Horror Game Coming to Dreamcast

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
HTD
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Horror Game Coming to Dreamcast

Post by HTD »

Hey Guys,

Nothing major as far as Releases or anything like that.
I just figured id post this on behalf of Team Requiem who are working on a Horror game Entitled "Jennys Reunion".

The game is very similar to the original Clock Tower for the Super Nintendo and draws other inspirations from more recent Horror titles.

The game is in Early Stages of Development.

Heres some quick teaser and a little additional information to wet your appitite.

The images you see before your sparkling twinkle eyes are the games protagonist.

Her name is Alice

Artwork By Armando Elizondo

Some sprites for your viewing pleasure
Sprite Art by Durwin Au

ImageImage
ImageImage

Story

1974 Orwell Abby Boarding School

The group looked on at the strange student standing alone in the Dinning Hall.
They couldn't believe this Girl was for real, Her name was Jenny people had said.
She was always afraid, some said she had creepy powers.
The group are introduced to her when Jenny tries to befriend them.
They take this as an opportunity to play a cruel joke on Jenny.
They ask her to join their after dark party and meet up with her in the abandoned section of the school.
Forcing her to partake in a Ouija Board, the view finder spells out Reunion.
Suddenly Jenny becomes truly disturbed as the rest of the group take it as an opportunity to laugh at her.
She runs away, slowly becoming concerned the Group start looking for her in order to apologize.
Alice (one of the group members) sees Jenny alone above the great oak tree that shadows the courtyard.
She climbs the tree and tries to persuade Jenny to come down, Jenny is too disturbed to communicate with,
all of a sudden she grabs Alice and says "There is nothing any of us can do, you are responsible for this,
we are doomed to die forever", Alice is scared and pushes Jenny away, as Jenny is pushed she loses her gripping on
the Tree and falls. Jenny's scarf gets attached to one of the branches of the Tree, resulting in her braking her neck.
Alice looks down in shock.

They had forgotten about that terrible night.
Alice is involved in a car accident, the last thing she remembers is seeing a Ghostly Girl stand looking at her from her
Hospital bed, Alice closes her eyes.
When she awakens she is in a building reminiscent to Maxwell Boarding school but different to what she recalls, the rooms
are morphed, the atmosphere is unworldly.
As she struggles to find a way out of this nightmarish school she soon discovers others are in this place also.
Her old school friends are trapped with her and running for their lives against pure evil.
Can she survive in a place full of these abnormal stalkers that first for her blood.
Can she discover what really happened to Jenny?.

How the game works:

As the player investigates the Boarding School they will have to solve various puzzles, collect various keys in order
to progress through the game. As they do this they will come into contact with various characters some will be other
Victims in the house that you will work together with in order to survive.
Another will be evil stalkers that hunt them down during this process.
Alice has many options which she can use at her disposal, from hiding inside lockers, under tables and beds or even staying
out of the Stalkers sight. Certain items can be equipped also for attacking the Stalkers but unlike other Survival Horror
games where your character is trained in Combat, Alice is a normal women with little combat ability, so therefore it is
advised you only attack when the moment arises otherwise Alice could find herself dead quite easily.
It isn't just Stalkers Alice has to be afraid of it is also a house full of unspeakable death traps situated all around
the School.

Obviously the game is in it's very early stages so I cannot talk on behalf of Requiem when the release date is due.
The game is being coded and the design phase is almost entirely finished hoping to move into production this year.

Just thought id let you know
HTD

Jenny's Reunion © Requiem 06/09/2007
DCDayDreamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Re: Horror Game Coming to Dreamcast

Post by DCDayDreamer »

Now this looks really good, I'll be keeping an eye out for any updates, thanks for the info (and teaser) :D .
Across the Universe
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Neat! Keep us updated with any links, etc.
It's thinking...
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Looks rather professional, great effort!
HTD
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by HTD »

Thanks for your comments,
The game is planned to be a "homebrew Commercial Release".
Depending on how much interest it raises will obviously depend on the price of what it sells for.
I'll definately keep you all updated as soon as I get more information.
"Expect Silent Hill mixed with a Dario Argento Film" - Reqieum
Cool Stuff Indeed
Dreamcast alive
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by Dreamcast alive »

