Questions for those who have overclocked their Dreamcasts.

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Questions for those who have overclocked their Dreamcasts.

Post by Quzar »

I would like to try to get a fair list going of who has, what clock speed they run it at and wether or not they used any sort of modified cooling. Basically I'd like to see about doing this myself eventually and want to see how the numbers pan out.

So, if you have overclocked your dreamcast, please put the clockspeed you have reached (cpu, gpu or both), if applicable, what speed of a clock generator you used, and what other modifications you made in terms of cooling.

Thanks a bundle (I may or may not start a little list in this post of everyone depending on the responses I get).
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by LyingWake »

You might wanna get in touch with fatheadpi. I think he's fairly experianced with overclocking and the benchmarks they ran at.
Morphv2
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Morphv2 »

Uh, perhaps now would be a good time to mention this. What was know of as the CPU and GPU pins arent exactly that simple. The *CPU* actually controls the FSB, not just the CPU, so it overclocks everything. And the *GPU* pin isnt actually a GPU pin at all. Its only a pixel clock. And if you think I'm crazy, just talk to the people who disect Dreamcasts at dcdev.

As for me, my 300MHz Dreamcast is almost ready :D.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Ok, for reference, I only want overclocks that have occured and what modifications were used to make them (if giving absolute clockrates is too hard).

I think I might cross-post this at DCPS to get better answers.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Morphv2
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Morphv2 »

Oh, thats easy. Gimme about a month, and I shall have a post for the books.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

300 mhz DC eh?
sounds good, you planning any voltmods? cooling mods?
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
Morphv2
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Morphv2 »

Voltage mod is nearing reality. Just gotta test the voltage line we found. Cooling mod done, which required a seperate housing for the DC GD-Rom.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Voltage mod is nearing reality. Just gotta test the voltage line we found. Cooling mod done, which required a seperate housing for the DC GD-Rom.
Nice!

Said it before, and I'll says it again:

Of the systems I've done (and from my knowledge of overclocking, which is probably no longer as great as Morph's), final clock speed should be 252Mhz and 276Mhz. I'm not really sure what exact frequency / multiplication factor is applied for the GFX pin, but we've raised the clock on that about 25%, causes V-Sync issues but on VGA seems to pick teh gameplay up a bit.

Without doing any voltage mods, I'd say around 280 is the max... if you can get more voltage in, who knows? I'm not really pioneering with the overclocking bit, I've just got a solid forumla down that I like. We've got the first DCPS OC model working well, hoping to list it after my vacation's over.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
ptr.exe
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ptr.exe »

Thanks to fatheadpi, got my DC to 252Mhz. Now hoping to get it high enough for Chrono Trigger to run smoothly - 75% during battles.
Orange_Ribbon wrote:It is also the reason why you can't wear tight pants. Damn anal warts.

Millenium Falcon Dreamcast
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Thanks to fatheadpi, got my DC to 252Mhz. Now hoping to get it high enough for Chrono Trigger to run smoothly - 75% during battles.

Glad you liked it, it should help... I did a 276/GFX and a Chrono Trigger test, seemed to move a good bit quicker than on a stock DC, need to get some framerate tests done.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

The best test for gpu overclocking would probably be (homebrew/emulator that is) PCSXDC.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

The best test for gpu overclocking would probably be (homebrew/emulator that is) PCSXDC.

How do you figure?

I haven't really decided on a benchmark test yet, just wondering why you felt this would be a good choice.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Because, last time i looked it used the 3d hardware as opposed to simply using the pvr for little things. Another good choice might be genesis plus pvr 3 or 5 or maybe the bumpmapping demos.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Because, last time i looked it used the 3d hardware as opposed to simply using the pvr for little things. Another good choice might be genesis plus pvr 3 or 5 or maybe the bumpmapping demos.

Thanks Quaze, I'll keep that in mind.
ptr.exe
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ptr.exe »

Didnt want to start a new topic, so just thought i'd post here.

At first my DC was OC'd really simply, without a switch or any other stuff. So i decided to make it a bit more professional and put a switch so i could go back to stock speed. When stock speed is selected it works fine, but if 252Mhz is selected then it boots but acts as if the DC has lost the signal for a split second, it will freeze, sometimes instantly sometimes 30 secs in. The crystal oscillator worked fine before, but i desoldered it to attach longer wire to go to the switch, perhaps i burnt it out soldering? perhaps the wire is too long? (25cm).

Any help would be great.
Orange_Ribbon wrote:It is also the reason why you can't wear tight pants. Damn anal warts.

fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

It might be signal degradation, you've got to keep your wires and paths as short as possible.
ptr.exe
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ptr.exe »

Possibly, but the wire is short as possible at only 15cm now, before it worked fine even at 30cm, as the C/O was outside the DC. I've removed the switch now and it works better, but it cuts out before the menu if they're is no disc, if there is a disc it will work 50% of the time.

Perhaps removing that 100ohm resistor in the trace would help? obviously keep the resistor in line with the 33.3Mhz but remove it in line with the C/O. Does anyone think this may blow the DC? as i really cant lose this one.

Also fatheadpi, what voltage are your C/O meant to run off? ive got it wired to the 5V rail, perhaps the C/O needs 12V? or that may just blow it.

fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

They should run off the 5V line, that's always what I've run mine off of, and that's what all the pinouts I found from Seiko said to use.
ptr.exe
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ptr.exe »

Okay, well thats not the problem then, but wtf is causing this? it worked fine before and now i really cant figure it out. It cant be the C/O as ive tried 2, perhaps its the DC? as this is a rev1 but wont clock to 276Mhz, so maybe it just doesnt like it?

Morphv2
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Morphv2 »

And once again, that is not a GPU pin, that is actually just a pxel clock pin.