Deee-lite Singer Sues Sega (space channel)

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
polochon
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Deee-lite Singer Sues Sega (space channel)

Post by polochon »

:o

Deee-lite Singer Sues Sega

Video game character called a rip-off

Kierin Kirby (a.k.a. Lady Miss Kier), formerly of the pop-dance act Deee-lite, is suing the Sega video game company for allegedly copping her image, vibe and trademark diva looks.

more here : http://www.rollingstone.com/news/newsar ... ?nid=17976

hum........... yes there's similarities 8-) : http://www.rollingstone.com/photos/bigp ... cf=609&bc=
Le site sur l'?mulation dreamcast en fran?ais c'est http://www.dcreload.fr.st

oggy aka polochon ;)
-Azathoth-
Jounin Shinobi
Jounin Shinobi

Post by -Azathoth- »

I read it......and sad to say she has a point. Sega even tried to license her, but she refused.
"Deviantart is the home of messed up emo kids"
farrell2k
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by farrell2k »

You cannot trademark a "look". Nothing is stopping anyone from making and profiting from a fictional character that you assume looks like you.

You cannot trademark a "vibe" I suppose that defines the way she acts? Anyway, it cannot be trademarked.

Her dance moves can be trademarked.

It's not good for Sega that they tried to pay her.
zero
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by zero »

i think this is just dumb, and its just some dumb assed singer trying to make more money cos she is passed her sell by date.
mariobro
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mariobro »

An over-the-hill dance-pop singer jus' tryin' to get paid...

Admittedly, she was hot, but her last (and only) hit single was "Groove is in the Heart", back in 1990! (I remember that summer well...)

It's laughable, since it only reminds people of how washed-up she is.

But Sega also has its fair share of dumb lawsuits. I remember when they tried to sue to get out of paying royalties to Ralph Baer, the inventor of videogames, for his patents on sprite animation... they lost, of course... a cool 5 million bucks.
"Until I finally made it, life was kinda hit or miss...
And I'd love to talk philosophy, but I gotta take a piss"
-David Lee Roth
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

Sega has won its fair share of dumb lawsuits they hold the patent on changing camera angels in game the Big N went ahead and made mario 64 with changing camera angles sega did nothing so a ton of psx developers just went ahead and starting doing it to sega sued all the small wons and won like 9.7 million and from 1992-2002 all developers had to pay sega a small royality like 10 cents a game or something if they used changing camera angles. Sega pretty much lost all this to atari they got sued for some illegal use of atari hardware patents sega setteled invested 4 million in atari and atari got the right to distribute a few sega games 2 months after this ruling atari went belly up sega should have just bought them but that deal with atari is how hasbro landed the rights to release daytona usa in the usa on dreamcast it owned atari and atari had that deal
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

SuperMegatron change your damn sig before 'someone' does it for you :x
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

It is kinda similar, but not enough to sue her. Be like the U.S. Army sueing cause there was a game made that looks like U.S. Solders. Sadly with America's horrible court system she might just win. Even if she don't it will hurt Sega since they gotta pay to defend themselves.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Sega tried to license her... she refused... and then they made a game that looks like her. I don't blame her.
It's thinking...
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Im going to have to download some mp3's of her and see if they sound similar. Err I mean go find albums of her and pay money for them...not download them....
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Eww sounds nothing like SC5 (Part 1 anyways). Women should have taken Sega's money when they offered to make the game based on her.
mariobro
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mariobro »

I guess she claims there's an uncany resemblance between Ulala and her. Frankly, I don't see it. In her prime, Ms. Kier was way hotter than Ulala. Ulala just looks like your cookie-cutter Japanese female character.
"Until I finally made it, life was kinda hit or miss...
And I'd love to talk philosophy, but I gotta take a piss"
-David Lee Roth
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Kate Archer from NOLF has a better case.....
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

mariobro wrote:I guess she claims there's an uncany resemblance between Ulala and her. Frankly, I don't see it. In her prime, Ms. Kier was way hotter than Ulala. Ulala just looks like your cookie-cutter Japanese female character.
The outfits looked like they was somewhat similar in style. But that is like a singer sueing somebody cause they both wear bell bottom jeans. Id like to say she don't have a case. But the U.S. has a horrible court system so she actually might win. Lets just hope her lawyer don't use the Wookie tactics.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

ODCM did an article on how SC5 and LMK were 'separated at birth' with a comparison of the two... and theres no suit? I don't really have an opinion cause I don't have SC5 or listen to Dee-Lite but it sounds to me like she has a case..
It's thinking...