This looks really great! Probably the first homebrew game I will buy if there are good critics :D.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Look great, please keep us updated. By the way, this should be definitely be front page news!
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

quite interesting, keep us updated. I'll be sure to get it.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Looks great ! - I bought every homebrew release for DC out there and I'll sure be buying this too :wink:
Insane homebrew collector.
TechnoWolf
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by TechnoWolf »

Does look good...
Refreshing to know the DC still inspires what looks like a major effort.
I'll be grabbing this one up too. Keep the 411 coming!
Deth2k7
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Deth2k7 »

I'm looking forward to this, I could always use something new to play on my Dreamcast.
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer
Elysian Shadows Developer

Post by GyroVorbis »

Wow, that looks very nice. Good luck to you guys!
Tonfa
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Tonfa »

That looks fantastic, and as a fan of Clock Tower myself, I am eagerly awaiting more info on this. I wish you all the best on making it. I know I'll definately play it.
mink03
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by mink03 »

cant wait to see some vids of this in action!
crabcakes
HTD
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by HTD »

Dreamcast alive wrote:This looks really great! Probably the first homebrew game I will buy if there are good critics :D.
Great to hear
Tyne wrote:Look great, please keep us updated. By the way, this should be definitely be front page news!
I will update as soon as the team are ready to display art/sprites/story/video/demos
I think front page news should be when a Demo is ready for download and burning.
As I have said JR is still heavy in production, a lot of the game mechanics reflect modern 3D Survival Horror games, so a Demo is still far off.
It will be worth it though this I am most sure of.
Nico0020 wrote:quite interesting, keep us updated. I'll be sure to get it.
Appreciate your support
Christuserloeser wrote:Looks great ! - I bought every homebrew release for DC out there and I'll sure be buying this too :wink:

Its great to see you support the DC, I think that this game and a few others being developed will introduce people to the potential the DC has.
TechnoWolf wrote:Does look good...
Refreshing to know the DC still inspires what looks like a major effort.
I'll be grabbing this one up too. Keep the 411 coming!
Will do, Thats a good set of words to describe this project "A Major Effort".
The team are working for a top end 2D game with few exceptions.
They would like this to stand out as a game with depth and spirit to it.
Deth2k7 wrote:I'm looking forward to this, I could always use something new to play on my Dreamcast.

After JR, depending on its popularity.
There are a few titles planned.
GyroVorbis wrote:Wow, that looks very nice. Good luck to you guys!
Thanks for the support once again.
Tonfa wrote:That looks fantastic, and as a fan of Clock Tower myself, I am eagerly awaiting more info on this. I wish you all the best on making it. I know I'll definately play it.
Amazing news to hear, This game is being made by people who feel very similar.
Jennys Reunion is I guess you could say the "Silent Hill" of Clock Tower.
I hope you love it.

Should have some updates real soon, as for the Demo.
Its still in early development and not being rushed on.
We would like to release something that feels like a finished product.
Keep you all posted.

Thanks for your support guys,

HTD
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Just interested if there's going to be any sort of combat, and if so how will it be done?
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
HTD
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by HTD »

Alice is a normal person.
She has no combat skills and fights like a terrified person would...at times quite manic.

Controls:

Unlike ClockTower the controls are free flowing, so in other words you dont have a point and click control system. The player will move if your moving them, attack if your attacking with them, crouch if your pressing the crouch button.

A rough guide to Stalking by HTD:

Say for example you are exploring an Area, you start to hear a sound of someone elses pressence. Sooner or later your bound to run into a Stalker.
These Stalkers have a line of sight that can see you from a certain distance, It can hear your heavy breathing, the lightest of sounds.
If it detects you Alice will have no chance against it head on, in order for her to survive her best bet is to choose stealth over combat.
If the stalker sees Alice it will initiate a chase mode.

Chase:
The Stalker relentlessly follows Alice, You have to balance your stamina if your going to straight out run it. The best option is to use the rooms and surroundings to:
A) Avoid It
B) Lure it into a trap
Sometimes during Chase sequences a Q.T.E mode is initiated as well.

Hide:
When the stalker loses Alice, It will start to hunt her down.
Looking through possible rooms and areas in the room where she could be.
Alice can use her enviroment to hide.
Sometimes this would involve just crawling by a desk and avoiding the stalker line of sight.
Other times it would be better to risk hiding in say a locker and waiting till its safe to come out.
If the stalker finds Alice in a hiding place, sometimes this means instant death other times you will have to go through a Q.T.E event.

