Pipe dream?

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
Kevin Beckman
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Pipe dream?

Post by Kevin Beckman »

I'm thinking about making some major hardware modifications to a Dreamcast. Like replacing the GD rom with a DVD+RW drive(Not because I want to be able to burn DVDs on it, but because it can read both CLV and CAV format). Am I correct in assuming I would only need to worry about the firmware and bios in this situation?
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Re: Pipe dream?

Post by |darc| »

I would say, yes, this is a pipe dream. Unless you have the open source for both the drive's firmware and the firmware/BIOS of the DC, I would say that this is impossible.
It's thinking...
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

It could probably be done with an FPGA (or maybe a high-end microcontroller) between the DC and the drive, but that represents a pretty considerable engineering effort. If you just want a DVD reader attached, it would make a lot more sense to build a G2-IDE interface.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Kevin Beckman
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Kevin Beckman »

Well the DVD+RW wasn't gonna be the only mod. The finally product was gonna see most of the original hardware gone.

However before I begin that project I'm gonna try to mod a Naomi board to play Dreamcast games and from there mod the Naomi 2 to play Dreamcast games. Just to get a good handle on what I'm doing. Obviously getting the source for the firmware and BIOS will be top priority.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Kevin Beckman wrote:Well the DVD+RW wasn't gonna be the only mod. The finally product was gonna see most of the original hardware gone.

However before I begin that project I'm gonna try to mod a Naomi board to play Dreamcast games and from there mod the Naomi 2 to play Dreamcast games. Just to get a good handle on what I'm doing. Obviously getting the source for the firmware and BIOS will be top priority.
Pretty much impossible.
kohan69
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by kohan69 »

your only possibility is using the parallel port for ide support.

google:
bsd hard drive dreamcast
Kevin Beckman
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Kevin Beckman »

That's alright I've scrapped that idea entirely. I'm shooting for a USB port now.