Anything else I need for my computer?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Gmc »

Dark Savant0 wrote:DVD/CD-RW drive. I wouldnt take a dive into the dvd-r drives just yet seeing as how the hd and blueray wars are just beginning.
Not really worth waiting. You can get a decent DVD-/+RW drive for pretty cheap now. We're speakin ?30 over here in england :)
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

Dark Savant0 wrote:I dont see a sound card.....

Wireless network card.
No. Stick with a wired LAN for now. Everyone I've known that has wireless set up has some kind of problem somewhere. It's just not worth the chance of dropping a connection at a critical point.
A top quality digital camera.
Eh. Not necessary for a computer, but some really good cameras can be had for relatively cheap if you ever decide to get one. I recently purchased a Casio Exilim Z50 from Newegg (they don't carry them anymore) for $240 and it is excellent. 5.0MP, nice clear shots, easy menus, etc. It's also tiny, I can palm this thing easily.
Printer/Scanner/Copier/Fax thingamabob.
Depends on what the computer is for and whether there is one in the house already or not. If there is, just share it and print to it. If not, and the computer is for school, you may want to invest in a printer. The trick is only get what you need.
Make sure the mouse and keyboard are wireless.
If you are going to get a wireless mouse, get either the Logitech MX1000 or MX700 or don't bother. As for a wireless keyboard, unless you like leeching batteries and/or plan on using the PC as a media center, don't bother with that either. I've never needed to take my keyboard that far away. (and if you do go media center-esque, just get a remote and IR sensor)
Wireless speaker system.
Do those work as well as advertised?
Plus, with all the wireless components you are suggesting, you'll probably wind up with a lot of cross-talk. Not to mention your house sending off signals like an air traffic controller.
No signature.
Pyrosurfer
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Pyrosurfer »

2GB of ram seems overkill, I really don't think it will offer any improvement over 1GB. I think you should order 1GB of ram and use the extra money on a faster Athlon 64 processor. You will probably see better performance all around.
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

Pyrosurfer wrote:2GB of ram seems overkill, I really don't think it will offer any improvement over 1GB. I think you should order 1GB of ram and use the extra money on a faster Athlon 64 processor. You will probably see better performance all around.
In my personal experience, it seems like my system is always hampered by system ram. Although I don't think I'll see much of a performance hike, down the road, if I plan to do video editing or something, the extra HP will be helpful. Also, I might OC the CPU a little bit, as I hear this particular type is pretty simple to overclock. Also, for a 3200+ it's $50 extra for an extra 200-400 mhz. :(
Very sexy hero, omg
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Tall Israeli wrote:DVD burner?
He said he already has one.
Dark Savant0 wrote:DVD/CD-RW drive. I wouldnt take a dive into the dvd-r drives just yet seeing as how the hd and blueray wars are just beginning.
You can get a DVD burner that does + and - and does dual layer. 16X. For about $40. How is it not worth it at all?
It's thinking...
Pyrosurfer
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Pyrosurfer »

Doing anything strenuous with 1GB of ram (video editing, capturing) the main bottleneck is the cpu (except for games-graphics card). When under a heavy load it is very rare that you will see the ram usage go over 512MB. This is from my own experience (64 3200 1GB ram) and of others that I have read. Of course it's your decision, further down the run apps may become more ram heavy.

Since you mentioned you might be doing some video editing, get a DVD burner. Even if you don't, they are extremely useful for backup.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Pyrosurfer wrote:Doing anything strenuous with 1GB of ram (video editing, capturing) the main bottleneck is the cpu (except for games-graphics card). When under a heavy load it is very rare that you will see the ram usage go over 512MB. This is from my own experience (64 3200 1GB ram) and of others that I have read. Of course it's your decision, further down the run apps may become more ram heavy.

Since you mentioned you might be doing some video editing, get a DVD burner. Even if you don't, they are extremely useful for backup.
Naked Nick wrote:I already have a CD/DVD burner
It's thinking...
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

Xylene wrote:
Dark Savant0 wrote:I dont see a sound card.....

Wireless network card.

A top quality digital camera.

Printer/Scanner/Copier/Fax thingamabob.

Make sure the mouse and keyboard are wireless.

Wireless speaker system.
You don't need a soundcard. Onboard sound is pretty damn good these days. You don't need a "top quality digital camera" nor a printer/scanner/copier/fax machine. Wireless mouse and keyboard? ROFL. If he's getting all this stuff I am assuming he is going to play games on it and wireless and games don't mix.
I run wireless, and unless I have a brain fart and forget to recharge my mouse everything is fine for gaming.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

A zip drive. For when you go to FedExKinko's and figure out they dont have a cd burner.

I set up a syste something like what I suggested for a friend a couple months back. All you have to worry about is the frequency/channel that everything is on.

It is not worth it because there will come a time when DVD's will cease to be usefull (ie, when the next gen comes around, which may be pretty soon). Unless he is doing serious backup, Which I also dont recommend on a dvd because it may scratch yada yada yada. But he has one, so I wont argue.

STOP STRIKING MY IDEAS DOWN!
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I have a wireless keyboard, which works wonderful for everything I use except gaming. For some reason, gaming kills my wireless keyboard. I ended up buying one of those laptop keypads to use for my games. My wireless mouse, however, works great for everything.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Dark Savant0 wrote:A zip drive. For when you go to FedExKinko's and figure out they dont have a cd burner.
USELESS.
Dark Savant0 wrote:It is not worth it because there will come a time when DVD's will cease to be usefull (ie, when the next gen comes around, which may be pretty soon). Unless he is doing serious backup, Which I also dont recommend on a dvd because it may scratch yada yada yada. But he has one, so I wont argue.
Wait, you're worried about DVDs become obsolete yet you insist he should put in a floppy drive?
Dark Savant0 wrote:STOP STRIKING MY IDEAS DOWN!
Stop posting douchebaggery.
It's thinking...
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero »

|darc| wrote:douchebaggery.
:lol:
i'm submitting this to the OED
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

3000+ Venice's hit 2.8ghz with good cooling most of the time. You should hit 2.4 with ease.
FETUS
Knight of Null
Knight of Null

Post by FETUS »

Kick ass fighting games with action missiles.
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

Pyrosurfer wrote:Doing anything strenuous with 1GB of ram (video editing, capturing) the main bottleneck is the cpu (except for games-graphics card). When under a heavy load it is very rare that you will see the ram usage go over 512MB. This is from my own experience (64 3200 1GB ram) and of others that I have read. Of course it's your decision, further down the run apps may become more ram heavy.

Yup, down the line is what I'm looking at. Like 2 years ago, the recommended req. for ram on a game was like 128. Now it's 512. Games are just becoming RAM whores, because RAM is cheap and easy to upgrade.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, appreciate it. Will order sometime within next two weeks (hopefully), so I'll let you know how it goes.
Very sexy hero, omg
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

3000+ Venice's hit 2.8ghz with good cooling most of the time.
:o

I knew they overclocked well (that's part of the reason I bought one - if it runs well while overclocked, it's more likely to be stable and cool at stock speeds, unlike my last one), but I didn't realise they were that overclockable.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

BlackAura wrote:
3000+ Venice's hit 2.8ghz with good cooling most of the time.
:o

I knew they overclocked well (that's part of the reason I bought one - if it runs well while overclocked, it's more likely to be stable and cool at stock speeds, unlike my last one), but I didn't realise they were that overclockable.
They're pretty nice, same as the Whinchester 3000+. They're both overclocking champs. There are some bad weeks though that won't overclock very well becuase they aren't marked down higher end chips.

I got a good week with my 2500+ (1.8ghz), I have it running at 2.4ghz and it hasn't hit the wall yet, just my cooler is holding me back.
ETR
Dumb

Post by ETR »

Maybe I'm stuck in the dark ages, but I agree with Dark Savant (GASP) on the FDD. There are still enough recovery utilities on Floppies that I have made sure to in all of my machines. Even my laptop has a swappable floppy.

Hmm, I haven't tried MenuetOS on it yet.....
Smiley wrote:I was bored and like to hear myself talk, that's all....
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

ETR wrote:Maybe I'm stuck in the dark ages, but I agree with Dark Savant (GASP) on the FDD. There are still enough recovery utilities on Floppies that I have made sure to in all of my machines. Even my laptop has a swappable floppy.

Hmm, I haven't tried MenuetOS on it yet.....

ultimatebootcd

Learn.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Recovery utilities aren't really an issue. I can only think of three reasons you might want a floppy drive.

1 - You have some moron that wants you to give them something on a floppy disk. This happened to me a lot recently - at Uni, they have this annoying tendency to ask us to hand in assignments on a floppy disk, despite the fact that they have a perfectly usable online assignment submission system. I've had to hand in several programming assignments with source code and a binary on a floppy disk, accompanied by a printout of said source code (!) taking up tens of pages, with a one page covering note saying how much of the assignment I completed, and if there were any known problems with it. Waste of paper, waste of time, waste of effort. And I feel a lot more confident in the online assignment submission system than I do with a floppy disk - at least if the server dies and the assignment is lost, they'll realise it, and I won't be penalised for it.

2 - BIOS updates. A couple of systems let you flash the BIOS using a tool in Windows. Most don't. You still need to use a DOS boot floppy. You can burn a floppy image to a CD, but it's bloody hard to make a disk image in Windows without a floppy drive. Even disregarding that, you can't back up the existing BIOS if you're using a boot CD.

3 - You have some specific reason for needing a floppy drive. An old PC that you might need to copy stuff onto using floppies, for example. Or something stored on a floppy that you want to copy onto something more modern.

I wouldn't bother with one unless you know you're going to need it. If you find you do need one later, you can probably grab a USB one and plug that in (assuming your BIOS will boot from it - I have an nForce 3 board and it supports booting from USB just fine).