E3

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Specially Cork
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Post by Specially Cork »

So for $100 more you get 40GB more HDD space? Are Sony hard drives made of gold?

And lets just do some xe.com calculations...?341. Not bad considering whats inside, but there is still no way I'm paying that.

EDIT: Then again, those Final Fantasy XIII screenshots....

2nd EDIT: Also looks like the Square Enix conference went by without a single announcement for Xbox. Congrats Microsoft, you are now out of the Japanese market. Better luck next time.
Number Six
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Number Six »

Was Microsoft ever IN the Japanese market???
DARKGATE wrote:look me in the my balls eyes :o
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Number Six wrote:Was Microsoft ever IN the Japanese market???
They release FFXI, which was their sorry attempt at "look, we have square support and final fantasy!". The problem was, they did that in December 2005, and FFXI was released in Japan on PS2 back in 2002.
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

BoneyCork wrote:So for $100 more you get 40GB more HDD space? Are Sony hard drives made of gold?

And lets just do some xe.com calculations...?341. Not bad considering whats inside, but there is still no way I'm paying that.

EDIT: Then again, those Final Fantasy XIII screenshots....

2nd EDIT: Also looks like the Square Enix conference went by without a single announcement for Xbox. Congrats Microsoft, you are now out of the Japanese market. Better luck next time.
well its that price for that bluray player i guess

but i dont care abou that. i just see it as a gameconsole and 600 for a game system ummm no thank you

i still think the 360 is over priced

the wii is rumore to be $249
much more attractive priced and u could connect any usb hd to it

and microsoft were never in the japan market the 360 is selling less than the original did for its launch perioid so that tells you something

and with nintendo not getting 1 but 2 square titles at launch poor xbox they hardly knew ya
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

So basically Sony just took the same controller they have had for the past 10 years, and just added a motion sensor and a guide button? Is there anything they didn't steal from watching their competition?
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

atleast they didnt fully take advantage of nintendos idea they just using a tilt function
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

Interesting tidbit:
Sony have further limited the 20GB PS3 by cutting out:
  • Cardreader sockets
    WiFi
    The HDMI port
http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release ... 0509ae.pdf (last page)

Frankly I'm not bothered but don't buy the cheaper system with the intention of using a 1080p TV. Not that you would, given the cost of those displays :P
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

melancholy wrote:So basically Sony just took the same controller they have had for the past 10 years, and just added a motion sensor and a guide button? Is there anything they didn't steal from watching their competition?
Putting a tilt-function in a controller has been done for years on various levels, it is hardly stealing from the competition.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

WTF, they cut out the Wifi on the cheaper model? Will they sell an external adapter just in case you want it later? Because if not, that would be really crappy of them.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

Personally, I have faith in Nintendo that they will get their shiat together and right the worngs that they have made in the past with both retailers, third party developers and more importantly, gamers. Imo, Nintendo NEEDS NEW FUDGING FRANCHISES, AND NEEDS TO STOP MILKING THE ONES THAT THEY HAVE TO DEATH, seriously.

I'm interested in what else Nintendo plans to announce about the wii at e3.
ASCIIN
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by ASCIIN »

404NotFound wrote:Pics anyone? This sounds hilarious.

It's also funny how Nintendo said they were holding off announement of the controller because everybody will copy it. And they did.
yeah too bad the same technology has existed since the 90s so eh

whats the big deal about the controller? its not like the 360's controller is completely different from the original xbox, as the saying goes "If it ain't broke, dont fix it"
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

BoneyCork wrote:
melancholy wrote:So basically Sony just took the same controller they have had for the past 10 years, and just added a motion sensor and a guide button? Is there anything they didn't steal from watching their competition?
Putting a tilt-function in a controller has been done for years on various levels, it is hardly stealing from the competition.
I'm aware of that. Hell, I had a tilt controller for my PS1. But you cannot tell me that it isn't at least a little suspicious that Sony showed an entirely different controller at last year's E3, and then release a public statement saying that they are changing that controller shortly after Nintendo showing off their 'revmote'. And here we are at this E3, and they show off the exact same controller as they have always used, only with a tilt sensor in it. I would bet $10,000 that if Nintendo would not have released a tilt controller, the PS3 controller would not have tilt functions.
liltimmyw
Mother Trucker
Mother Trucker

Post by liltimmyw »

Looks like I'm not getting a PS3.

