Burned Games

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
maziku
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Burned Games

Post by maziku »

A long time ago a friend of mine had some burned DC games. Some needed a boot disk and some didnt. Which programs do you suggest I use so I can download and burn my DC games for play on the console?

Thanks in advance.
hilltopper06
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Re: Burned Games

Post by hilltopper06 »

I am assuming you mean. Which programs do you suggest I use so I can download and burn HOMEBREW DC games for play on the console?

The answer is probably in a sticky, but I have found success using Padus DiscJuggler and Alcohol 120%. You will hear about a million different tidbits of advice on burning at low speeds and using good media vs. cheap media etc. But I haven't ever noticed a difference. I just use Alcohol 120% and it almost always comes out okay.

If you were referencing retail games in your post then my answer is "In before Lock!"
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

maziku wrote:A long time ago a friend of mine had some burned DC games. Some needed a boot disk and some didnt. Which programs do you suggest I use so I can download and burn my DC games for play on the console?

Thanks in advance.
You won't find any kind of open support for piracy here. Come on... think a little before you go asking stuff like this.

It is not legal to download anything other than freewared/sharewared games, and even if the game has been made freeware, you aren't allowed to download a pre-freewared version (aka - original copy).

It also isn't legal to "download" copies of games you actually own either, so the only technically legal back-ups you can have are the ones you make yourself.

This all is subject to your legalities of of your country of course, and the laws may differ.
ImageImageImageImage
Chilly Willy
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Chilly Willy »

There's plenty of homebrew, so we can talk about that at least. I use Nero to burn my homebrew, but I ran into an interesting problem - Nero for Windows won't burn audio/data discs properly. To get a homebrew disc to boot, you have to write two sessions: the first session is often just a blank audio session, with all the data for the app in the second (data) session. When I burn these using Nero for linux, it works fine, but when I use Nero in Windows, the discs fail to load, sometimes not even attempting to validate.

Funny thing is, data/data discs are just the opposite! If you make the first session a data track instead of an audio track, and then the second (data) session, these burn fine in Nero in Windows, but fail in Nero in linux. Weird... :?

I just got the update for Nero for linux (v4), so I'll need to try data/data again to see if it still fails.