Euro PS3 Backwards Compatability List

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Nyarlathotep »

More PS3 PAL BC impressions.
Lartrak wrote: From what I've gathered at this point, PS3 has far better compatibility, but even discounting the upscaling, the best emulated 360 BC titles run better than the PS3 equivalents. Is that right?

I just keep hearing that ALL FMVs are pretty screwed on the PS3 at this point, and jaggies show up far more on the PS3 than on PS2 hardware.
I think you need to seperate from the '100% hardware' BC of USA and JPN and the '75% software' BC of PAL consoles.

I've heard reports of the BC level in USA and JPN region models having skipping / retaining slowdown etc - but that's unsurprising, its actual hardware with a different speed drive.

The emulation route has apparently removed these problems for certain titles (those rated with 3 stars on the BC list posted in first post) but overall quantity is down.

The difference is of course, I suspect it won't be hard for Sony to override using the hardware EE via 'bootcode' for titles that run better via software emulation to those early adopters who have that hardware.
Covar wrote: well when the 360's backwards compatibility was announced, they stated it would only play select titles. the actual compatability list came out with over 200 titles. i would say that it was indeed under promised and over delivered.

of course sony promised 100% bc, and even used that statement as an argument for why the ps3 is better than the xbox360.

so yea i would say the european ps3 bc is crap.
No, you are wrong on some things there.

When it was first announced (way before it was on the market) they said they would have the best selling titles run perfectly and would be aiming to provide the entire back catalogue.

Immediately before launch, they posted that page on Xbox Live I linked to earlier in this thread where they're promising to try and make the entire Xbox library BC. That is not under promising anything.

That was a lie - the majority of best selling titles were not BC at Day 1 of 360 launch.
Your '200 games' figures is after 4 seperate BC updates over a period of over a year.

Try reading through previous topics about just how shitty BC is / was - that and they've pretty much officially said that any BC updates we get now are the last there will ever be. And we're still waiting for one.

(Launch day PS3 was indeed nearly 100% BC, but I guess Sony saw the level of utter contempt Key members of Microsoft treat their customers with on this issue and figured they could pull the same stunt. The difference being that Sony have actually done a pretty good job on it)
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

I guess I will have to hold off judgement until I have my hands on a US PS3 (which is going to be a long time from now at this point) that does BC through emulation; of course by then, many problems may be fixed.

Out of the my xbox titles that do work on the 360, they work fine. Problem is I still have a number that don't. I suspect they never will, because my instincts tell me there will likely no more BC updates for the 360.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

Quality > Quantity.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Yes, you can keep saying that.

It just doesn't apply in this comparison, because one has both. And its not the 360.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Nyarlathotep wrote:Yes, you can keep saying that.

It just doesn't apply in this comparison, because one has both. And its not the 360.
The Wii has more than both.
It's thinking...
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

Nyarlathotep wrote:Yes, you can keep saying that.

Because in your book the ability to merely boot a game makes it good enough to be considered working. On my 360 I pop in a game it either works, or it doesn't. On that PS3 list it either works, works like crap, works and you wouldn't dare play it, works and then crashes, or doesn't work. In my book if it doesn't work as well or better than the original console it DOESN'T work and it isn't what one is paying for.

As |darc| pointed out, the Wii does do better BC than both consoles along with the trick to boot imports (for now).
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

APE wrote: Because in your book the ability to merely boot a game makes it good enough to be considered working.
No, not really.
APE wrote: On my 360 I pop in a game it either works, or it doesn't.
Or boots but crashes after 10 minutes due to memory leaks, has choppy audio etc etc etc
APE wrote: On that PS3 list it either works,
Like Halo 2 on 360.
APE wrote: works like crap,
Like KOTOR on 360
APE wrote:works and you wouldn't dare play it,
Like Barbie Horse Adventures on 360
APE wrote: works and then crashes,
Like Sid Meiers Pirates on 360
APE wrote:or doesn't work.
Like the majority of Xbox games on 360
APE wrote:In my book if it doesn't work as well or better than the original console it DOESN'T work and it isn't what one is paying for.
So you've finally stopped trying to say that 360 Bc is anything better than piss poor, and the worst of all 3 new consoles on the market?