The Enemies you face will literally hunt you down, from room to room if they see you.
They will check hiding places also so be warned, staying in what seems a safe place isnt always the best option in the longrun.

Attacking:
Option B.. Lure the stalker into a trap.
The combat system works on these grounds.
Alice has to charge her attacks up to get any type of effective shot.
In order to do this she has to be in a good position for the stalker not to see the attack.
Using stealth she judge where the best place would be to attack the stalker.
If Alice charges fully she can deliver a brutal attack, if she charges midium then she deliver a reasonable blow, if she charges low then she will just go for a manic shot.
Each attack has its pros and cons which will either save you or hinder you.
Alice can move while she draws her weapon.
If you dedicate your shot, this can lead to a successful blow which can halt the stalker for a while, even injure them. If you fail, this can lead to the stalker countering or disarming you or even being alerted to your pressence.
It also wastes your energy so you have to be careful and time your attacks correctly to even stand a chance.

Weapons and Charging:
The weapons in the game are items found in the enviroment of the school, some of these are very basic in usage like a rock to distract a stalkers attention by throwing it. Some are more leathal like a kickchen knife or hockeystick.
Alice can also use the enviroment as a weapon if there are areas that could be used to hinder a stalker.
Charging is done by looking at Alices animation once the draw button has been pressed.
Alice will have 3 different types of draw animations one for each level.

Stamina/Mind:
With every action you do Alice will lose stamina.
This slowly rebuilds when Alice is stationary.
Some actions require more Stamina.
Your Stamina will effect how well you do in situations and must be respected.
Mind Status is either 3 things, Calm, Scared or Terrified.
While Calm you are much more precise with your actions and can deal with situations better.
When Scared you are still reasonable adapt but will at times go into shock.
Terrified is when your actions are rushed, Alice will not be able to be stealthy but her Draw Charging increases speed, she will also waste energy needlessly.

Health:
Similar to resident evil when your characters health is at certain levels this can result in them being injured.
Meaning that they are slower at doing tasks and also in pain.

Normal Alice: Full Health

Damaged Alice: Slightly Slower in pain and unable to make a quick get away

Near Death Alice: Unable to stand and in severe pain

Jennys Reunion works on a Three Strikes your out system.
The Stalker will have 3 different LEVELS of attack, if Alice is Normal she can handle Level 2 and under, say the stalker attacks with a Level 1 attack then Alice will gain a strike.
Normal Alice would turn into Damaged Alice, Damaged Alice would change into Near Death Alice, Near Death Alice would die.
Be warned Stalkers may attack with an instant kill shot no matter what level your on.

Unlike Resident Evil/Silent Hill you wont be fighting your way through hordes of enemies.
This game takes a more similar path to games like Forbidden Siren, stealth over excessive fighting.
Stalkers can be killed various times and return if certain conditions have not been reach to cease their exsistance.
With a device similar to Q.T.E in Shenmue, Alice will sometimes have to think fast on her feet while dueling or evading a stalker.
Most of the game could be described as a cat and mouse game much like ClockTower.
Enemies are not always Stalkers.
Puzzles and Boss battles are also involved but these are not always focusing primary on combat.

I hope that gives you a certain idea of what the game will be like.
It's very different than Resident Evil.
Any more questions feel free to ask.
The game is more like Metal Gear 2 (MSX) in gameplay terms.
Tonfa
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Tonfa »

Sounds very cool, and applause on the control scheme. The more I read on this, the more I'm excited to play it.
HTD wrote:Alice is a normal person.
She has no combat skills and fights like a terrified person would...at times quite manic.

Controls:

Unlike ClockTower the controls are free flowing, so in other words you dont have a point and click control system. The player will move if your moving them, attack if your attacking with them, crouch if your pressing the crouch button.

A rough guide to Stalking by HTD:

Say for example you are exploring an Area, you start to hear a sound of someone elses pressence. Sooner or later your bound to run into a Stalker.
These Stalkers have a line of sight that can see you from a certain distance, It can hear your heavy breathing, the lightest of sounds.
If it detects you Alice will have no chance against it head on, in order for her to survive her best bet is to choose stealth over combat.
If the stalker sees Alice it will initiate a chase mode.

Chase:
The Stalker relentlessly follows Alice, You have to balance your stamina if your going to straight out run it. The best option is to use the rooms and surroundings to:
A) Avoid It
B) Lure it into a trap
Sometimes during Chase sequences a Q.T.E mode is initiated as well.

