Castlevania

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Castlevania

Post by DaMadFiddler »

fucking rocks.

The graphics are great (though the camera can be a little troublesome at times), the levels are well designed, and--unlike a lot of action/platform games--actually make some logical sense in terms of what they're supposed to be, the game is very difficult but not in a cheap way, and it's like they just took the best of everything they should have done with Castlevania on the PS2 and knocked it out of the park.

It's narrated by Patrick Stewart.

It was directed by Hideo Kojima.

The environments look like something out of Pan's Labyrinth.

It's got the deep fighting/moves/upgrade system of God of War, the platforming of Prince of Persia, and the epic boss fights of Shadow of the Colossus. It may not be bringing many new ideas to the table, but what it has done is take the best of everything and work them together really, really well.

A lot of reviews seem to talk about how it's "a good game, but doesn't really feel like Castlevania." But from the way they describe it, they seem to be basing their opinions of what "feels like Castlevania" on Symphony of the Night and the subsequent Metroidvania titles. This game clearly had its eye on the NES games, and taking a careful look about how that sort of design and aesthetic would translate into a more modern game design. If you're comparing it to SotN, the no it doesn't seem very closely related. but if you're using CV and CV3 as your point of reference, then this title seems a very natural evolution.

This is exactly what I've been waiting to see from this series.

And now, if you'll excuse me, I have some gaming to do.
Klonoa
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Re: Castlevania

Post by Klonoa »

Bump

Finished this game a few weeks ago I thought some of the parts were really reeeally tedious. But I love the ending and can't wait to see what they do in the next game pretty curious and excited how it'll turn out. :grin:
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Re: Castlevania

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Klonoa wrote:Bump

Finished this game a few weeks ago I thought some of the parts were really reeeally tedious. But I love the ending and can't wait to see what they do in the next game pretty curious and excited how it'll turn out. :grin:
I stopped playing for a long time because of how tedious the music box level was. It was neat in concept for about five minutes, then I got bored with it.

However, I still stand by my earlier statements regarding the overall awesomeness of the game.