Overheating issues

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
hearld500
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Overheating issues

Post by hearld500 »

I have a desktop with a BTX case and a Pentium D.
I've had it completely restart a few times now, when I reboot it the bios says there was a "thermal event - (CPU overheating)".

Checked the case, clear of dust and the fan was turning. Just for good measure I switched out the fan, but it's still happening.
Checked it on SpeedFan and the temps seem to be normal, but it always restarts when I've got something else up. If I put the system under load I can hear the fans spin up and it keeps the temps withing good range.

It's almost like the system forgets to spin up the fan before it overheats.

Any thoughts? Thanks
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Re: Overheating issues

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Did you also replace the thermal interface (thermal pad/heatsink compound), or only the fan?
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
hearld500
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by hearld500 »

I didn't. The fan doesn't sit on the heatsink since it's a BTX case so I didn't feel a need.
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

I feel your pain. I had a Pentium D 925 for a while, and that CPU was the hottest one I've ever bought, by far. The two Preslers on one die was a stupid idea in the first place. I had a AnticZone (sp?) HSF, and when playing HL2 or Crysis it constantly overheated.

I know one of the problems I had, was it got so hot the outer metal shell of the CPU actually warped, so only about 30% of the face was in contact with the heat sink. I "wet" sanded the top of it, and the heat sink, and it did vastly improve the cooling, but it still ran about 14-20 degrees hotter than most proccessors I've owned. I just ended up throwing it out and buying a Q6600.

In all honesty, there are some great and cheap 775 chips now, so I suggest you buy a new one. You can grab a E7200 for about $100 or so, and overclock it to 3.6ghz on air easily. Or spend $60 more and grab an E8400, it will overclock to 4ghz on air considering it's a nice cool 45nm process chip. Lots of cache too.
hearld500
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by hearld500 »

Hey, thanks.
I'm thinking I'll just save up and get a new one eventually. I switched to 32bit W7 instead of the x64 and don't seem to be having the problems anymore. It's actually a gateway, could you even switch chips and have it still work?
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

hearld500 wrote:Hey, thanks.
I'm thinking I'll just save up and get a new one eventually. I switched to 32bit W7 instead of the x64 and don't seem to be having the problems anymore. It's actually a gateway, could you even switch chips and have it still work?
Depends on the motherboard/BIOS. Some boards support Pentium D but not Core 2 / "Pentium Dual-Core" chips.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
hearld500
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by hearld500 »

Thanks, good to know that might be an option.

Well, it's almost been a week since I installed the 32bit verision and still havn't had a single "thermal event". Any ideas why it wouldn't be doing it now?