Dreamcast HDMI? VGA to HDMI?

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
bbmario
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Dreamcast HDMI? VGA to HDMI?

Post by bbmario »

Is there any HDMI adapter for DC? Or maybe a VGA to HDMI so i can use DC's VGA cable?
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Re: Dreamcast HDMI? VGA to HDMI?

Post by pixel »

The Dreamcast can only output an analog signal -- even with a VGA box. But HDMI is digital-only. So that means you'll need to convert the signal from analog to digital. Luckily, there are devices that do just that.

Another option, if your TV/monitor supports it, is to use DVI. This doesn't require a conversion from analog to digital and uses a simple adapter.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Re: Dreamcast HDMI? VGA to HDMI?

Post by |darc| »

pixel wrote:Another option, if your TV/monitor supports it, is to use DVI. This doesn't require a conversion from analog to digital and uses a simple adapter.

This only applies if your TV accepts a DVI-A signal. I have never owned a TV with a DVI port, so I can't say for sure, but I would wager that the majority of TVs with DVI ports only accept DVI-D (otherwise, the manufacturer would likely have just put a VGA port since DVI-A and VGA are the same signal and VGA is much, much more likely to be desired by a consumer than DVI-A).
It's thinking...