The Gay Marriage Debate v5.0 build 2502 rev. a

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by impetus »

heh - I stay out of these arguments, because they go nowhere. However...
OneThirty8 wrote:If it were a choice, do you honestly think that anybody would choose to be gay in a country full of intolerant redneck hillbillies?
If it were a choice, do you honestly think that anybody would choose to be a punk in a country full of intolerant Top 40 Listeners? :P Perceived deviation is not a very compelling reason for people to follow the norm.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

impetus wrote:heh - I stay out of these arguments, because they go nowhere. However...
OneThirty8 wrote:If it were a choice, do you honestly think that anybody would choose to be gay in a country full of intolerant redneck hillbillies?
If it were a choice, do you honestly think that anybody would choose to be a punk in a country full of intolerant Top 40 Listeners? :P Perceived deviation is not a very compelling reason for people to follow the norm.
I wasn't talking about perceived deviation. I was essentially asking why anyone would choose to be gay in a country were gay people aren't just laughed at, but they're often beaten or murdered for simply being who they are. Nobody has ever beaten or attempted to kill me for listening to punk, and such a think is not likely to ever happen.
farrell2k wrote:
OneThirty8 wrote:
farrell2k wrote:You really thik the will of the majority has no say when it comes to the decision of 2 people getting married? Seriously?! Marriage is handled by the states. The states decide who can marry based on laws governing the act. The laws are written and voted upon by state representatives, who are elected by and represent the majority of people in any given state. - The will of the majority matters, even if it is unfair, and that's exactly why gays cannot marry. Accept it or not, but that is reality. It's the last thing I'll say about it.
You miss my point entirely. I know how it currently works. It's just that I see a major flaw in it - the current laws that we have in place do nothing but discriminate. They do nobody any good, and are in fact harmful. It does not make sense to have such a thing 'governed' at all. If two people love each other and want to get married, that's all that should matter. They should be able to go and fill out the paperwork regardless of the gender of either party involved. The will of the majority is fine when it comes to regulating things that have a bearing on the general public, but not somebody's personal life. It's not that I think the majority has no say - they obviously do have their way under the current system. It's that they shouldn't have a say.
A lot of things shouldn't be, but whether you accept it or not, the will of the majority matters. Contrary to your *opinion*, most people feel that gay marriage is harmful to society, and believe that a ban on gay marriage is helpful to society.

If you do not agree, do someting constructive. Write your state representatives for change... or sit around on internet message boards campaining for gay marriage all day. :wink:
I wrote to my representatives in Washington and in Albany months ago. Can you please explain to me how allowing gay people to get married could in any way impact the rest of us negatively? I can't think of any case where we'd be worse off. Also, I still stand by my statement that the will of the majority is irrelevant in personal matters such as who marries who. That shouldn't be left up to the states. It should be left up to the individuals concerned.
FETUS wrote:Allowing gay marriage will be a major change in the system, there are two sides one believes there should be gay marriage and one that believes there shouldn't. Both sides have valid points and should be represented equaly, if gay marriage is put to a vote I think it would pass, but I wanna make sure both sides are represented properly instead of just a blind following.
FETUS, please tell me one thing in your life that would be made different if we were to allow gay people to get married. I laid out a perfectly valid method for ensuring that all concerned parties are represented. Please explain how following the plan I laid out would be 'blindly following,' or not representing all parties concerned in the matter.
FETUS
Knight of Null
Knight of Null

Post by FETUS »

There are parties that believe gay marriage would cheapen the value of marriage, not there own but just marriage in general and allowing it would effect them. and blindly following is not allowing people to form an opinion besides the pre-determined opinion. How many times have I been called a bigot for my opinion and beliefs on homosexuality? Being called a bigot implies a lot worse then I am. I don't look down on anybody for being gay I don't attempt to hurt them for being gay and I don't insult them for being gay. However I do think less of a gay couple because just like me with voices it's a false love and nothing more.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Ex-Cyber wrote:
They are sick, it's abnormal behavior.
Using a commercially dead console to play games for other commercially dead consoles is certainly quite abnormal, so I don't think most of us are in a position to speak ill of "abnormal behavior".
:guffaw:

