Thats it, i'm buying a PSP

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Thats it, i'm buying a PSP

Post by Lunchbox »

http://www.1up.com/do/media?cId=3137178

MediEvil! :D Man I used to the play the demo endlessly when I first got my PS1
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

im probably gonna end up with both, but not till like a year after there releases and you can find them everywhere for like 50$...

not to many games on either system that make me want to buy one.
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
Muthafukin Carl
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Muthafukin Carl »

I'll get the PSP in the summer of next year, its going to replace my PS2. )()(
Currently playing:

Sega Marine fishing
Seaman
Super Mario All-Stars
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Higher possibility of homebrew>One or two exclusives with shiney gfx

For me anyway
InvisixIsLeet
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by InvisixIsLeet »

How do you think you can acheive homebrew? The PSP does NOT read CD's or mini-CD's, it reads a proprietary UMD.
Pyrosurfer
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Pyrosurfer »

He is talking about DS(homebrew) vs PSP(graphics). I remember playing the demo of Medievil many times, I never did buy the game though. It seemed like a great game.
Pyrite
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Pyrite »

Never imagined people would buy a console for MediEvil.
THAN/THEN get it right peoples!
InvisixIsLeet
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by InvisixIsLeet »

Ah ok, I thought the > was a typo. :oops:
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

I don't know, but I think PSP has a better chance at homebrew. As soon as people figure out how to load things from the Sony memory sticks, and someone gets the SDK, there will be homebrew.
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Its probably just as possible. Just Sony Memory Sticks are the most overpriced type of media on the planet
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Oh well, I found a 128MB memory stick at the LAN.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

Xylene wrote:I don't know, but I think PSP has a better chance at homebrew. As soon as people figure out how to load things from the Sony memory sticks, and someone gets the SDK, there will be homebrew.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Xylene wrote:I don't know, but I think PSP has a better chance at homebrew. As soon as people figure out how to load things from the Sony memory sticks, and someone gets the SDK, there will be homebrew.

I think people will stream software wirelessly for the DS before then. Then later they'll have flash carts.
It's thinking...
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

both systems have the same possibility of having good homebrew communities, just the PSP has a standard (although pricey) storage device (memory stick) whereas the DS uses a proprietary storage format. its just gonna take a little bit longer for the DS to have homebrew developed for it.

and i should add that Sony is marketing the psp as an all purpose entertainment device whereas the DS is simply a gaming system. nothing more. so imo, they are not competing on a level playing field.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

I really doubt that you're going to be able to run software from the memory sticks so easily. You'll have to at least wait until a 3rd party developer to develop a UMD that loads stuff from the memory stick.
It's thinking...
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

perhaps the PSP will have firmware to do that? Since Sony will likely want to push the utility of the machine as a pic viewer, mp3 player, movie player, etc.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I own Medievil for PlayStation; it was one of the very few games I really liked for the console. From what I've seen of the screenshots here, it looks like pretty much a straight remake of the original (like MGS: Twin Snakes was on GameCube).
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

As soon as people figure out how to load things from the Sony memory sticks
Not going to happen. The PSP's BIOS will simply not execute code off a memory stick, and more than the PS2 intentionally executes code off a memory card. Yes, I know about the exploit that can be used to run arbitrary code off a PS2 memory card. Considering that a MS is a more easily writiable than a PS2 MC (despite the fact that they're actually the same thing with different plugs on the end), and that Sony have already made that mistake once, I highly doubt they're going to do it again. It's not exactly difficult to prevent such things from happening anyway, assuming that you're aware of it. Sony probably are now.

If Sony do have the ability to run stuff off the memory stick (game demos, perhaps), then I would be willing to bet that they'd employ a system similar to the Xbox. Executables that do not contain the correct digital signature simply will not work unless you modify the console (an Xbox modchip is little more than a modified BIOS chip), or unless you manage to obtain the key used to sign the executable. Even the weakest digital signature algorithms would take years to crack.
both systems have the same possibility of having good homebrew communities, just the PSP has a standard (although pricey) storage device (memory stick) whereas the DS uses a proprietary storage format. its just gonna take a little bit longer for the DS to have homebrew developed for it.
The memory stick isn't exactly standard anyway, but aside from that, there is no reason for the PSP to run any old program off a memory stick. If Sony did allow that, you'd have someone able to run software on it inside a month, and copied games along with a loader that you can just dump on a memory stick within two months, and it will be able to completely bypass all of the security measures already in place. Consider how much effort Sony put into preventing people from running arbitrary code on the PS1 and PS2, and how they keep changing the design to try to stop modchips from being effective.

The DS appears to transmit multiboot images over the wireless hardware completely unencrypted and uncompressed, and with no apparent security measures. So far, people have managed to log a complete game image (from Mario, I think), and can even get the image to load itself into a (simplisitc) emulator. All someone needs to do is figure out the remaining parts of the wireless protocol, and work out how to send custom programs to the DS. The only part remaining to be worked out, as far as I know, is the packet checksum, which is only 32 bits anyway so it's not likely to use any kind of complex encryption or anything.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Vchat20 wrote:and i should add that Sony is marketing the psp as an all purpose entertainment device whereas the DS is simply a gaming system. nothing more. so imo, they are not competing on a level playing field.
That's not really significant, since Sony markets everything they sell as an 'All Purpose Entertainment Device.'
megaman8x
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by megaman8x »

and i should add that Sony is marketing the psp as an all purpose entertainment device whereas the DS is simply a gaming system. nothing more. so imo, they are not competing on a level playing field.

just like the ps2x? lol who actually bought one of those