Chankast command line

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Barret7sc
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Barret7sc »

Inhabitants uses the PVR for drawing 2d stuff. And the final build uses threading, it sticks on a loading screen just like FoF.
Stef.D
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Stef.D »

Vorrtexx wrote: Well when you are compiling your program, you can just add an extra line or so to the Makefile that will convert the ELF to BIN for you. And if you have no external files, Chanka can run the standalone BIN file for you. The ISO is only needed if you have files other than the main executable.
Sorry, I didn't make that clear in my earlier post :)
Ok, so i just have a standalone ELF file (including romdisk) to test, what command i should use to convert it to bin ?
Vorrtexx
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Vorrtexx »

well you could add this to your Makefile (Where TARGET is the name of the output filename:

$(TARGET).bin : $(TARGET).elf
$(KOS_OBJCOPY) -v -O binary $(TARGET).elf $(TARGET).bin

and you may need to change the "all" to this:

all: rm-elf $(TARGET).bin

or if you want to do it manually:

Where TARGET is the name of your elf/bin file to output.
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

All I have to say, is thank for for the great emulator. The speed is GREAT! The ONLY con I have is the 2 texturing. In the 3 versions of the program, either the 2D stuff is there with scrambled 3D stuff, or the 3D stuff is perfect and there's no 2D stuff, lmao. Keep up the good work. You know? You should get a badge in DCEMU for your contributions. Thanks agian. I hope that Soul Calibur will be supported someday... Good luck!

Spreading his inquiries all over the net!

<^_^>
Barret7sc
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Barret7sc »

Ok, this is odd. The full version of Inhabitants works fine when I make it into an ISO and run it through Chankast. It runs way too fast, too. And for some reason, it thinks my US bios is not, and gives me the 50/60 hz switch. Odd.
speud
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by speud »

Christuserloeser wrote:
speud wrote:also i noticed "dreamkey 3" was mentionned in the list of homebrews tested with chanka, although its not a homebrew.
Doesn't matter if homebrew or not. Everything that's legal can be tested. Bleem!cast is sth that I'd not consider as 'homebrew' too though it can't be loaded with the current release of Chanka, but maybe with the next version as one of the author announced.
There are MP3 and VCD player available at Lik-Sang that could be tested too as they are released as normal CDs...

Chris
wraggster wrote:Chanka Compatibility Chart: (Homebrew Only)
also i dont know what you mean by it being legal.
do you mean to download dk3's iso would be legal according to you? if so its not.
and its also strange to see the paradox of dcemu.co.uk's that forbids links to official dc browsers' rips in its rules, while it considers they are homebrew in the chankast compatibility list :?:
http://blueswirl.fr.st - DC Online Tools and Downloads

thx to Wack0 for the avatar ;)
Vorrtexx
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Vorrtexx »

Barret7sc wrote:Ok, this is odd. The full version of Inhabitants works fine when I make it into an ISO and run it through Chankast.
yeah I've found that to be the case with some games. Mine wouldn't work from CD or a mounted CD image, but if I put it into an ISO file, it ran fine.
speud
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by speud »

something i would be curious to know: what happens when a game is not compatible most of the time? does it crash the emu when trying to boot it? or does it start anyway and crashes later?

Vorrtexx
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Vorrtexx »

Sometimes the emu will lock up.
Sometimes it will appear it's running, as in the FPS are continuously counting, but no image is displaying.
Sometimes they will boot, and maybe trying to start them the emu will just stop responding.
and with most SDL apps I tested, they will lock up about 2 - 3 seconds and display this black mouse arrow cursor in the top left corner of the display window.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

