Building a new PC, again...

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Building a new PC, again...

Post by Code-Red »

Yea, I got a decent offer on my old desktop parts, so I figure I'm going to build another desktop. Laptop computing is aggrivating, as I can never find a comfortable way to use it. So anyways, I've got about $2000 to blow on it, and here's (the main stuff anyways) what I was thinking of:

Mobo - EVGA nForce 780i SLI $259
CPU - Intel C2Q Q8200 $219 (I was thinking of going E8400 and overclocking to 4ghz, but I don't want to deal with watercooling)
GFX - Dual XFX 9800 GTX 512's $200/ea
Mem - 8gb OCZ Vista Upgrade PC6400 $80

I'm still deciding on a case. I had a CoolerMaster Stacker last time, but I found Mid-towers don't allow for much in the way of neatly organizing wires and stuff. I'd like to go for a full tower this time, anyone have any suggestions?
hearld500
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Re: Building a new PC, again...

Post by hearld500 »

Go with windows 7, they've got the beta on their site for download...save you the money until it comes out.
Just installed it today, so far outperforming XP and vista for me.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

hearld500 wrote:Go with windows 7, they've got the beta on their site for download...save you the money until it comes out.
Just installed it today, so far outperforming XP and vista for me.
Not sure I'd recommend an open beta as one's primary OS. I've heard good things about Windows 7 (though it may just be a result of the extremely negative reactions to Vista), but a WIP build is not something to which I'd trust my data.
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

Well, I'll be running Vista 64 as I had it on my last system, and I absolutely loved it compared to the bullshit XP64 put me through. If Windows 7 gets a few thumbs up from the guys that have a level head, then I'll probably switch over to that.

I'm kind of considering lengthening the build, considering I can't get internet access for another 4 or so months when I move into an apartment. Possibly building a monster i7 system, with 12gb of ram, Tri-SLI 9800 GTX's. I'll see I guess. I haven't got a mailing address either so it's all down to how cheap the parts are in stores.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

core i7 looks really nice.

Don't go triple sli. The performance just isn't there.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I'm running Windows 7 as my primary OS now. It's just as good as Vista even in early beta form, and it runs faster, which is just amazing. And it's free. Sure, most people wouldn't agree to trusting a beta as your primary system, but right now the thing is solid. I was a big Vista supporter, but Windows 7 is going to be amazing.
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

Wagh wrote:core i7 looks really nice.

Don't go triple sli. The performance just isn't there.
Thanks for the advice Wagh, I just read some articles from TweakTown and TomsHardware that showed minimal gains. I'll probably stick with SLI, and try out some GX2's and just amp up the cooling in the case.
hearld500
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by hearld500 »

I'm running windows 7 x64 as my primary OS right now aswell.
So far absolutly zero problems, seems to run things significantly quicker than XP sp3 was for me...could just be the fresh install though.
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

Well, I threw out all conventional and rational thought today and bought a couple things:

Core i7 920 - $300
Asus Rampage II Extreme X58 (Crossfire and SLI supported!) - $540
12GB (6x2gb) OCZ Gold PC12800 DDR3 - $390

Not a bad way to spend a grand. Still figuring out what cards I want to go with, and whether I want to make a first attempt at water cooling (people say they can clock the 1366 920 @ 4ghz on water). Gotta get all the secondary stuff like case, monitor, speakers etc too.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

I had one of these. I was able to get my e6400@2.13 stock to 3.9-4ghz with a temp ~90C. I kept it lower though at around 3.6 with a 80C temp. Zalman makes a newer version now that looks a bit different. Their water kit was really easy to setup. It takes about the same amount of time as putting on a new heatsink.
Giving H-E-A-D head
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

How was the reliability of that system Wagh? I might be interested in getting it, as one of my friends owns a paint/powder-coating shop, and I could get a great heat transferring coating instead of that anodized crap. The quantity of coolant it holds is definitely appealing.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

I had two different ones prior to the zalman. this one and this one. The thermal take exploded a few minutes after running and I got coolant all in my htpc. Luckily nothing was ruined ( make sure you buy the coolant liquid rather than just water so your stuff will survive an event like this ). The coolermaster I got just never flowed so I returned it for the zalman. Reliability wise nothing bad ever happened to it. I did have to clean it out with vinegar after I first got it because I ran regular water through it. I got all kinds of hard water deposits around my cpu block and it kept over heating. After I cleaned it out though it was fine.
Giving H-E-A-D head