote:In addition to Asrock, I can vouch for Biostar being awesome for a value board. I build an AMD/Biostar based system for my sister, and others I know have built biostar systems with no problems.
seconded, i havent seen any biostar boards myself, but i hang around an overclocking focused forum, and from what i read there, Biostar makes a mean mobo
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

You can try Gigabyte as well. They are NOT for noobs in terms of computer building, but once you get one set up correctly -- that is, if you get it set up correctly -- then you've got a rock solid, powerful and cheap base rig.

Again, they are an absolute bitch to set up, but they are pretty decent boards.
Very sexy hero, omg
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

SadisticSaviorX wrote:I would reccomend Asus or MSI.
I ran on an MSI board for a year or two. It held up pretty well.

The only bad experiences I ever had with motherboards is when I had a Soyo board. That thing was horrible.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Another brand you'll see a lot at the low end is "PC Chips". This is actually the same company as ECS (ECS is technically their manufacturing division in China).
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Nick wrote:You can try Gigabyte as well. They are NOT for noobs in terms of computer building, but once you get one set up correctly -- that is, if you get it set up correctly -- then you've got a rock solid, powerful and cheap base rig.

why would you say that? ive built a gigabyte K8NS based machine for my lil brother a while ago, the only trouble i had was that the PSU was a DOA...

gigabyte is about as mainstream as it gets for mobo's if you got trouble settings one of those things up, NOFI, but your a bit of a newb
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

melancholy wrote:

The only bad experiences I ever had with motherboards is when I had a Soyo board. That thing was horrible.
I've heard a lot of people complain about Soyo boards, but I never had a problem with mine, except the BIOS never let you manually select AGP 2x/4x instead of 8x. My Linux system had a problem with AGP running at 8x, so I wanted to step it down to 4x. So instead I had to physically cut the pin on the graphics card that signalled 8x support to the motherboard.

I've built a new computer since then and I love my DFI motherboard. They're more expensive though.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Darcus Magnus wrote:
melancholy wrote:

I've heard a lot of people complain about Soyo boards, but I never had a problem with mine, except the BIOS never let you manually select AGP 2x/4x instead of 8x. My Linux system had a problem with AGP running at 8x, so I wanted to step it down to 4x. So instead I had to physically cut the pin on the graphics card that signalled 8x support to the motherboard.

I've built a new computer since then and I love my DFI motherboard. They're more expensive though.
Mine would randomly decide not to boot. I'd press the power switch, it would light up and begin to post, but then turn right back off. Whenever it would do this, I would have to open the case, remove a stick of RAM, put it right back into the slot, then turn the computer on again and it would work fine. It didn't matter what stick of RAM and it didn't matter what slot it was in. I just had to remove it, then stick it right back in. Strangest thing I ever seen.
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

Disheveled DrFreeze wrote:
Nick wrote:You can try Gigabyte as well. They are NOT for noobs in terms of computer building, but once you get one set up correctly -- that is, if you get it set up correctly -- then you've got a rock solid, powerful and cheap base rig.

why would you say that? ive built a gigabyte K8NS based machine for my lil brother a while ago, the only trouble i had was that the PSU was a DOA...

gigabyte is about as mainstream as it gets for mobo's if you got trouble settings one of those things up, NOFI, but your a bit of a newb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813128301

Basically, the board comes out of the box with a function called "IDE-SATA RAID" already enabled. The system will crash or reboot itself repeatedly if this isn't off, and there's no mention in the manual of it being on.

Secondly, you have to install the RAID functions from a floppy disc (if it's a clean boot, otherwise you have to jump through XP hoops), and that doesn't always work either. Buggy crap.

I eventually figured it out (with the help of NewEgg reviews...-_-), but the documentation is quite poor, and it really wasn't any "noob-ness" on my part.

It's a rock solid board now, you just gotta know what Gigabyte (and other board makers) have set in the BIOS.

Oh, and my PS/2 based devices won't work in the back either for some reason. And yes, I checked the BIOS.

:lol:
Very sexy hero, omg