New Macbook Pro

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DaMadFiddler »

The difference is that the Mac touchpads recognize multiple simultaneous touches, and they use that. One finger movement moves the cursor around. Two finger movement scrolls. Normal tap clicks. Tap with two fingers right-clicks. It's a lot better than what I had to do with my Fujitsu laptop, which was designate the far edge as a scrollbar, and set up a hot corner for the right-click. I also like the fact that when you're dragging something with the mouse on a Mac touchpad, it delays for a moment after you lift your finger, so you have time to reset and continue dragging rather than have it immediately drop as in Windows.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

Darcus Magnus wrote:Same experience here with my MacBook. Really, with Macs being on Intel nowadays, I don't see any reason to buy a normal PC unless you need to buy a sub-$1000 machine more powerful than the mini.
Oh I don't know maybe to get a reasonable price on a computer. But whatever.
APE wrote:
DaMadFiddler wrote:Also, sad as it is to admit, Intel has finally put itself legitimately back in front of AMD. The Core Duo and Core2 Duo are both excellent products, both in terms of performance and in power consumption. The new Intel chips absolutely spank the Athlon 64x2, and AMD is (sadly) fast losing ground on the price-to-performance value as well.

It'll be interesting to see what the future holds.
Cut AMD some slack, the x2s are tech thats been out for quite a while where as the Intel chips are brand spankin new. Only a matter of time before they catch up or at least push Intel further again.
Amd has nothing planned until atleast summer 07. They are fucked for the next year.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Wagh wrote:
Darcus Magnus wrote:Same experience here with my MacBook. Really, with Macs being on Intel nowadays, I don't see any reason to buy a normal PC unless you need to buy a sub-$1000 machine more powerful than the mini.
Oh I don't know maybe to get a reasonable price on a computer. But whatever.
The prices aren't really much different. The problem is that Apple doesn't have a proper low end. Therefore the "unless you need to buy a sub-$1000 machine more powerful than the mini."
It's thinking...
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

The prices really are.
Giving H-E-A-D head
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Wagh wrote:The prices really are.
Awesome.
It's thinking...
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

Let's play dress up for a few minutes.

MacBook stock:
1.83ghz Core Duo
512mb RAM
13.3" Screen
Combo Drive
Intel GMA 950
60gb drive
Video Camera
Remote
Bluetooth/802.11g
Mac OS X 10.4
$1099 with Edu Discount

Dell Inspiron E1405 (Upgraded to match MacBook as best as possible)
1.83 Core Duo
512mb ram
14.1" LCD
Combo Drive
Intel GMA 950
60gb HDD
Bluetooth/802.11g
Windows XP Professional Edition
Media Buttons on laptop

As I have it right now (and feel free to go to Dell.com and do the same) the price is at: $1,014

Personally, the $86 price difference makes up for the superior design, build, OS, and bundled software, but that's just me.

Yes I realize *smart* people like us will find 20% off crazy Dell coupons, but for the average joe building a laptop to take to college, they will find this.

You do realize that Dell slaps on the name "Core 2 Duo in the Inspiron 1405 -> $635!"... but the 635 includes a Core Solo processor.... an OEM Windows MC edition (without discs), and a shady 802.11g card....

Good day sir!
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

I'm fairly impressed with your ability to use dell.com. It still doesn't prove at all to me that it's a better deal.

I'm not talking average joe here. If you know enough to get online however and I'd assume most people here do it really isn't that hard to search for cheaper laptops. Yeah yeah they arnt the major brands but whatever.

Of course you could even talk about whitebooks and how much cheaper it is to build a better laptop. But I'll let that slide :P

Ps. I have one of those "shady" 802.11g cards ( Intel Pro Wireless ) works wonderfully. Picks up signal when most people can't.
Giving H-E-A-D head
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

No no no no, the Intel Pro Wireless is the upgraded card, I had one of those in my ThinkPad and it was great. The card I was talking about is a step below that, and costs $44 dollars less (without bluetooth module as well), and it simply labelled "Dell 802.11b/g".

Edit: Forget it, I concede that you can get a much cheaper computer that is equally as powerful for several hundred dollars cheaper. Nobody should buy Apple hardware, it is simply not a "good deal".
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

MulletMan13 wrote:No no no no, the Intel Pro Wireless is the upgraded card, I had one of those in my ThinkPad and it was great. The card I was talking about is a step below that, and costs $44 dollars less (without bluetooth module as well), and it simply labelled "Dell 802.11b/g".

I am not sure where you are going with my inability to create a good machine... the best way to disprove me would be to create a more powerful/more full featured computer for much cheaper than $1099.

I'm sure it can be done, but I'm just curious since the one I created was pretty much on par with the MacBook and cost nearly the same.
mullet clearly you are wrong since all apple computers are over priced, don't support right clicking, and are only more secure than windows xp because nobody uses macs.
stagg
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by stagg »

Covar wrote:
MulletMan13 wrote:No no no no, the Intel Pro Wireless is the upgraded card, I had one of those in my ThinkPad and it was great. The card I was talking about is a step below that, and costs $44 dollars less (without bluetooth module as well), and it simply labelled "Dell 802.11b/g".

I am not sure where you are going with my inability to create a good machine... the best way to disprove me would be to create a more powerful/more full featured computer for much cheaper than $1099.

I'm sure it can be done, but I'm just curious since the one I created was pretty much on par with the MacBook and cost nearly the same.
mullet clearly you are wrong since all apple computers are over priced, don't support right clicking, and are only more secure than windows xp because nobody uses macs.
But you, you my friend are a woman.