Hide:
When the stalker loses Alice, It will start to hunt her down.
Looking through possible rooms and areas in the room where she could be.
Alice can use her enviroment to hide.
Sometimes this would involve just crawling by a desk and avoiding the stalker line of sight.
Other times it would be better to risk hiding in say a locker and waiting till its safe to come out.
If the stalker finds Alice in a hiding place, sometimes this means instant death other times you will have to go through a Q.T.E event.

The Enemies you face will literally hunt you down, from room to room if they see you.
They will check hiding places also so be warned, staying in what seems a safe place isnt always the best option in the longrun.

Attacking:
Option B.. Lure the stalker into a trap.
The combat system works on these grounds.
Alice has to charge her attacks up to get any type of effective shot.
In order to do this she has to be in a good position for the stalker not to see the attack.
Using stealth she judge where the best place would be to attack the stalker.
If Alice charges fully she can deliver a brutal attack, if she charges midium then she deliver a reasonable blow, if she charges low then she will just go for a manic shot.
Each attack has its pros and cons which will either save you or hinder you.
Alice can move while she draws her weapon.
If you dedicate your shot, this can lead to a successful blow which can halt the stalker for a while, even injure them. If you fail, this can lead to the stalker countering or disarming you or even being alerted to your pressence.
It also wastes your energy so you have to be careful and time your attacks correctly to even stand a chance.

Weapons and Charging:
The weapons in the game are items found in the enviroment of the school, some of these are very basic in usage like a rock to distract a stalkers attention by throwing it. Some are more leathal like a kickchen knife or hockeystick.
Alice can also use the enviroment as a weapon if there are areas that could be used to hinder a stalker.
Charging is done by looking at Alices animation once the draw button has been pressed.
Alice will have 3 different types of draw animations one for each level.

Stamina/Mind:
With every action you do Alice will lose stamina.
This slowly rebuilds when Alice is stationary.
Some actions require more Stamina.
Your Stamina will effect how well you do in situations and must be respected.
Mind Status is either 3 things, Calm, Scared or Terrified.
While Calm you are much more precise with your actions and can deal with situations better.
When Scared you are still reasonable adapt but will at times go into shock.
Terrified is when your actions are rushed, Alice will not be able to be stealthy but her Draw Charging increases speed, she will also waste energy needlessly.

Health:
Similar to resident evil when your characters health is at certain levels this can result in them being injured.
Meaning that they are slower at doing tasks and also in pain.

Normal Alice: Full Health

Damaged Alice: Slightly Slower in pain and unable to make a quick get away

Near Death Alice: Unable to stand and in severe pain

Jennys Reunion works on a Three Strikes your out system.
The Stalker will have 3 different LEVELS of attack, if Alice is Normal she can handle Level 2 and under, say the stalker attacks with a Level 1 attack then Alice will gain a strike.
Normal Alice would turn into Damaged Alice, Damaged Alice would change into Near Death Alice, Near Death Alice would die.
Be warned Stalkers may attack with an instant kill shot no matter what level your on.

Unlike Resident Evil/Silent Hill you wont be fighting your way through hordes of enemies.
This game takes a more similar path to games like Forbidden Siren, stealth over excessive fighting.
Stalkers can be killed various times and return if certain conditions have not been reach to cease their exsistance.
With a device similar to Q.T.E in Shenmue, Alice will sometimes have to think fast on her feet while dueling or evading a stalker.
Most of the game could be described as a cat and mouse game much like ClockTower.
Enemies are not always Stalkers.
Puzzles and Boss battles are also involved but these are not always focusing primary on combat.

I hope that gives you a certain idea of what the game will be like.
It's very different than Resident Evil.
Any more questions feel free to ask.
The game is more like Metal Gear 2 (MSX) in gameplay terms.
HTD
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by HTD »

Early sketch design of Lucy.

Lucy:

"A troubled stray minded soul.
She was once queen but is now dirt.
Forever to travel in the maze of purgatory."

Alice will meet her former classmate during her adventure.
Although only 10 years have past Alice can see that Lucy has learnt a hard lesson in life and refuses to change despite this.
Lucy can appear trust worthy and playful at times, but deep inside of her is a selfish child that will always put herself first instead of others.
She is like a apple rotting from the inside out.

Artwork by Armando Elizondo
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

This design is great. Certainly one of the best in any homebrew DC game.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube