Wii shortages

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wii shortages

Post by Phantom »

I've been trying to get a Wii for a few weeks now, with no luck whatsoever. Today I tried a store I hadn't been to yet, and they told me they wouldn't get new Wii consoles until March... yes... MARCH. So how long will these shortages last? It looks like it'll be at least 3 more months.

Obviously, something has gone wrong at Nintendo. There seem to be enough games and controllers in stores. Ofcourse noone is buying them, because they can't get the console to use them with.

Did they underestimate the demand? Production issues? Anyone have any idea?
"Nothing works" - Catweazle
stagg
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by stagg »

I found mine pretty easily, but you're in the Netherlands so it may be different then in America.
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

I'm in Spain right now, actually, but here the situation is the same as in The Netherlands.

So are you saying that in the U.S.A. you can now just go into a store and pick up a Wii from the shelves?
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

Phantom wrote:I'm in Spain right now, actually, but here the situation is the same as in The Netherlands.

So are you saying that in the U.S.A. you can now just go into a store and pick up a Wii from the shelves?
nope.
stagg
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by stagg »

Phantom wrote:I'm in Spain right now, actually, but here the situation is the same as in The Netherlands.

No but within the area of 50miles there are certainly a few in stock, you just have to look for it. If they didn't meet the equilibrium then it's not a big deal, its in HUGE demand.
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

stagg wrote:If they didn't meet the equilibrium then it's not a big deal
Sure, for a short period of time following the release... but retailers over here are telling customers they have to wait not days, not weeks, but months... and in the meantime I see all those Zelda games sitting on store shelves...

Sorry for venting some frustration over this ;)
Last edited by Phantom on Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

I'm trying to find one aswell. Some major retailers like Wal mart and best buy get shipments on a weekly basis. Other smaller stores I've called are telling me they won't be getting any until January.
stagg
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by stagg »

All I know is that Toys R Us in the US gets a ton of shipments, so check there.
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

I ordered a Wii on december 6 I believe (a few days before the release date), but haven't heard anything yet. I also put in another order at a store here in Spain last week. They told me I was 40th in line on the order list (which doesn't seem too bad) and that they'd be getting new Wiis on the 26th. Well, they haven't called so they must have gotten less than 40... Who knows... they may only be getting 5 a week...

I've also been to Toys "R" Us yesterday, they didn't have any Wiis.
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

I managed to buy three. Not hard to find at all. If you're in the US, lurk on Amazon.com's Wii forums. The people there will post the minute something goes on sale online. It's usually a bundle, but there are good/reasonable bundles out there, so really, it's cool.

Nick
Very sexy hero, omg
Synlor
Official DCEMU Stalker
Official DCEMU Stalker

Post by Synlor »

I saw several at Gamestop the day before Christmas which really suprised me. Everywhere else seemed to be sold out, but they had quite a few. Then again the Gamestop here doesn't seem to be the most popular from what I can tell, but I think atleast here in the USA Wiis will start to be more readily available in the next few weeks since the Christmas rush is over.
Thanks to Digital Chaos, GoldbergWWE, and ace for the avatar, sig, and badge!
http://devcast.dcemulation.com
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

Synlor wrote:I saw several at Gamestop the day before Christmas which really suprised me. Everywhere else seemed to be sold out, but they had quite a few. Then again the Gamestop here doesn't seem to be the most popular from what I can tell, but I think atleast here in the USA Wiis will start to be more readily available in the next few weeks since the Christmas rush is over.
No, I don't think so. Gamestop is just displaying multiple empty Wii boxes for some reason, even though they don't have any in stock.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

curt_grymala wrote:No, I don't think so. Gamestop is just displaying multiple empty Wii boxes for some reason, even though they don't have any in stock.
That seems to be common practice over here as well.
Specially Cork

Re: Wii shortages

Post by Specially Cork »

Phantom wrote:I've been trying to get a Wii for a few weeks now, with no luck whatsoever. Today I tried a store I hadn't been to yet, and they told me they wouldn't get new Wii consoles until March... yes... MARCH. So how long will these shortages last? It looks like it'll be at least 3 more months.

Obviously, something has gone wrong at Nintendo. There seem to be enough games and controllers in stores. Ofcourse noone is buying them, because they can't get the console to use them with.

Did they underestimate the demand? Production issues? Anyone have any idea?
Here in the UK there is no stock available and no dates for future shipments.

I don't know why you're surprised about this. There hasn't been a single period in the last 2 decades where Nintendo have cared properly for the European market. The only reason Sega managed to beat the NES and SNES over here was because they were prepared to market their product properly while Nintendo weren't.
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Re: Wii shortages

Post by Phantom »

BoneyCork wrote:I don't know why you're surprised about this. There hasn't been a single period in the last 2 decades where Nintendo have cared properly for the European market.
I've never bought a Nintendo console at launch before, so I wouldn't know...

Anyway, I picked up a Wii today, finally. The store I went to last week called today and told me I could come get it. I can cancel my preorder at that other store now :?.

It seems that some stores are getting way more consoles than others, and that this distribution is not based on preorders.
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

i just got mine today too...

walked into work/bestbuy with my brother, saw 4 sitting in the cage. so my brother bought one. and once the people in line behind me saw her pull one out, the other 3 were gone before i was.

i'm pretty happy right now...still messing around w/ wii sports.
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I don't see how you guys can just walk into stores and get one. We still have lines every Sunday for hours before the store opens. Of course, this might change now that Christmas is over.
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

i had no intention on getting one today, or anything. luckily the store was in a mall with an atm machine right outside the door for me to go get the money. I didnt think we were even getting a shippment of wiis this week.

i was EXTREMELY nervous, that in the time it took me to walk to get the money they all would be gone.

oh, i also got there at 2pm and bought it!
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

Before christmas, and as of this post, my local sears has plenty.