Hell, out of the tons of games they showed at that press confrence, only two of them looked interesting(FFXIII and MGS4).

I'm not even going to say anything about that controller.

Wii ftw

Edit:
Here's a better picture of the same controller you already have minus the cord.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

I don't know why Sony is even bothering with the tilt sensor this late in development. It really just makes them look lame. Apart from maybe a Katamari sequel, I doubt any major games will use it as anything other than a gimmick (I'm already dreading the inevitable FFXIII minigame), just because it was tacked on at the end instead of being emphasized as a key element of the platform.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

BoneyCork wrote:Putting a tilt-function in a controller has been done for years on various levels, it is hardly stealing from the competition.
Well, it does seem to be a reaction to Nintendo's controller, but a really lousy one. The Wii controller can detect position, orientation, and velocity on one hand, and acceleration on both hands. The PS3 controller can detect orientation, and apparently not very well.
whats the big deal about the controller? its not like the 360's controller is completely different from the original xbox, as the saying goes "If it ain't broke, dont fix it"
The big deal is that Sony have been making all kinds of noise about it, and then they present a wireless PS2 controller with an extra button. At least the Xbox 360 controller is far better than either of the originals.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

milfzor wrote:then again, i also guessed the gamecube would do better than it did last time around....
What, being the most profitable console on the market is a bad thing? Being the only profitable videogame console maker is bad? Both Sony and Microsoft's game console departments sink more money into R&D then they could ever recoup on sales.

Sony wins in gross sales and sheer volume of crap games. Who cares about this? Definitely not their finance department, that's for sure.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

OK, I've had a better look at what Sony have announced. First impressions...

That's it? Aside from the half-assed tilt sensors (at the cost of the rumble support), they haven't really announced anything that wasn't already obvious. Everything they've done indicates that the PS3 is nothing more than a continuation of the PS2, which I was bored with years ago. So they're continuing with EyeToy games (which are fun only as long as you have lots of room, some friends, and preferably some alcoholic beverages), SingStar (as above), and they're rolling out an online service almost exactly the same as Xbox Live (which is pretty much expected these days). I never would have been able to guess any of that.

Most of their games appear to be using cheesy repeat-the-last-five-frames motion blur. Yuck. I hated this when it was used in PS1 games, I hated it when it was used in PS2 games, and I hate it now. The RSX should be able to do motion blur quite easily, at least on stuff like that Gran Turismo demo they showed off.

Graphically, this thing appears indistinguishable from the Xbox 360. In terms of online support, it seems indistinguishable from the Xbox 360. In terms of the number of developers, and types of games being developed, it seems indistinguishable from the Xbox 360. So why the hell would I want to buy one of these instead of an Xbox 360, given the rather large difference in price. If the expected Xbox 360 price drop happens before the PS3 launches, I could probably go out and buy an Xbox 360 and a Wii instead, and still have change to spare.

Oh, right... Blu-ray. Maybe in three or four years, but right now it's just pointless. It would have been like the PS1 shipping with a DVD player.

And I'm reminded of this ancient, yet apparently prophetic, article.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

BlackAura wrote:In terms of the number of developers, and types of games being developed, it seems indistinguishable from the Xbox 360.
Unless you are an RPG fan, that is. And in two years, I'll bet the gap between the developed games will be huge in Sony's favor. Of course, in two years the system will be a few hundred dollars cheaper too.
ASCIIN
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by ASCIIN »

butters wrote:
milfzor wrote:then again, i also guessed the gamecube would do better than it did last time around....
What, being the most profitable console on the market is a bad thing? Being the only profitable videogame console maker is bad? Both Sony and Microsoft's game console departments sink more money into R&D then they could ever recoup on sales.

Sony wins in gross sales and sheer volume of crap games. Who cares about this? Definitely not their finance department, that's for sure.
lol its common knowledge that the ps2 had the best library of game between the 3 dont be such a fanboy :roll:

from what i heard they actually started to make a profit on ps2 sales last year