FETUS: you never really answered this properly ;)
FETUS, please tell me one thing in your life that would be made different if we were to allow gay people to get married
You referred to that "cheapening of marriage" thing *again* yet nothing specific to how it affects you! And considerring divorce rates these days, marriage doesn't mean a hell of a lot to many people. But I still fail to see how it cheapens it, or even how it affects you personally! :?
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

They are sick, it's abnormal behavior.
Say it is sick, or that it is abnormal. It is a completely benign, so what difference does it make? Why do you care about it at all?
However I do think less of a gay couple because just like me with voices it's a false love and nothing more
Why is it false love? Even if it is the result of a mental illness, why would that make said love any less genuine than that of "normal" people?
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
farrell2k
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by farrell2k »

OneThirty8 wrote:
farrell2k wrote:
OneThirty8 wrote:
farrell2k wrote:You really thik the will of the majority has no say when it comes to the decision of 2 people getting married? Seriously?! Marriage is handled by the states. The states decide who can marry based on laws governing the act. The laws are written and voted upon by state representatives, who are elected by and represent the majority of people in any given state. - The will of the majority matters, even if it is unfair, and that's exactly why gays cannot marry. Accept it or not, but that is reality. It's the last thing I'll say about it.
You miss my point entirely. I know how it currently works. It's just that I see a major flaw in it - the current laws that we have in place do nothing but discriminate. They do nobody any good, and are in fact harmful. It does not make sense to have such a thing 'governed' at all. If two people love each other and want to get married, that's all that should matter. They should be able to go and fill out the paperwork regardless of the gender of either party involved. The will of the majority is fine when it comes to regulating things that have a bearing on the general public, but not somebody's personal life. It's not that I think the majority has no say - they obviously do have their way under the current system. It's that they shouldn't have a say.
A lot of things shouldn't be, but whether you accept it or not, the will of the majority matters. Contrary to your *opinion*, most people feel that gay marriage is harmful to society, and believe that a ban on gay marriage is helpful to society.

If you do not agree, do someting constructive. Write your state representatives for change... or sit around on internet message boards campaining for gay marriage all day. :wink:
I wrote to my representatives in Washington and in Albany months ago. Can you please explain to me how allowing gay people to get married could in any way impact the rest of us negatively? I can't think of any case where we'd be worse off.
Nope, I can't, and proving something something negative was never my intention in the first place.
FETUS
Knight of Null
Knight of Null

Post by FETUS »

FETUS, please tell me one thing in your life that would be made different if we were to allow gay people to get married
it doesn't effect me personaly but it does others and those are the ones I worry about. I personaly don't give a shit about gay marriage let em fuck up there own lives, but I do give a shit for the other side and they should be heard.
Why is it false love? Even if it is the result of a mental illness, why would that make said love any less genuine than that of "normal" people?
you just answered your own question.
ragnarok2040
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by ragnarok2040 »

I worry more about gay marriage than I do regular straight marriage. Gay marriage wouldn't cheapen marriage for normal people. The main problem is the belief that two gay people can't love each other, and that by two gay people getting married, it makes their marriage a farce. Divorce, however, does cheapen marriage. I just don't see a way around this conundrum, as you can't force two people who aren't in love to stay together. There's no perfect way to tell when two people love each other, so we can't have some type of check. I believe that something clicks within a person saying, "I can't be without this person," whether they're gay or straight and that denying them the right to marry would just be wrong because people are biased against it.
MystiK
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by MystiK »

sometimes i think there should be a automatic lock when the topic strays like this..
French Connection United Kingdom should be renamed to French Union Connection Klothing
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

FETUS wrote:There are parties that believe gay marriage would cheapen the value of marriage, not there own but just marriage in general and allowing it would effect them.
It doesn't affect them. What affects them is their preocupation with trying to regulate the lives of complete strangers.
FETUS wrote: and blindly following is not allowing people to form an opinion besides the pre-determined opinion.
And not accepting gays as our equals is not blindly following a predetermined opinion? It seems that it's folks like the President that want us to blindly follow him down the road to a world where it's alright to write discrimination into the Constitution. Those who are opposed to gay marriage are the blind followers. Those of us who say 'live and let live' aren't following anything. We're just saying, 'hey, do what's right for you. It's none of my business.'
FETUS wrote:How many times have I been called a bigot for my opinion and beliefs on homosexuality?
Perhaps if you weren't a bigot, people wouldn't call you one.
FETUS wrote:Being called a bigot implies a lot worse then I am. I don't look down on anybody for being gay I don't attempt to hurt them for being gay and I don't insult them for being gay.
You might not think that you do anything to hurt gay people, but hearing somebody say that their love isn't real must feel like a kick to the gut. Calling you a bigot isn't implying anything other than the truth.
FETUS wrote:However I do think less of a gay couple because just like me with voices it's a false love and nothing more.
How do you know that their love isn't real? Did one of the voices in your head tell you that? That was a cheap shot, I know, but you left yourself wide open and it isn't like you don't deserve it.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

OneThirty8 wrote:
FETUS wrote:How many times have I been called a bigot for my opinion and beliefs on homosexuality?
Perhaps if you weren't a bigot, people wouldn't call you one.
FETUS wrote:Being called a bigot implies a lot worse then I am. I don't look down on anybody for being gay I don't attempt to hurt them for being gay and I don't insult them for being gay.
You might not think that you do anything to hurt gay people, but hearing somebody say that their love isn't real must feel like a kick to the gut. Calling you a bigot isn't implying anything other than the truth.
FETUS wrote:However I do think less of a gay couple because just like me with voices it's a false love and nothing more.
How do you know that their love isn't real? Did one of the voices in your head tell you that? That was a cheap shot, I know, but you left yourself wide open and it isn't like you don't deserve it.

OWNED.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
FETUS
Knight of Null
Knight of Null

Post by FETUS »

Because it's braught on by a mental condition.
Truth hurts. For both sides I guess.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

FETUS wrote:
Because it's braught on by a mental condition.
We've covered this ground before, and I'm sick of beating you with the same point over and over again. It's clear to me that you just won't understand it that way, so let's take a look at your logic for a second and approach this from another angle. You claim that their love is brought on by a mental condition. It's not a mental disorder, but we'll just use your logic for the time being. How can you be certain that any love you may claim to feel isn't a manifestation of your mental disorder? You've said yourself that you have a mental illness.
FETUS wrote:
Truth hurts. For both sides I guess.
Yeah, except you're not speaking from an understanding of the truth. You're speaking from prejudice.
MystiK
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by MystiK »

gay people should chill the fuck out with civil unions. asking for ''the right to be married'' is just ridiculous.
French Connection United Kingdom should be renamed to French Union Connection Klothing
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

MystiK wrote:gay people should chill the fudge out with civil unions. asking for ''the right to be married'' is just ridiculous.
They are simply asking for the right to be treated as equals. By striking the word 'marriage' from any legal union between a couple, we can afford all people eqality in the eyes of the law regardless of gender or sexual orientation while getting the homophobes in certain 'religious' groups to shut the hell up about the 'sanctity of marriage.'
FETUS
Knight of Null
Knight of Null

Post by FETUS »

Yeah, except you're not speaking from an understanding of the truth. You're speaking from prejudice.
Speaking from prejudice would be saying "God damn queers always wearing shiny shoes".
certain 'religious' groups
Why are you so intolerant of religion?
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

FETUS wrote:
Speaking from prejudice would be saying "God damn queers always wearing shiny shoes".
You really need to invest in a dictionary. While the above statement does indeed indicate prejudice, so does just about everything else you have to say about homosexuals or homosexuality.
FETUS wrote:
certain 'religious' groups
Why are you so intolerant of religion?
If you notice, I put 'religious' in quotation marks to imply that people aren't what they pretend to be. I myself am not a religious person, but in general my attitude on religion is simply to let people do what's right for them. I'm not intolerant of religion, but I don't tolerate the kind of hypocrisy that is typical of the Bush Administration and others. In the Bible, Jesus told people to love one another. There are many who get the idea that hatred and intolerance are somehow justified by what they read in that very same book.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

The word "homophobe" is one of the stupidest paradoxes (or liberal propagandas, depending on who you ask) in our culture. "Phobe" and "phobia" mean fear. Being against something is not the same as being afraid of it. I'm against pop radio. Does that make me a popophobe? Nopers. I fear no pop.

The fact is, some of us, including me, believe that homosexuality is morally wrong. No sense in arguing this point as we are all (on both sides) pretty set on our beliefs and have a right to believe what we choose. Not being judgmental or anything; I realize that on a forum of 10,000+ members, yeah, there's gonna be some homosexual folks, and I am not judging you in any way. I like just about everyone who posts here (regular posters, anyway), and whether or not you're gay will never change that.

To make my point clearer, I also believe that, for example, software piracy, arrogance, sexual lust and gossiping are morally wrong, but I would never hate someone for doing any of these (in fact I am guilty of all of them). Likewise, we (me and FETUS, for example) don't hate gay people, rather as he said we both have buddies who are gay/lesbian and know our personal beliefs, and do not feel threatened by us at all.

I know that homosexual feelings are genuine (something, by the way, that a homophobe would never admit) and that people have natural fetishes. I'm not arguing that. I dig fetishes; I have some of my own. Let's say a married man sees some fiery young babe. He's attracted. Sure, it's genuine. No question that it's his natural sense of sexual attraction kicking in, but how he acts on that is a moral choice.

Now, a moral belief is one thing. Legislating one particular belief is quite another altogether. The question of gay marriage is one that is much more difficult to say, "It's wrong - so nobody can do it because of the way I believe". Honestly I really dont know how I would come down on this.

And to Josh, I know that this particular topic strikes close to home, and I am not trying to argue or offend anyone. But I want to make sure that my view is not being misinterpreted. I love you man, please just take this as my opinion. I think you're a top notch guy, probably had excellent parenting.

I think I've said everything I wanted to on this issue and probably wont post anything more regarding it.

back to the ballots thing; whenever you hear of something like this happening, regardless of side (and you can bet it hapens on both), there's always a strong possibility that the opposite party is the guilty one. The party with the percieved "favor" on the ballot is due for a lot of controversy and negative backlash from the press and message board junkies.
Last edited by impetus on Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
FETUS
Knight of Null
Knight of Null

Post by FETUS »

In the Bible, Jesus told people to love one another. There are many who get the idea that hatred and intolerance are somehow justified by what they read in that very same book.
theres also some stuff in there about homosexuality being wrong, maybe you should pick it up some day and see what your critisizing.
You really need to invest in a dictionary. While the above statement does indeed indicate prejudice, so does just about everything else you have to say about homosexuals or homosexuality.
If you notice, I have no problems with homosexuals just homosexuality.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

FETUS wrote:
In the Bible, Jesus told people to love one another. There are many who get the idea that hatred and intolerance are somehow justified by what they read in that very same book.
theres also some stuff in there about homosexuality being wrong, maybe you should pick it up some day and see what your critisizing.
I will look up the passage you're most likely referring to because I do have a point to make, but I'd rather make it when I have the actual text to point to.
FETUS wrote:
If you notice, I have no problems with homosexuals just homosexuality.
In other words, you have no problem with gay people, but your problem is with what makes them who they are. That's interesting.

Impetus, I read your post and am not sure what to make of it. Can you explain why you feel that homosexuality is morally wrong? For that matter, why is lust morally wrong? If what you are doing in no way hurts another party, what is wrong with it? If I pick up a girl, we both decide to get busy, why is that immoral? If I were to get a girl drunk and then take advantage of her, that's another story altogether. I simply would like to better understand your position. I do agree that it is foolish to try and legislate personal beliefs. That's why I don't understand the reasoning those who are opposed to allowing gay marriage.