Good.

If Sony had fucked this up, I'd have called them out on it, but they haven't.

They've done a much better job of it than Microsoft did and Sony are not known for thier software expertise, and they genuinely deserve credit for the way they've gone about it, not MS-pole smoking because '360 is da best hurrr hurrr hurrr'.
APE wrote: As |darc| pointed out, the Wii does do better BC than both consoles along with the trick to boot imports (for now).
Quality of Bc is:

1) Wii - fewer titles, all perfect.
2) PS3 - 2 generations of console BC, few titles don't run, few titles errors in emulation
3) Xbox 360 - MS don't give a fuck, buy new games, don't play old ones.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

3) Xbox 360 - MS don't give a fuck, buy new games, don't play old ones.
Wasn't that an official statement? :P
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

I believe it is one of Peter Moores tattoos.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Of course all these issues could easily ne avoided by just keeping your old consoles connected up to your TV too. It isn't really that hard.
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

BoneyCork wrote:Of course all these issues could easily ne avoided by just keeping your old consoles connected up to your TV too. It isn't really that hard.
but what about all the space my streamlined ps2 takes up :o

oh wait. it doesn't. and i can still play guitar hero, ddr, or any other game that requires a special controller.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Ah. The ecologicially conscious solution.
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

BoneyCork wrote:Of course all these issues could easily ne avoided by just keeping your old consoles connected up to your TV too. It isn't really that hard.
I don't normally say "me too", but...

There is a reason I still have the original Xbox. If I ever get a PS3, it will be for PS3 games that I want. Having my PS2 collection working is nice, but the PS2 will remain part of my setup.

I guess my biggest gripe: If Sony is taking BC out of the hardware to save costs, then pass on the savings to the consumer in some form. Seems like Euro customers are paying more for less. Is the US version going to stay at $600 with that hardware pulled?
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

abydos1000 wrote:
I don't normally say "me too", but...

There is a reason I still have the original Xbox. If I ever get a PS3, it will be for PS3 games that I want. Having my PS2 collection working is nice, but the PS2 will remain part of my setup.

I guess my biggest gripe: If Sony is taking BC out of the hardware to save costs, then pass on the savings to the consumer in some form. Seems like Euro customers are paying more for less. Is the US version going to stay at $600 with that hardware pulled?
It's Sony, so the answer is yes. Right now they are losing money on the thing, not sure how much off hand. If they can cut costs on it however they can they will at least try. Shafting the consumer isn't exactly a new concept, especially for sony.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

APE wrote:Shafting the consumer isn't exactly a new concept, especially for sony.
<Insert grumbling about SCPH-100x here>
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
APE wrote:works and you wouldn't dare play it,
Like Barbie Horse Adventures on 360
No not like Barbie Horse Adventures. More like FFX-2 where the game is good if you're a preteen girl but runs terribly according to the BC.

Good to know I can play Shrek 2 on the PS3 but not FFX.
Ex-Cyber wrote:
APE wrote:Shafting the consumer isn't exactly a new concept, especially for sony.
<Insert grumbling about SCPH-100x here>
My friends launch SCPH1001 worked fine right up until it's laser stopped working. Then I used it's controller ports for a pc mod and the laser worked again. Got a new set of ports and the laser died. Joy.

When it did work it only worked properly on it's side (surprise!), on FFVII the snowflakes in later levels were green blobs that flew by. Not sure if that was his playstation doing it or the disks.
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

As much affection as I don't have for the PS3, Backwards compatiblity is a luxury to me. Like the ability to play DVD's. I don't really care what else it does if it rocks as a games machine.

/me goes back to Yoshis Island DS. This game is awesome.
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

Nyarlathotep wrote:Ah. The ecologicially conscious solution.
what the hell does my ps2 have to do with ecology?
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Covar wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:Ah. The ecologicially conscious solution.
what the hell does my ps2 have to do with ecology?
Power consumption. PS3 is a hog (though, to be fair, so is 360).
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

The pair of them are still less than the standard "Just leave all your other consoles permanently pluggged in!" solution.