Halloween decoration mistaken for hate crime

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Halloween decoration mistaken for hate crime

Post by Roofus »

"It had the face of Frankenstein and the hands of a werewolf. Outfitted in jeans and flannel shirt, the creature - stuffed with crumpled newspaper - hung by the neck on a homemade gallows outside a home in the Allendale neighborhood. To its owner, 'Bob' was a Halloween decoration. But to Omali Yeshitela, it was a racially charged symbol of hate. On Tuesday, as police officers on the scene scrambled to contact the homeowner at work, Yeshitela and others from the International People's Democratic Uhuru Movement tore the dummy down... Colleen Watson was surprised and upset when police called her at work to say the display her 15-year-old son had spent two days creating had been torn down. She said it had never occurred to her it would offend anyone... Last year for Halloween, the family beheaded 'Bob,' replicating a guillotine. The year before, 'Bob' lay in a casket. But on Tuesday, 'Bob's' latest incarnation sparked anger."

Read article
Last edited by Roofus on Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Re: Halloween decoration mistaken for hate crime

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Roofus wrote:But to Omali poop, it was a racially charged symbol of hate.
Roofus wrote:poop and others from the International People's Democratic Uhuru Movement tore the dummy down...
The swear filter strikes again ;)
Roofus

Post by Roofus »

I fixed it. :lol:
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

It's thinking...
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

That is horible. The same thing happened in my town last year to someone I know. It was a straw stuffed man with a jackolaturn head and the ACLU was contacted about it cause it was being hung.
Sir Slash

Post by Sir Slash »

People are so F*CKING retarded........ i swear

go to hell you over sensitive retarded ignorant public.... next what? a ghost is representing the KKK? its freakin haloween get lives.... if it doesnt hurt you dont freaking bitch :evil:
WELCO
ME
TOT
HE
NEX
T
LEVEL

Roofus

Post by Roofus »

I wonder if these people just drive around all day looking for things to get offended about.
AgentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen

Post by AgentGreen »

The only people that should be offended are the monster-headed werewolf-hand people who have suffered years of oppression from the human race! But since they don't exist there isn't anything to be bitching about. I can see if the thing was wearing a Funkenstein mask though...
CoasterKing
Gone Postal...
Gone Postal...

Post by CoasterKing »

Roofus wrote:I wonder if these people just drive around all day looking for things to get offended about.
The world is full of nosey, PC loving, brainless do-gooders who act before they think.

Three years ago me and my friends were driving to a Halloween party and two of us in the backseat were wearing "wasssssssuuup" stoned scream masks (pictured below)

The morning after (7:30am to be precise. I'd had 2 hours sleep :evil: ) there were three policemen nearly breaking down our door, demanding to know where the four of us had been the night before. It turns out some moronic old wanker had reported my flatmates car registration number, saying that we were on our way to commit an armed robbery :roll: Luckily when we showed them the masks they had a good laugh about it.

I mean it was Halloween night for crying out loud... Whoever reported us was lacking good eyesight and quite possibly a brain too!
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

^ lol, that's too funny

as for the news article, GEEZ retarded people! A hate crime? No, invading someone's private property and vandalising - THAT's a crime.
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

It is funny because you can make a drunk irishman joke at a bar, but you can't hang a werewolf effigy. Personally I would press charges, and ask the judge to have to rebuild it instead of a prision sentence. What ever happened to just ASKING what the meaning of things are.
weeperofsouls
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by weeperofsouls »

people are stupid.
ragnarok2040
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by ragnarok2040 »

That's strange, no one's said anything about the child's leg sticking out of the dirt in my front yardlet.. thingie, but it's white and plastic.
mariobro
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mariobro »

But if someone put together a beheading scene on their lawn, you BET some people would get worked up...
"Until I finally made it, life was kinda hit or miss...
And I'd love to talk philosophy, but I gotta take a piss"
-David Lee Roth
int80h
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by int80h »

the ACLU was contacted about it cause it was being hung.
Uh-Oh, I hope nobody calls the ACLU on me because I'm hung too.