Laserdisc VS DVD

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.

Which is cooler Laserdisc or DVD?

Laserdisc
55%
DVD
45%

Total votes: 31
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Laserdisc VS DVD

Post by Calavera »

Which one wins in coolness?
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Been thanked: 0

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Laserdisks hold about 25 minutes of fairly crappily encoded video and are the size of an LP.

DVDs can hold over 2 hours of high quality encoded video and are the size of a standard CD.

so... yeah.
Sub Woofer
DCEmu Cop
DCEmu Cop

Post by Sub Woofer »

Nyarlathotep wrote:Laserdisks hold about 25 minutes of fairly crappily encoded video and are the size of an LP.

DVDs can hold over 2 hours of high quality encoded video and are the size of a standard CD.

so... yeah.
Errgh? *Tim Allen sound*

Laserdisc's can hold a lot more than that! I've got some laserdiscs that hole around 6 hours or so of footage, (even more if it's doublesided) and they're just about on par with DVD Quality.

Then again, DVD's can hole a lot more than what you mentioned, but I guess your over-exxagerating.

I can remember some laserdiscs even had some form of Directors commentry, and other added extra's back in the day.

The real answer to this question however it's DVD's. Why? well, because it's newer technology that is. Laserdisc's have been around for over 20 years, (remember the Dragon's Lair Arcade games? They ran of a laserdisc player.) which explains the enormous size.

DVD's are much newer technology, therefore they can hold much more data and have faster read times.

Spiderman! Spiderman! Friendy Neighbourhood Spiderman!
Spins a web... any size..... catches thiefs, just like flies!
WATCH OUT... here comes the Spiderman!
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

DVD by far

The technology is newer, its been embraced by the world more (Id never even heard of laserdisc until my american uncle mentioned he had a player).
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

erm... He said cooler, not better :P As in coolness factor... I'd say Laserdisc because they're old and not many people have heard of them.
It's thinking...
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Yeah, I agree.. when it comes to coolness.. Laserdisc beats dvd.. its just much cooler.
MDPBlackout
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by MDPBlackout »

I'd say dvd because the only laserisc ive seen was at school and it was educational
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

How is something cool just because its old?

DVDs are so much cooler, the majority of dvd players are silver, which is better than black, the cases are sleeker, the discs are smaller, they hold more data, they have new movies on.
djray
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by djray »

BoneyCork wrote:How is something cool just because its old?
well that's easy... if you look at music... most of the crap they put out nowadays doesn't even compare to the classics back then!
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

There is wrong information on this thread. Allow me to correct.

First, the video on LDs isn't really "encoded". It is an analog format, so it is uncompressed. The audio is the exact same format as audio CDs, usually. DVDs, on the other hand, are heavily compressed. It's just a very good compression scheme.

Both are similar in "resolution" (LD doesn't have a true resolution, niether do VHS or CEDs, since they're not a digital format, but as best as they can be compared it is only a bit worse - usually stated at like 15-20% worse on the places I've seen it). On a high end LD player, they are very comparable to DVDs. LDs have analog artifacting, whereas DVDs have digital artifacting. Generally, analog artifacting is more noticable, but not always.

LDs hold either 30 or 60 minutes per side of a disc. CAV (constant angular velocity) discs hold 30 minutes, the picture quality is a TINY TINY bit better, and you can freeze frame and still see the picture and also do frame advance. CLV (constant linear velocity) LDs hold 60, and you can't pause it and still see the picture or do frame advance. Most LDs are CLV, both because it reduces the number of discs and the convenience (less flipping/swapping discs). Some LD players can switch sides, but most can not.

Later LDs do have 5.1 dolby digital, but not that many of them. I'm not positive but I believe there are also a very few DTS LDs.

LDs can not hold 6 hours on one side. Some do have DVD features though, which you could count as that long I guess - like the movies entire script, things like that.

LDs have both a digital audio track and an analog audio track. Typically, on a disc with special features, the commentary tracks are on the analog, and they'll often use only the left or right channel so that they can have two seperate tracks (like VCDs use left and right to have two languages). For example, the Criterion Goldfinger LD. Digital track is a remixed 5.1 track. The right analog is a commentary from people. And the left is the original mono soundtrack. Good stuff, and it also has all the documentaries and crap the DVD has.

I think LDs are slightly cooler. DVDs are NOT lethal weapons, after all. It just is nifty, kind of how I think vinyls are nifty. I still buy LDs once in a while, both in movies with no DVD (Once Upon a Time in the West, only has a crappy full frame dubbed in Italian version) or crappy DVDs (the Howling, which I haven't gotten yet, but it has a GREAT LD with GREAT features and the DVD is bare).
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

I'll dust off my Laserdisc player when I feel like stopping 4 times during a movie, to swap/flip the discs :roll:
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Firthy2002
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Firthy2002 »

Never used Laserdisc so I can't really comment. Although I do know that there are movies on LD that have yet to get a DVD release.
"The video game market is troubled..." - |darc|
---
My LiveJournal
---
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

I think Laserdiscs are closer to properly-encoded SVCDs to be honest, although I haven't seen too many, and those I did see were quite a few years ago.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

DVD definately, well it would be but for 1 fact original Star Wars trilogy is on LD & not DVD :(
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Hawq wrote:DVD definately, well it would be but for 1 fact original Star Wars trilogy is on LD & not DVD :(
And VideoCD. George Lucas doesn't like DVD because he thinks it's going to be another failed format :?.
someoneElse
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by someoneElse »

Hawq wrote:DVD definately, well it would be but for 1 fact original Star Wars trilogy is on LD & not DVD :(
And they never will be... acording to Lucas, the Trillogy will never again see the light of day in it's original form...;(

So it's either wait around for the lesser and seemingly distraction-oriented 'special' (ahem) editions on DVD, or away to Laserdisk or piracy you will go...;)

The *cough* ones floating around on ebay and the likes taken from the laserdisks are horribly expensive, about three times what one based on the 'special' edition laserdisks are, last I saw.

I may just break down and encode my fresh barely played VHS set of the originals and burn them to DVD. It won't be any better than VHS quality, but at least I'd know I wasn't destroying the video more and more for every second I saw it.

I'll admit it, I am a DVD whore. There, I said it.
Can you survive Darwin's Blade? Sign up Today
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:I'll dust off my Laserdisc player when I feel like stopping 4 times during a movie, to swap/flip the discs :roll:
How often do you watch movies of 4 hour+ length?
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

az_bont wrote:
And VideoCD. George Lucas doesn't like DVD because he thinks it's going to be another failed format :?.
George Lucas is a crazy old guy.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

It annoys me how George Lucas is so friggin big on digital this and digital that and digital film making blah blah blah. But he's had really HORRIBLE support for DVDs...
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

are laser discs those big things that are the size of a record but have a square white plastic box on the outside i have one on these things somewhere i never had to swap discs during a movie though