What the hell do you do for a living?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Re: What the hell do you do for a living?

Post by melancholy »

I'm working at Best Buy until I graduate from Ball State with my design degree. My boss at work is trying to help me hook up with some people on the corporate level so that when I graduate, I might just move to Minnesota and work for Best Buy's design house. But more than likely I'll end up just getting a small design job for some local studio instead.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

I'm a multimedia Developer/DVD Author.
I work in a production/e-learning company and handle all the web/cd-rom/dvd stuff. It's fairly interesting stuff but now I've built templates for everything I do most of my time is spent copying and pasting, so not the most demanding or creative work, but it pays fairly well.
I also do freelance graphic/web design once in a while, not nearly enough to cover my bills but enough to pay for a few DVDs a month and a way to get out that stifled creativity in me ;) I intend to actually do this full time in the future but at the moment I'm moving into my own flat and getting married in 7 weeks so job plans have gone out of the window right now.
JellyWarrior
General Jelly
General Jelly
Been thanked: 0

Post by JellyWarrior »

By night I am a millionaire cowboy astronaut.

By day I run my own web development business.
I've been fairly small time for the past few years but it's exciting times at the moment because after a lot of planning and work I am about to go to the next level of my "master plan" (within the next month). It's gonna mean a whole lota work but also a whole lota fun too I hope.
I am involved in : Mytalk | Comet TV | Distinctive Web Services
StriderXg2
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Location: http://www.youtube.com/rkotm for my films about gaming and such.

Post by StriderXg2 »

mrandyk wrote:
StriderXg2 wrote:The position? Flying J truck stop/retail/restaurant manager. Better than instocking i suppose.
Also lets hear some crazy work stories, knowing the people on this forum there have to be a bunch of hilarious and crazy ones.
Yeah, id love to too, i even asked for that earlier when i started it, and i guess it got overlooked, in bold and all.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

I'm working a crappy job in retail right now.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

melancholy wrote:I'm working at Best Buy until I graduate from Ball State with my design degree. My boss at work is trying to help me hook up with some people on the corporate level so that when I graduate, I might just move to Minnesota and work for Best Buy's design house. But more than likely I'll end up just getting a small design job for some local studio instead.
If you end up in Minnesota, I'm taking you out for drinks.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

pixel wrote:
melancholy wrote:I'm working at Best Buy until I graduate from Ball State with my design degree. My boss at work is trying to help me hook up with some people on the corporate level so that when I graduate, I might just move to Minnesota and work for Best Buy's design house. But more than likely I'll end up just getting a small design job for some local studio instead.
If you end up in Minnesota, I'm taking you out for drinks.
I hear Minnesota's Crazy Carrot Juice Bars are an absolute riot.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

Right now i'm working at Geek Squad, and a full time student.

And for all the crap that geek squad gets for not fixing computers, i was kind of surprised at the work we have to do. yeah some of it is extremely simple and boring, but there's other times where you really have to spend all you time trying to fix a major problem.
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
CupNoodle
Jim Dandy!

Post by CupNoodle »

I work in a home for people with developmental disabilities. I shower, change, feed, administer medication and play Goldeneye with them all day. Fulltime student on the side.
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

I deliver pizzas.

Hopefully when I start school in the fall I can stop doing it.
Where's toastman? I'm bored.
JKKDARK
Choking On Cock 24/7
Choking On Cock 24/7

Post by JKKDARK »

I'm working in the street
CupNoodle
Jim Dandy!

Post by CupNoodle »

HOOKER
Last edited by CupNoodle on Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CupNoodle
Jim Dandy!

Post by CupNoodle »

HOOKER
Ceeg
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Ceeg »

Department Manager at Walmart and hopefully Assistant Manager this time next year.
XtremeWRATH-360 Gamertag
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Right now, I'm a full-time intern at Microsoft (Ironic, eh?).

When I get back home at the end of August, I'll go back to being a full-time student, and working in a grocery store (Bakery clerk and Cashier).
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

BlueCrab wrote:Right now, I'm a full-time intern at Microsoft (Ironic, eh?).

When I get back home at the end of August, I'll go back to being a full-time student, and working in a grocery store (Bakery clerk and Cashier).
Go BlueCrab. Some people may consider Microsoft "the devil", but it is still a good company to work for from what I understand (from a developer's perspective).

Right now I am an everything-computer-related person for an EMR VAR. I'm the Network/System Admin, Database Admin, Developer, Webmaster, etc. We're tiny.
I'm also doing some freelance contracting on the side. (in C# nonetheless).
No signature.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

toastman wrote:

Go BlueCrab. Some people may consider Microsoft "the devil", but it is still a good company to work for from what I understand (from a developer's perspective).

Right now I am an everything-computer-related person for an EMR VAR. I'm the Network/System Admin, Database Admin, Developer, Webmaster, etc. We're tiny.
The managers all seem like very rational, levelheaded people, which is always a plus. Also, they don't restrict any of my other programming, as long as I don't bring it with me to work (and of course, I don't start leaking out confidential information).

Ah, the joy of C# (that's what they're making me learn how to program in right now). So far it doesn't seem too bad, but I like C++ better for a lot of reasons.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

BlueCrab wrote:
toastman wrote:

The managers all seem like very rational, levelheaded people, which is always a plus. Also, they don't restrict any of my other programming, as long as I don't bring it with me to work (and of course, I don't start leaking out confidential information).

Ah, the joy of C# (that's what they're making me learn how to program in right now). So far it doesn't seem too bad, but I like C++ better for a lot of reasons.
Yeah, the guy I'm doing the work for runs a total Microsoft shop (they're a gold certified partner and all that mess) so my options were limited (read none). But he's a friend and a decent guy to boot (and technically, he's subcontracting the work to me since his people are too busy at the moment). But C# isn't that bad. It's close enough to C++ to where I'm comfortable.

BTW, I'm going to be in the Seattle area August 21st - 27th for the Penny Arcade Expo. So if you are still in the area (assuming you are an intern at the main campus in Redmond), we should meet up. Disregard that, I saw your profile and noticed that your location is on the east coast. Disregard the initial disregard and please reregard the initial comment (in blue). If you are going to be in the Seattle area August 21st - 27th when I'm in the Seattle area, we should totally say hi to each other.
Last edited by toastman on Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
No signature.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

toastman wrote:BTW, I'm going to be in the Seattle area August 21st - 27th for the Penny Arcade Expo. So if you are still in the area (assuming you are an intern at the main campus in Redmond), we should meet up. Disregard that, I saw your profile and noticed that your location is on the east coast.
BlueCrab is actually in Redmond; his location is outdated.
It's thinking...
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

toastman wrote:BTW, I'm going to be in the Seattle area August 21st - 27th for the Penny Arcade Expo. So if you are still in the area (assuming you are an intern at the main campus in Redmond), we should meet up. Disregard that, I saw your profile and noticed that your location is on the east coast. Disregard the initial disregard and please reregard the initial comment (in blue). If you are going to be in the Seattle area August 21st - 27th when I'm in the Seattle area, we should totally say hi to each other.
I am actually at the Redmond campus, as |darc| said, so we could definitely meet up. I'll be there until the 24th of August, so hopefully by the 21st most all of my real work will be done.

As a side note, I'm too lazy to update my location, since I'll just have to update it again on the 25th of August. My location on Facebook, however is correct. I guess I should update my address here too, since I did do it on facebook though... :wink:
Last edited by BlueCrab on Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.