Xbox 360 Wireless Networking

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Xbox 360 Wireless Networking

Post by curt_grymala »

Here's the deal:
1) I have a satellite Internet connection. The satellite modem is in our bedroom. I have it plugged into a wireless router in our bedroom.
2) My stepson has an Xbox 360 in his bedroom (on the other side of the house).
3) We would like to be able to allow him to connect to Xbox Live.

Here are the stumbling blocks in our way:
1) There is no way we're going to get him a wired connection, because that would mean having to run a ~60-foot ethernet cable through the house.
2) He's most likely never going to save $100 to get himself the stupid proprietary wireless adapter for the Xbox.

So, my question is:
If I can get another wireless router for less than $50, would we be able to set that up in his bedroom, connect his Xbox into it and then somehow network it with our existing wireless router? Or will I need to specifically get a wireless extender of some sort?

My existing wireless router is a Linksys Wireless-G router (WRT54G). I've seen some articles online about using an old wireless router to do this, but I don't know if those require an old wireless router, or if they'll work with any of the newer ones I can buy today. I also don't know for sure if another wireless router will be compatible with my current router.

For instance, I found a Netgear wireless router for $40 (http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/ ... D:SC3:CG58), but I don't know if I can use it for this type of setup. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Re: Xbox 360 Wireless Networking

Post by BlackAura »

We once tried using one of those for the same purpose. Didn't work. It can only be used to create a new wireless network - it can't connect to an existing one.

The hardware can usually do it, but the firmware on the device usually can't. Most manufacturers sell three classes of device - a wireless router, a wireless access point (for creating new networks), and a wireless bridge (for joining existing networks), typically with inflexible software that won't let you do anything else.

So what you're after is a wireless bridge. In my experience, these tend to be crap (I've had three burn out on me, before I replaced it with a USB WiFi dongle in a Linux box acting as a router), and tend to cost a bit more than an access point. They're insanely expensive in this country - often more than a decent router.

If you have a router than can be flashed with DD-WRT (I think the one you linked to can), it can be configured to act as a bridge. You just have to be willing to buy a device that doesn't do what you want out of the box, and reflash it with DD-WRT (voiding the warranty in the process, of course) before you can use it.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers

That's one of the reasons I love these devices with flashable firmware - a wireless device with built-in firmware half as flexible as DD-WRT would probably cost thousands.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Adding to what BlackAura said, that router you currently have might just be a router compatible with the custom firmware. If it is, then you could just use your current router as the bridge and buy pretty much any router you want for the replacement.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

DD-WRT is a lifesaver for any geek. I flashed my WRT54G and it works wonders. The only issue I've encountered pushing the router too hard. With its limited memory, my router often skirts close to its maximum. I've been in situations where I've taxed it too much and caused it to fail. Other than that, I have dyndns running along with other bells and whistles and it works fantastically.
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

Very cool news. Thanks for the info, guys. It sounds like I can run out and buy pretty much any router I want, as Pixel says the WRT54G is flashable.

Of course, once I finally do do that, I'll probably be back looking for support on actually setting it up (assuming the articles I found aren't descriptive or detailed enough).
DreamZone Forums

Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Make sure you get the right WRT54G. I have a version that can't be flashed according to that site linked earlier, but I have a feeling that's due to Australia having different hardware or something.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

The newer WRT54G models have different hardware, less available flash, less RAM, and a different OS. They usually can't be flashed, but the WRT54GL models can (basically the same as the last flashable WRT54G, but slightly more expensive).
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

I was pissed too because this WRT54G only cost $50
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

I'll probably run out to OfficeMax or Staples this weekend and see what I can find in the way of inexpensive routers. Hopefully I'll get one that can be flashed (or, if not, hopefully my WRT54G can be) and I'll be able to get it working properly.
DreamZone Forums

MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

Probably too late at this point-- but the last 2 years I've been using an Apple AirPort Express as a bridge with my 360, and it works perfectly.

The g-version of it can be found for under $50 used.
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
ccb_v2
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by ccb_v2 »

My WRT54G v6 just died this last weekend. All LEDs lit except DMZ, and no response from the device. :cry:
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

The time you spent writing that post could have been used to just run the ethernet line.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Satellite internet? Unless things have changed recently, don't bother unless you want your stepson to kill himself out of lag frustration.

Besides that, monoprice has a 75ft ethernet cable for $6.62. Wired is just plain better, be a man and spend an hour in your attic with your stepson.
It's thinking...
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

|darc| wrote:
Besides that, monoprice has a 75ft ethernet cable for $6.62. Wired is just plain better, be a man and spend an hour in your attic with your stepson.

Amen
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe