The DCEmu History Book

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Post by |darc| »

BoneyCork wrote:
Prophet][ wrote:While I haven't been here as long as most, I must say the old times were much better than today. The old times made me visit this forum constantly to see what was happening. IRC had good times......
I kind of agree. It saddens me that all the threads in OT and Gaming these days are just "discuss this link" or "solve my problem". Theres never any new "Post your top/saddest/favourite/worst <whatever>" threads, or social threads, or forums games anymore.

But then when I go see forums that do have that sort of stuff, I feel like they are really immature and silly. Have we all grown out of all that stuff, or has the lack of young blood meant this forum now has no room for anything between serious discussion and null-worthy?

It's a shame really :cry:
I think we've all pretty much grown out of it. I've tried to post at other, more active forums, but I can't really get into those communities because I only post in the serious threads and then leave.

I think we would have a much better community here if more people got on IRC. But for some reason, a large amount of people never bother doing so.
It's thinking...
zman
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by zman »

Who has time for IRC.

I post and then leave and come back later. It's convenient.
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

|darc| wrote: I think we've all pretty much grown out of it. I've tried to post at other, more active forums, but I can't really get into those communities because I only post in the serious threads and then leave.

I think we would have a much better community here if more people got on IRC. But for some reason, a large amount of people never bother doing so.
Might also be the fact that every idles in IRC...? Not a very welcoming place when no ones around. Oh, and thanks for the props on the first page, lol, I must have taken off in 2002. I don't recall this thread.

To tell you the truth I don't remember much from back then. Looking through these posts I barely remember any of these people. I just remember coming here in 2000ish when Titanium Studios released Quake. A few months later I was given admin. Another few months after that, the war. I got klined and lost my admin because apparently I was seen impersonating an IRCop (when I've never even had a registered nick.....). Uhhh, the forums went to Php, I started posting again, and making shitty ass dvd covers. Came and left over the years. Thats about it.
Last edited by Code-Red on Wed May 16, 2007 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

IRC is more active than the boards are, hands down.

Except for when someone spams null.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Code-Red wrote:Might also be the fact that every idles in IRC...? Not a very welcoming place when no ones around.
There's almost always a few people at a time talking in the channel, except from like 1am-8am CST
It's thinking...
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

|darc| wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:
Prophet][ wrote:While I haven't been here as long as most, I must say the old times were much better than today. The old times made me visit this forum constantly to see what was happening. IRC had good times......
I kind of agree. It saddens me that all the threads in OT and Gaming these days are just "discuss this link" or "solve my problem". Theres never any new "Post your top/saddest/favourite/worst <whatever>" threads, or social threads, or forums games anymore.

But then when I go see forums that do have that sort of stuff, I feel like they are really immature and silly. Have we all grown out of all that stuff, or has the lack of young blood meant this forum now has no room for anything between serious discussion and null-worthy?

It's a shame really :cry:
I think we've all pretty much grown out of it. I've tried to post at other, more active forums, but I can't really get into those communities because I only post in the serious threads and then leave.

Every time I have ever been on IRC, no one talks. A lot of peeps in the room, but nothing going on.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

|darc| wrote:I think we would have a much better community here if more people got on IRC. But for some reason, a large amount of people never bother doing so.
I like to craft my sentences and tend to type longer explanations. But there is no time for that in IRC. I've tried it twice and simply cannot keep up with what is going on. Everything moves too fast to respond to, and if I type more than a sentence, the thing I was replying to probably has already moved on past that point. IRC requires a different way of conversing, and I just do not have the patience to keep up with it.
SadisticSaviorX
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by SadisticSaviorX »

All that needs to be put about me is: "sadisticsaviorx....he didnt talk much..." XD

I'm almost a semi-troll on this forum.. its the only one I visit. I just never wanted to leave after my dreamcast modding days. :kiss)

Even though I'm never in on the shenanigans... I just always liked it here.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

I think the problem you guys have is that you come into IRC once and then leave, and then base your idea of IRC on that once or twice you came in. Sometimes there's no one in there, sometimes it's just two or three people, and then sometimes it's full.

Download a good IRC client, set it to minimize to the system tray, and just leave it running all day. It's just an icon in your system tray that uses very few resources, and whenever you're bored, click it, and there's bound to be something going on; if you feel like commenting, do so. I leave IRC on 24/7, and I make comments as I come and go, I don't ever take a window of time and "get on IRC." I'm always in there.

Just stick around and get used to it.
It's thinking...
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

I come on IRC a few times a week too, so if that isn't a good reason to start visiting #dcemu I don't know what is.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

The ability to follow 3 or 4 conversations is about all you need in IRC since the conversation is being tracked on screen, and logged if you want. If you come by an hour later with a comment on something no one looks at you and goes "LOL NEWBCAKES ROFL". Often conversations can be carried overnight when the place dies.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

i cant imagine what the scene used to be like, back when it was popular instead of what we got today.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

mrandyk wrote:i cant imagine what the scene used to be like, back when it was popular instead of what we got today.
I recall the overall level of stupidity was higher and most things were far more disorganized.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

mrandyk wrote:i cant imagine what the scene used to be like, back when it was popular instead of what we got today.
- It would take another 20 pages of arguing before someone would decide the argument was pointless and going nowhere and lokc the thread.

- Flaming made sense.

- A new DreamSNES release seemed likely, and worth waiting for.

- Post-counts were a status symbol, and using Null to raise your post count was clever.

- Spam wars were worth fighting.

- People would come to IRC asking for help...and they would get it.

- Sega could have murdered all your family, and it still would have been less devastating than them ditching the Dreamcast

- NeonGenesis' sigs

Those were the days. :(
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

BoneyCork wrote:- NeonGenesis' sigs
The name sounds familiar, but I don't remember the sigs...
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

idk yet wrote:
He made sigs for lots of people, but then they were all too big when the sig rules came in.
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

BoneyCork wrote:
idk yet wrote:
He made sigs for lots of people, but then they were all too big when the sig rules came in.
I think the site he had them all on are still up, I know I looked a few months ago and found mine.

Edit: viewtopic.php?t=16297&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I still like that SoA sig he made me.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

BoneyCork wrote:
- It would take another 20 pages of arguing before someone would decide the argument was pointless and going nowhere and lokc the thread.

- Flaming made sense.

- Post-counts were a status symbol, and using Null to raise your post count was clever.

- Sega could have murdered all your family, and it still would have been less devastating than them ditching the Dreamcast

- NeonGenesis' sigs

You left out the "I made a (insert game system here) emulator but I am not sharing it because you dont believe me"
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

SuperMegatron wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:

- Flaming made sense.

- NeonGenesis' sigs

You left out the "I made a (insert game system here) emulator but I am not sharing it because you dont believe me"
viewtopic.php?p=961508#961508 :?:
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

The only thing you need to know about the past here is Mark Discordia