Salvaged cars..?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Mattiethomas
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Salvaged cars..?

Post by Mattiethomas »

Alright, so I am buying my first car soon. After tiring months of work and struggle, I can buy a car now. We aren't talking some fancy car though, I am mostly looking at just Honda accord or civics. I have $4000 to buy a car, and I happened to stumble upon a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon which I fell in love with for the design of the car and features. For how dated it is, it looks great still.

I found a car online and went to look at it, upon seeing the title I saw it was titled as a rebuilt salvage. That killed me, because I loved driving the car and I fell in complete love with it. I'm asking for advice if I should just pass this up. The car is $3700, but I might be able to bring it down since it's salvaged. A clear-title car like this would be worth around $6500. I know the price makes it look like I should pay a lot less. I drove it and everything feels great but I know even with it like that, it can still be a bad idea.

Has anyone had any experience with salvaged cars in the past?
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Re: Salvaged cars..?

Post by Code-Red »

I've personally rebuilt salvaged cars, and from my experience, no matter who it is rebuilding them, they are never the same. The windows may rattle inside of the doors, the A pillars might shake, the alignment never stays straight, things that should have been replaced weren't, etc....

Plain and simple, I'm going to say no. The only way I'd buy a salvaged car would be if I was considering it track (road race) it.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

Wow, 4k here in richmond you could get a 2002 benz for that.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

Stay away from it unless you personally know a good mechanic (not recomended to you by him, obvously) that can come check it out. Even then if he says its alright and you still want it low ball the shit out of that and offer 2k tops.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

A 2003 Hyundai isn't too dated. Hell, I have a 1975 Oldsmobile Cutlass that I'm restoring. :P
Mattiethomas
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Mattiethomas »

Appreciate the help guys. I passed on the salvage and got a 2001 Honda Civic Coupe. Loving it!
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Mattiethomas wrote:Appreciate the help guys. I passed on the salvage and got a 2001 Honda Civic Coupe. Loving it!
Honda Civics are good reliable cars, and they're much nicer now than they used to be. (They started off as an economy model, and now are more of a midrange). My parents moved to California from Kentucky in a 1978 Civic.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Eviltaco64X wrote:A 2003 Hyundai isn't too dated. Hell, I have a 1975 Oldsmobile Cutlass that I'm restoring. :P
Admit it: this is you, isn't it?

Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

Since I couldn't be arsed to take a picture, this is currently what the car looks like:
^ Note the ugly pale 70s green

Right now, the interior has some mildew damage, the break pads and battery need to be replaced, and the vinyl top has to be repatched.

I'm planning on making it look more like this:

I think the speakers are shot on it as well so I'll find some good speakers from someone like Pioneer.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

Honda civis are great cars they're like any car in that keep up on your fluids and pay attention to weird noises and you'll be cool. My gf has one and iirc at around 80-100k miles the timing belt starts going (could be a diff belt) thats all I can think of thats a like hardcore pay attention around this mile marker kinda shit.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God