Very first hardware mod!

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Very first hardware mod!

Post by GyroVorbis »

Yeah, it's nothing really, but I did have to walk the 5 miles to RadioShack to buy the LED and soldering iron to do it. (I'm only 15 and can't drive until next year)

So have a look:
stagg
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by stagg »

Nice job GyroVorbis. I was planning on doing teh Same mod this week. But im still deciding if i wonna paint mine or not. Anyways, how much was the LCD?
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

They had all colors for like $2, but for some really wierd reason the blue was $4. They were all surprisingly overpriced, actually.

I'd like to paint my DC, I'm just not sure if I have the skill to not screw it up.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

yeah, for some weird reason blue leds are more rare and more pricey then other colors, must have something to do with the kind of silicon that goes into a blue led

looks nice though

and as for not being old enough to drive, bikes are your friend :wink: (heck, i even skate short distances if i dont feel like walking, skating is quite fast, if i was in better shape i could keep up with myself on a bike for a longer time)
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
stagg
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by stagg »

yea i'v noticed that the blue ones are more expensive..strange.
FETUS
Knight of Null
Knight of Null

Post by FETUS »

Do I have to talk to you about the dangers of hp's?
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

Yeah, I think I have the same HP computer (I don't use it though). If that's a Pavillion desktop, well... Lets just say I didn't have a very good expirience with mine. Anyways, nice work with the LED. If you have pay pal I suggest http://www.lsdiodes.com for LED's, the shipping is cheap (like $2) and they have Blue LED's for like 45 cents.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Caboose wrote:Yeah, I think I have the same HP computer (I don't use it though). If that's a Pavillion desktop, well... Lets just say I didn't have a very good expirience with mine. Anyways, nice work with the LED. If you have pay pal I suggest http://www.lsdiodes.com for LED's, the shipping is cheap (like $2) and they have Blue LED's for like 45 cents.
HP uses the same case for tons of different hardware configs.
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

That's true. Ignore what I wrote.
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

The blue ones are more difficult to produce, thus they are more expensive.
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

if your thinking about painting, take into consideration that you need to be PAITIENT!

it's gonna take a little bit. that's why i failed so many times at painting stuff...i have the worst attention span and i want something done quick, so instead of putting 15 light coats on i put 2 heavy coats on and it ends up looking like crap...

but nice job with the led change. ive only done one in my n64 and that's because i have 4 spare and i wanted to try it on something first. it was quick and painless but i probably wont do another. (other then making my xbox half green/half red when on)
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
soogazzi
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by soogazzi »

I just did the same mod yesterday. I just painted my dreamcast black/blue and painted my son's dreamcast black/red. I changed my led to blue and it looks great but for some reason the red ones I ordered for my son kept popping. They have two different numbers for red at that lsdiodes place and it looks like I picked the wrong red, so I'm waiting for the others now. If I can remember to bring home a digital camera from work and can figure out how to post pictures, I'll show them off. I must say there is something about that blue light, I found it quite easy to get lost staring at it's beauty... :o
Raijin Z
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Raijin Z »

Also nice. Too bad Euro DC shells cost more than US DC systems... The blue swirl would complement the light better.

If I bother doing this, I'm painting mine black with a green LED. Black Krylon Fusion under, regular flat black on top. Unless the glossy fusion looks badical all by itself. Saturn II or XBox Junior?
riva16
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by riva16 »

If I'm correct, that LED isn't very bright is it? Buy on eBay... Or lsdiodes... 40 blue LEDs for $20 shipped... even got some freebies...
Why doesn't HTML work anymore on this damn forum!? God!
dallanwagz
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by dallanwagz »

yah good job, i changed the led all by myself and i just turned 13 yesterday
-Dallan
Thats me pretty much, LOL JK