Facebook to drop .edu requirement, with a catch

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Facebook to drop .edu requirement, with a catch

Post by APE »

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=2422125

Code: Select all

NEW YORK Sep 11, 2006 (AP)? Facebook, an online community now restricted mostly to high school and college students, will soon throw its doors wide open and welcome millions of Internet users currently left standing at the gates.

The move will allow existing users to invite their now-ineligible friends, but it also risks changing the tone of a community where trust and privacy are key. Just last week, users revolted when Facebook introduced a feature that allows easier tracking of changes their friends make to personal profile pages.

The change in eligibility will come soon, although Facebook officials were still deciding exactly when.

To join Facebook, a user now must prove membership in an existing network using an e-mail address from a college, a high school or selected companies and organizations. That has largely limited membership to students, along with some faculty and alumni.

As a result, Facebook has fewer than 10 million registered users, compared with some 109 million at News Corp.'s MySpace, which has an open-door policy. 
Still just a mere "high quality myspace". Sounds like theres about to be a second Gmail style ebay market for invites, maybe. Good news for us that aren't on their lists of available colleges I suppose.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

That sucks. Hard. This has the potential to change the "students only" bent of Facebook to create another craphole like MySpace. Hopefully that never happens, as I really enjoy Facebook for what it is.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Facebook is a disease on the internet, and anything that forces it into a quicker destruction is alright with me.
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

no don't take away my elitism by opening it to the public. i want to be exclusively better than everyone.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I have now completely lost faith in Facebook. I liked it specifically because it *WASN'T* another MySpace clone, and I treated it more as a sort of digital yearbook than a major social thing. (I don't really use MySpace; it's cluttery, it's spam-tastic, and on a completely separate note, I have a very hard time supporting anything owned by Rupert Murdoch). A couple of my best friends recently deleted their accounts, and now I may follow suit.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

When the people who used Myspace to it's full "potential" go to college, get Facebook, what do you think will happen? From what I've heard people have the exact same behavor patterns on Myspace and Facebook, only difference is the html limitatitions. The gather a million friends but only know 3 of them in person, create a "Jesus" account, go to parties and take pictures solely to put up on a website of your choice. I'm surprised anyone thought it would last. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

Deleting ones account in protest is akin to the rich kid throwing down his hat when mommy and daddy won't buy him another Ferrari. Cute at best. If Facebook opens their doors to millions more a handful that can't figure out how to contain the show aren't going to bother the admins. Myspace is a spam and hellhole, but only if you allow it to be.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

APE wrote:When the people who used Myspace to it's full "potential" go to college, get Facebook, what do you think will happen? From what I've heard people have the exact same behavor patterns on Myspace and Facebook, only difference is the html limitatitions. The gather a million friends but only know 3 of them in person, create a "Jesus" account, go to parties and take pictures solely to put up on a website of your choice. I'm surprised anyone thought it would last. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

Deleting ones account in protest is akin to the rich kid throwing down his hat when mommy and daddy won't buy him another Ferrari. Cute at best. If Facebook opens their doors to millions more a handful that can't figure out how to contain the show aren't going to bother the admins. Myspace is a spam and hellhole, but only if you allow it to be.
You underestimate the power of stupidity and the obsession for acceptance.
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
Nemesis
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Nemesis »

melancholy wrote:Facebook is a disease on the internet, and anything that forces it into a quicker destruction is alright with me.
Feel it, Don't think
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Facebook = A business
A business = Generating profit
More people = more profit generated
Facebook = Yay Lets do that
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

DaMadFiddler wrote:I have now completely lost faith in Facebook. I liked it specifically because it *WASN'T* another MySpace clone, and I treated it more as a sort of digital yearbook than a major social thing. (I don't really use MySpace; it's cluttery, it's spam-tastic.
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Nemesis wrote:
melancholy wrote:Facebook is a disease on the internet, and anything that forces it into a quicker destruction is alright with me.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

Mark from Facebook wrote:I want to clear up some rumors and ask for your feedback.

Right now a lot of people want their friends to use Facebook, but they can't get on. Soon, we're planning on letting these people register for regional networks.

I know a lot of you are worried about this and how it changes the site. Honestly, it shouldn't change much for you. College networks will remain exclusive to people from those colleges. High school and work networks will remain exclusive as well. Only your friends and other people in your networks can see your profile. This is what makes Facebook different, and we're not changing it.

From reading a lot of your messages, it seems like some of you want more separation. Do you want to be completely invisible to people who aren't in a college or high school? Do you want to make sure they can't message or poke you? We like hearing from you. Please send us your thoughts on how we can make this work for you.

And just to clear some other things up: we're not putting up more banner ads, we're not charging anyone, we're not letting people put random HTML in their profiles, and we're not selling your information. Facebook is about increasing information flow and connecting people, not these things.

Please send us your thoughts here.
This is on the homepage.

Just because of the simple virtue that they are willing to read people's comments and such makes me want to stay with them. Do you think NewsCorp would care if they changed some major feature of MySpace and everyone bitched? Where's the MySpace API?
As far as I'm considered, Facebook will never reach the horrible depths of MySpace.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

I've never used Facebook, but I love myspace. I think it's a great way to keep in touch with distant friends.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe