What is the Reason for Slow DreamSNES?

Anything DreamSNES-related can be asked in this forum, such as general questions about the emulator, how to burn it, etc.
Walker101B
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What is the Reason for Slow DreamSNES?

Post by Walker101B »

Why does this emulator work so slow? Are their plans to perfect it? Can they even perfect it?
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

The emulator works at less than full speed because it's still a work in progress. Try some games like Donkey Kong Country 1-3. They're all close to full-speed. Also, The Super Star Wars games work well. Those are just a few. I'm sure you can find more.
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

Hahahahaha! I remember being a newbie, but here's some advice: don't diss the emu or you'll get flamed and/or complained to BIG TIME. Yes, DreamSnes is still in developement and there ARE plans to make it run better, but until it works better, try the PERFECT NES or GAMEBOY emulators. These are some playable games. NONE of these games run flawlessly, but these run the best! Also, when using DreamSnes, turing transparencies and/or sound off in the menu will really increase the speed. Trust me, in time, you'll enjoy DreamSnes a lot more. I used to hate the speed, but I hardly notice it now.

Smash TV
Punch Out
Battletoads Double Dragon
Wario's Woods
Q Bert 3
Zombies Ate my Neighbors
Joe and Mac
Lemmings 1
Magical Drop 1
Mario Paint
Mario and Wario
Ms. Pacman
Side Pocket

^ These games should run really smooth with sound turned on and transparencies turned off. Please enjoy!

For people that can't stand skippy games, play THESE with sound turned ON and transparencies OFF for EXTREME playability...... {These run around 95-100% smoothness with full speed the whole time, which means NO slowdown}

Smash TV
Punch Out
Battletoads Double Dragon
Wario's Woods
Q Bert 3
Mario and Wario
Ms. Pacman

Spreading his inquiries all over the net!

<^_^>
karsten
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by karsten »

by the way isn't about a year passed since last release? :?:
I'll create a monument to non-existance! -Kefka, FFVI
http://www.auritech.com
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Last release was October 31st 2002 (hence the pumpkins)
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Last release was October 31st 2002 (hence the pumpkins)
SchmuckofNI
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by SchmuckofNI »

Almost a year since an update to their site too. It would be nice to hear something even an hello would make me happy.
deived
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by deived »

I hope that didnt stop working on it. They wree getting so close.
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

Almost a year since an update to their site too.
Well they only update the site when they have a new release..
SchmuckofNI wrote:It would be nice to hear something..
sqrt(-1)+1 [No, he isn't Marcus or Peter but he did have something to do with Dsnes. I think he might have done one of the hidden games.] posted in this forum today. Is that good enough for you?
frogcoin
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by frogcoin »

well besides it was almost a year from 0.9.3 and 0.9.4 i think, relax and lets wait until october 31 to see what happens :mrgreen:

theres not much time until that day :wink:
who knows maybe they making a bigger and last release with everything running perfect (1.0)
FlashPV
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by FlashPV »

I just hope they've got a new sound core written in SH4 asm since it seems to be the slowest part of Dreamsnes. :P
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

wasn't it already written in SH4 asm?

<^_^>
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Nah, just the main CPU emulator, which isn't really a major component of a SNES. The two most complex components on a standard SNES (no extra chips) are the sound system followed by the video system. Neither of those were written in SH-4 assembly.
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

The video core isnt asm, so there's something to rewrite. Sound I'm not sure on, CPU core is obviously asm. I'd guess if they were going for speed that's what they'd do. They obviously have the know-how to rewrite it. Its just a massive undertaking.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

It's pretty much as difficult, if not more difficult, than writing it in the first place.
karsten
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by karsten »

BlackAura wrote:Last release was October 31st 2002 (hence the pumpkins)
I hope NOT this release will exit on 31 october... by that day the holydays are over. :evil:
I'll create a monument to non-existance! -Kefka, FFVI
http://www.auritech.com
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

Dang! This post is getting pretty long. Well, I personally think that the next release should be promising. Of course, we have no idea when the next release will be, right? But we DO know that the problem is the sound, so shouldn't it be easier to fix? I know that this isn't always true, but hey, the muted speed with transparencies off is fast enough for me. If it gets to THAT speed WITH sound and transparencies I could easily live with DreamSnes. But this brings me to another problem.....Is is just me, or do other people realize that some games run better with sound then without sound? I mean, on Battletoads Double Dragon and Ms. Pacman, the games get a lot more glitchly then with sound. Please let me know if you've noticed this in any games. Thanks, and SEEYA!

<^_^>
jjoepr
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by jjoepr »

Maybe they took A Little time off. If you call almost a year a little time. Version 0.9.9? :nonoaliens:
jjoepr
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by jjoepr »

Just Hope the next release will have a faster frame rate for some more :!: of my favorite games.
impact135
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by impact135 »

no you guys are wrong none of those games are full speed becuase they have frameskipping.. a game isnt full speed untill its the same speed as it would be on a real snes WITH SOUND.

I have tried over 100 snes games on the dreamcast and NONE of them run as good as they do on my real snes.

It has been over a YEAR since we have even heard from the dreamsnes team, i dont think they are working on it (i wish they were but lets be realistic here )

yes they did a great job so far, but theres a lot of work that still needs to be done and i really wish they would share their research with someone who will work on it because it doesnt look like they care about the project anymore, i think that instead of letting the project go to waste they should make it public domain or whatever its called and let the dreamcast emulation community take over the project. (only if the dreamsnes team isnt workin on it of course)

It just baffles my mind how a 200mhz machine has trouble emuating a machine thats 50x slower. The genesis emulator (i cant mention the name here) is FULL SPEED with sound (the sound is crap though).. and the genesis is faster then the snes.

I dont mean to be pessimistic (i think thats how its spelled) but we havent seen an update in over a year or even one word from the dreamsnes team that they are in fact working on the project. I think that snes is one of the greatest if not the greatest console ever created and i really wish i could play snes games on the dreamcast and it would be like on a real snes but thats not looking too likely.. im glad i have over 43 carts of snes games but being able to play all those games on the dreamcast (perfect speed , and sound) would be a dream come true. Theres lots of games that i have to use the pc to play becuase i cant find the carts or they are too expensive for me.

All in all, i HOPE that the dreamsnes team is still working on the emulator but i doubt it. Yes the dreamsnes is slow right now, (i dont accept framskippin and having to turn off sound as full speed). for now i will have to play snes games on my real snes and on my pc.. but i dream of a day i can play them full speed full sound on my dreamcast..

THIs is not to KNOCK the dreamsnes developers at all!! i am very pleased and im sure there are a lot of people here that are very pleased that there is even a working snes emulator on dreamcast. Its not near completion though and i wish it was .