Bus Wars II: The Christians Strike Back

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
U-said-it
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Bus Wars II: The Christians Strike Back

Post by U-said-it »

Mail Online wrote:Christian groups are launching their own advertisements to run across the side of London buses following an atheist campaign.

The British Humanist Association launched adverts earlier in the year proclaiming: 'There is probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life.'

It sparked almost 150 complaints to the Advertising Standard Authority from people claiming the campaign was offensive.
Article here:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... verts.html

Now that this is escalating, I'd think this ad by physicist Victor Stenger would be appropriate:

-
ImageImage
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Re: Bus Wars II: The Christians Strike Back

Post by Stormwatch »

Owwwwww! :lol:
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
Maturion

Post by Maturion »

Great, great, great!
They get my full support.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

I don't agree with the message, but this is at least an appropriate response. I'd have a lot more respect for it if it had been the response in the first place and not Plan B to censoring the atheist campaign, though.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Still seems like the same old pissing contest. Amusing, but I doubt it'll influence anyone who isn't already firmly in agreement. People start sticking Jesus fish on their cars. So other people decide to be clever and start sticking Darwin fish on theirs, as an obvious parody. Then, trying to do the same thing (but far less clever), the Jesus fish people update theirs to show the Jesus fish eating a Darwin fish (seriously, what does that symbolize? "We destroy those who are different/disagree with us"?) And now we have people with everything from anglerfish to Flying Spaghetti Monsters on the back of their cars*. I'm more than happy to have a debate about such things, but trying to force your beliefs down someone's throat won't accomplish anything, no matter what side you're on.

*In the interest of full disclosure, my car has a Flying Spaghetti Monster emblem. However, I always considered the FSM more a mockery of the Kansas Intelligent Design fiasco and the attempt to force religion into science class rather than of religion itself.
U-said-it
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by U-said-it »

Yeah it is all rather amusing to think either side could actually influence a lot of people with ads like these. I mean come on, you'd have to be pretty dense or feeble minded to let them do so.

But I have a feeling that some of the Christian groups would rather put up ads like these hypothetical ones:

Or:
ImageImage
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

I mean come on, you'd have to be pretty dense or feeble minded to let them do so.
I forget the exact success rate, but you know Jehovah's Witnesses? How they go door-to-door and just try to convince you to radically alter your belief system, because they showed up at your door and asked you to?

SOMETIMES IT WORKS. Boggle that one for a moment.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

Stormwatch wrote:Image
LAWLRUS!

So true, so true...