The Wii Homebrew Channel Released.

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: The Wii Homebrew Channel Released.

Post by Lartrak »

The one thing I want to know is if this will be patched out or not. Likely?
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Lartrak wrote:The one thing I want to know is if this will be patched out or not. Likely?
The latest Wii software update has already fixed the exploit that this uses, but the Wii lets software choose (once it's been verified authentic) which firmware it wants to run on (the system stores previous firmware versions) for compatibility reasons. IOS37, the latest update, fixes this exploit, but since the Wii system menu still specifies using IOS30, the exploit is still active at the system menu.

That means that once a system update is released that has the menus using IOS37, the homebrew channel will not authenticate. This won't brick your Wii or anything, though.
It's thinking...
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Hasney wrote:
|darc| wrote:
Lartrak wrote:The one thing I want to know is if this will be patched out or not. Likely?
The latest Wii software update has already fixed the exploit that this uses, but the Wii lets software choose (once it's been verified authentic) which firmware it wants to run on (the system stores previous firmware versions) for compatibility reasons. IOS37, the latest update, fixes this exploit, but since the Wii system menu still specifies using IOS30, the exploit is still active at the system menu.

That means that once a system update is released that has the menus using IOS37, the homebrew channel will not authenticate. This won't brick your Wii or anything, though.
Maybe not: http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl ... 25/1818246

There is also a patcher out which tells a WAD/ISO which IOS to use.
Did you give me a specific post to read? I don't see anything in the story related to whether or not this could be patched out.

I guess it could be a manner of running the Twilight Hack with a patcher and patching the Wii system menu. But at the same time I don't think it would be hard for Nintendo to make an IOS request override for a specific title, forcing Twilight Princess to use a fixed IOS that they tested extensively under the new IOS.
It's thinking...
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

It's thinking...
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

This update blocks the Twilight hack, has apparently bricked a few homebrew channel enabled Wiis, and also has stopped freeloader working QQ
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

Son of a bitch. I just installed the update last night, after checking Wiibrew to see if there was any information.

At that time, I didn't find any info on Wiibrew, so I went ahead and installed it.

I hope it doesn't do anything to my Wii.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

So, here's what I've heard about it (from sitting around in the Wiibrew IRC channel last night, and from what's been posted on hackmii):
  • There is a few functions whose only purpose seems to be to detect and remove the Twilight Hack as it stands today.
  • There is a workaround in progress for the Twilight Hack (it may already be done, but its not released). Apparently the functions written for finding/deleting it were... dumb.
  • The signing code that was fixed in IOS37 (which is still not used) has been ported down to IOS30 (which is what the System Menu uses). IOS31 was apparently changed as well.
  • The Homebrew Channel is not affected, as the System Menu does not check signatures on already installed channels. If you have it installed, it'll still work. Assuming you could still boot the installer (which of course is not possible until an updated Twilight Hack is released), you could still install it, once the installer blacklists the new IOS30 and IOS31 (any Wii program can change the version of IOS that is being run at will to any other version already installed).
That's pretty much what comes to my mind at the second.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Lo and behold!

http://hackmii.com/2008/06/wii-menu-tp- ... mment-1261

Two bugs to make it so that Twilight Hack can work again. :mrgreen:
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

Somehow my homebrew channel is installed, but won't launch things anymore after the update?
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

Hasney wrote:
|darc| wrote:

Maybe not: http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl ... 25/1818246

There is also a patcher out which tells a WAD/ISO which IOS to use.
I love how the toolchains are getting the attention that they are. It's great.