Hey there.

This is a forum for discussing the feasibility of getting emulators, games, or other applications that have had their source released ported to the Dreamcast. Please read the Porting FAQ before starting a topic in this forum!
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Hey there.

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

Hey all. Just thought I'd drop by. I've just been thinking about my past days in Dreamcast development and kinda miss it. I think the reason is that I just landed a new job doing heavy Adobe Flex development and ActionScript makes me think of that port of Javascript that i used in NesterDC SE. I've been bouncing around in my head what it might take to take open source Flash to the next level, and in a way that would make it usable on DC. The thing is, the DC still is a powerful platform. Maybe I'm just getting nostalgic, I dunno.

What been going on in DC dev that's worth noting? It looks like there was a small update released to NesterDC SE with the plain rom browser implemented (maybe other stuff). That's cool.

I'm going to bust out my old DC and hook it up. Hopefully it still works.

For some reason I've really been thinking about getting Flash/Flex to run on the DC. In my first couple weeks at my new job I've been learning a lot about them and how it works under the hood. I know there are some semi-functional, open-source Flash players out there, but, from what I remember, they all quit for some reason or another.

Oh well, that's what's on my mind. I hope you've all been well.
DCDayDreamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected
Been thanked: 0

Re: Hey there.

Post by DCDayDreamer »

Would those nostalgic feelings make you consider continuing with the DreamScript project? :wink: .

Nice to see you haven't forgotten the old DC, it's also nice to see you dropping by.
Across the Universe
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

Either continuing DreamScript or doing something that is more portable/standard, like a full Flash/Flex implementation. Ideally I want to make something that would play the same on PC as DC with little to no effort in porting the game or apps. I think it's possible, just a lot of work but also worth it.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Hi, nice to see you around :)

Yeah, I released a small unofficial NesterDC SE update based on your hints on enabling the file browser : viewtopic.php?f=72&t=98192&p=1008712

Since the release I've noticed some problems - like not being able to put more than ~100 or so ROMs on it, otherwise you'd be unable to load a game IIRC.

I'd love to assist you with adjusting the menu theme for an official update - in case you get that nasty itch again.
Insane homebrew collector.
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

Obligatory support for reputable coder +1. :)
Strapping Scherzo wrote:Either continuing DreamScript or doing something that is more portable/standard, like a full Flash/Flex implementation. Ideally I want to make something that would play the same on PC as DC with little to no effort in porting the game or apps. I think it's possible, just a lot of work but also worth it.
Mind if I ask what this could open up if ported?
ImageImageImageImage
nanDC
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by nanDC »

Strapping Scherzo wrote:For some reason I've really been thinking about getting Flash/Flex to run on the DC. In my first couple weeks at my new job I've been learning a lot about them and how it works under the hood.
Hi there,

I'm sorry if I'm being too intrusive but I just stumbled upon this thread by chance, and now I have a hard time trying to hold back my excitement!

I'm not much of a low level programmer myself (actually I'm not a programmer at all) but I do know my way around AS3/FLEX SDK, so if your idea would actually materialise to some degree it would make it possible for me to start making small games for the DC pretty much right away.
Strapping Scherzo wrote: I know there are some semi-functional, open-source Flash players out there, but, from what I remember, they all quit for some reason or another.
It's been a few days since you posted so you might already know about the Gnash project, but AFAIK It's pretty much the best OS implementation of flash out there (and it is very much still alive). They had a summer project aimed at implementing a bunch of AS3 classes, but I'm afraid I don't know how successful they were at meeting their goals.
Strapping Scherzo wrote:I'm going to bust out my old DC and hook it up. Hopefully it still works.
Hey, if it doesn't I wouldn't mind sponsoring a new DC for a project like this (or help in any other way) :grin:

Please keep us updated with your thoughts on all this :)
Stryfe wrote:Mind if I ask what this could open up if ported?
It would open up the DC as a platform for a large number of new coders and lot of already finished small games could easily be ported over to the DC.
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

Ed Templton (test).