@speud:
speud wrote:
wraggster wrote:Chanka Compatibility Chart: (Homebrew Only)
Visit http://www.DCEmu.co.uk ... I've never said that I'd like to consider it a homebrew only Compatibility Chart.
IMO it's the only true Compatibility Chart because all other stuff is pressed on GDs and therefor not readable with an ordinary CD/DVD drive.If there ever should be a really positive effect for the scene with Chanka's release then the one that it could help testing and debugging homebrew productions and the only way we all could help to improve Chanka for that would be to actually test available homebrew with it so it could be improved for the needs of a DC devver.
Also it isn't really helpful to say "Ikaruga runs perfectly without any flaws" or something similar cause it will only be a 'What should I download first?'-FAQ for the Warez community.
speud wrote:also i dont know what you mean by it being legal.
do you mean to download dk3's iso would be legal according to you? if so its not.
Why necessarily downloading it? Isn't that thing available as an ordinary CD (= not as GD)? If so it'd be np to check it with Chanka otherwise I'll have to excuse me for this big mistake :o
speud wrote:and its also strange to see the paradox of dcemu.co.uk's that forbids links to official dc browsers' rips in its rules, while it considers they are homebrew in the chankast compatibility list :?:
see above
speud wrote:
Christuserloeser wrote:There are MP3 and VCD player available at Lik-Sang that could be tested too as they are released as normal CDs...
:!:

I am not sure if most CD releases would work with Chanka, the Bleem!cast packs currently won't.

Chris
Insane homebrew collector.
speud
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by speud »

dreamkey 3 is a browser made by access and released in gd-rom format, its distributed by sega of europe, so its like reporting ikaruga's compatibility.

Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

:oops: Ooops! I don't have it so I didn't know...

Damn!

Chris
Insane homebrew collector.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Vorrtexx wrote:Sometimes the emu will lock up.
Sometimes it will appear it's running, as in the FPS are continuously counting, but no image is displaying.
Sometimes they will boot, and maybe trying to start them the emu will just stop responding.
and with most SDL apps I tested, they will lock up about 2 - 3 seconds and display this black mouse arrow cursor in the top left corner of the display window.
Knowing SDL well if it does display the mouse pointer, it has started and did load. But it sounds like it did not find, the files or paths to the files of the app game emu.

Black screen with the pointer most times means wrongs paths or some how the paths to the files it needs are not geting found.

I would try the iso trick you did to make the others work on a simple SDL app like the one i did to display a bmp or jpg. And the mirror kos example in the same style both are on my site under development.
Dreamcast forever!!!
SegaGamer
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by SegaGamer »

sorry to break the news to you but by downloading/copying Dreamkey 3.0 actually saves sega money. Dreamkey was given away by SEGA to those who owned a dreamcast and emailed them, as dreamkey 3.0 is not sold in any shop (never was, never will).
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Hmm It was not free in australia.
Dreamcast forever!!!
speud
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by speud »

SegaGamer wrote:sorry to break the news to you but by downloading/copying Dreamkey 3.0 actually saves sega money. Dreamkey was given away by SEGA to those who owned a dreamcast and emailed them, as dreamkey 3.0 is not sold in any shop (never was, never will).
this is not a debate about the legality of some isos. dk3 is not homebrew and has to be ripped to be runned with chankast, so thats why i pointed it shouldnt be in a homebrew list.

now dk3 is a commercial product, it is given for free to european people in a commercial strategy, the day it will cost something to sega they will simply stop sending them.

if you start to legitimate this one youll get some people claiming you help sega when you distribute sonic's iso because sega dont make any money on it anymore, then it will be another game, etc.

Vorrtexx
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Vorrtexx »

Ian, the simple SDL example now works. I posted a screen of it at dcemu.
speud
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by speud »

Vorrtexx wrote:Ian, the simple SDL example now works. I posted a screen of it at dcemu.
good news.
so its more likely a problem with the paths?

Stef.D
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Stef.D »

Vorrtexx wrote:well you could add this to your Makefile (Where TARGET is the name of the output filename:

$(TARGET).bin : $(TARGET).elf

and you may need to change the "all" to this:

all: rm-elf $(TARGET).bin

or if you want to do it manually:

Where TARGET is the name of your elf/bin file to output.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Vorrtexx wrote:Ian, the simple SDL example now works. I posted a screen of it at dcemu.
That's great. When you said there was a mouse pointer that means SDL inited fine and set video mode.

just could not find the paths.

Going to see the screen shots good news.
Dreamcast forever!!!