Copy Protection

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
DcSteve
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Copy Protection

Post by DcSteve »

Rand Linden created a copy protection for the bleem discs that nobody has been able to crack thus far. Media today is under constant piracy that is costing companies billions. Wouldn't any company buy that copy protection knowledge that Rand only knows for several millions. If one were to argue that there weren't many attempts to crack the discs, youll find through searching, that people are STILL TRYING to crack it today. The emulator that the discs contain is more valuble than anything else the DC ever has/ will have. I havent seen something like that stay unpirated for so long. This protection could totally stop or at least halt disc warez for a long time.
Check out the beats of rage community at http://borrevolution.vg-network.com/
kenmasters8319
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by kenmasters8319 »

i am pretty sure if the echlon group wanted to hack the bleemcast emulator i am sure they could do it..

i need to take a look at the bleemcast cd myself i have the metal gear solid version i know anything related to bleemcast and hacking it is totally unacceptible here on dcemulation..so i will leave that to the other forums..

i dont believe that bleemcast is unhackable its just that nobody with specific knownledge on hacking bleemcast has showed any REAL intrest in doing that..

i agree though rand and his team did one heck of job in creating bleemcast kudos to them :kiss)
bender
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Re: Copy Protection

Post by bender »

DcSteve wrote:This protection could totally stop or at least halt disc warez for a long time.
No.
You'll ask why. Speaking about the reasons gets into how to crack BC

This thread it's going to be locked, at the end it's the eternal question about about how to crack bleemcast and nobody wants this, only Rand releasing the best source code ever for the dc under the GPL, if he could ;-)
DcSteve
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by DcSteve »

This topic isnt about cracking bleemcast. The point is of how extremely valuable this protection is to media companie and stopping piracy.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

if major things used the protection it would be cracked by now. odds are if it werent for the leaked beta, it would have been cracked by now. i must assume it's just that the people 'trying' to crack it are like those who show up here trying to crack it who are like 'yea imma gonna crackzor it by putting it in alcolol i20! and rippp it up!!!11'
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

So the new ID DC releases don't use Rand's copy protection? They should.
DcSteve
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by DcSteve »

id say an enhanced PS emu for dc with more features and improvements than the years old beta is one of the dc's most "major things". Im sure that even if this protection only lasted a few months before being cracked if used on mainstream media, that is still worth millions for those months of being uncracked as there is no disc software protection in its calibur even today.
kenmasters8319
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by kenmasters8319 »

thanks quzar you took the words right out of my mouth :mrgreen:
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

There is probably just general lack of interest in cracking something like bleemcast for the DC (why do something for a dead console when you can spread chaos elsewhere).
DcSteve
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by DcSteve »

When the bleem discs were released, the console was far from dead. Again, im talking about the value of having this protection, not the value of cracking it.
Rand Linden
bleemcast! Creator
bleemcast! Creator

Post by Rand Linden »

Given time and incentive, anything can be pirated.

Games for mass-market devices are typically launched by large companies with huge multi-million dollar initial sell-ins -- more than enough to recoup most costs, and well beyond the concerns of casual piracy.

Infact, the people hurt most by piracy are the tiny companies and independents -- of which, you'll surely note, there are fewer and fewer... and fewer.

That b!DC hasn't been stolen yet is certainly surprising -- but not nearly as much of a mystery as to why people are still trying to do so.

Anyone who still believes that there's a hidden "universal" emulator either hasn't listened or is too naieve to understand why it isn't so.

Rand.
DcSteve
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by DcSteve »

Yet how much money is spent suing people like the RIAA and MPAA do, and how much more more could be gained by huge companies if even casual piracy was halted for awhile. I know that coorperations have spent tons of money in protecting multimedia, but they have done so unsuccessfully and in some cases, illegally (putting a virus on the disc). Of coarse the protection will eventually be cracked, but the longer it remains uncracked, the more money they will make during that time and the more money your software protection will generate to you. Even if for a small period of time, this protection will certainly benefit every media company big and small in the globe. This protection is certainly valuable.
Rand Linden
bleemcast! Creator
bleemcast! Creator

Post by Rand Linden »

Media <> Software

Rand.
DcSteve
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by DcSteve »

It cannot be used for both? I mean disc software and disc media.
The Alchemist
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by The Alchemist »

Protecting media files (MP3, DVD etc) is a totally different thing to protecting software. The problem with audio/video DRM schemes is, if something can be seen or heard it can be recorded. The same is not true of games.

In this case, with all respect due to Rand, I doubt his protection scheme would stand up to the commercial interests of modchip makers and their development teams - just as the Xbox, PS2 and Gamecube discs were cracked in time.
Rand Linden
bleemcast! Creator
bleemcast! Creator

Post by Rand Linden »

The Alchemist wrote:In this case, with all respect due to Rand, I doubt his protection scheme would stand up to the commercial interests of modchip makers and their development teams - just as the Xbox, PS2 and Gamecube discs were cracked in time.
Rand wrote:Given time and incentive, anything can be pirated.
Rand.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

The Alchemist wrote:In this case, with all respect due to Rand, I doubt his protection scheme would stand up to the commercial interests of modchip makers and their development teams - just as the Xbox, PS2 and Gamecube discs were cracked in time.
And none of the l33t software cracker ripper d00dz have managed to rip Bleemcast yet. If you weren't aware, there was a huge Dreamcast warez scene.
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

Xylene wrote:
And none of the l33t software cracker ripper d00dz have managed to rip Bleemcast yet. If you weren't aware, there was a huge Dreamcast warez scene.
I'm sure you are correct about that, but who would care about such a thing now (DC ripping)? "Ripper d00dz" are chomping at the bit for cracking the 360.
DCDayDreamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Re: Copy Protection

Post by DCDayDreamer »

DcSteve wrote:Rand Linden created a copy protection for the bleem discs that nobody has been able to crack thus far.
Wrong!

Anyone who has any respect for Rand Linden and the Bleemcast! team would not post topics in the pseudo guise that the copy protection would be invaluable to a commercial company. Is anyone that naive to think that Rand Linden would even consider a commercial venture that directly involves the SONY lawsuit?.

Why don't people just read what Rand Linden says in his posts on the subject?

This topic should be locked.
Across the Universe
DcSteve
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by DcSteve »

DCDAY- what you just quoted me for is definetly NOT wrong, and to this day, remains true. I was wondering why Rand didnt try to get rich off his copyright scheme, and there is nothing pseudo about it. As for ventures, dispite that the protection was only used on the bleem discs, SONY can not take any legal action on the copy protection Rand as it does nothing to harm them and is not related to their suit issues. I have got the answer (any protection will be cracked with persistance), even if its not the answer I was looking for. Please close this topic now.