Wii - Bully: Scholarship Edition

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wii - Bully: Scholarship Edition

Post by ace »

Has anyone given this a shot yet? I didn't play it the first time around as I don't have a PS2, but I think I'd like to get it for Wii. Hopefully I get some response before tomorrow, since I had planned to pick it up before work. I read the IGN review, but I tend to base my gaming purchases on the opinions of DCemu members over review sites.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Re: Wii - Bully: Scholarship Edition

Post by not just souLLy now »

I'd be interested to know myself, there's a few ps2 ports that look good, Okami and Bully for sure. Especially after the brilliance of RE4.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I guess in this case the 360 version probably won't be any better since they are not doing anything with the graphics. Personally I found the game to be more annoying then fun, but thats my opinion. Every time you go to class you are stuck with some annoying mini game. Right off the bat you get to do a mini game that is similar to the dance mini game from GTA SA, only in this one apparently you have to do it 100% or fail. That was the point I said F*** it and sent it back to gamefly.

Its my understanding the only thing they are adding is a couple of more classes isn't it?
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

Four new classes, eight new missions and the ability to to play classes multiplayer. I bought it today before work, so expect a review within a few days.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I intended to buy it, but I'm holding off because I recently bought a ton of games I haven't touched yet so I'm trying to not buy any more new games until Okami's release.
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

Veggita2099 wrote:I guess in this case the 360 version probably won't be any better since they are not doing anything with the graphics. Personally I found the game to be more annoying then fun, but thats my opinion. Every time you go to class you are stuck with some annoying mini game. Right off the bat you get to do a mini game that is similar to the dance mini game from GTA SA, only in this one apparently you have to do it 100% or fail. That was the point I said F*** it and sent it back to gamefly.

Its my understanding the only thing they are adding is a couple of more classes isn't it?
Actually I heard the 360 version is crashing a lot. I'm thinking of getting gamefly so I can do what you just did. Super Paper Mario and No More Heroes are 2 games I wish I didn't buy. I want to play Bully but I'm afraid I won't like.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

JuddWack wrote:
Veggita2099 wrote:I guess in this case the 360 version probably won't be any better since they are not doing anything with the graphics. Personally I found the game to be more annoying then fun, but thats my opinion. Every time you go to class you are stuck with some annoying mini game. Right off the bat you get to do a mini game that is similar to the dance mini game from GTA SA, only in this one apparently you have to do it 100% or fail. That was the point I said F*** it and sent it back to gamefly.

Actually I heard the 360 version is crashing a lot. I'm thinking of getting gamefly so I can do what you just did. Super Paper Mario and No More Heroes are 2 games I wish I didn't buy. I want to play Bully but I'm afraid I won't like.
I really, really, really want to play No More Heroes, but like many other games I just can't spend the $50 on it.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Only bad thing about gamefly is pretty much any new release that is the least bit popular is always Very Low stock.

I am about to cancel it actually because of this. Took me 2 months to get to play call of duty 4. Right now I would like to try that Lost Odysy but once again its low stock. I am currently playing Advance Wars Days of Ruin from them. My time is up around the 25th. At $17 a month (they recently raised it supposedly due to increased cost of shipping) I will take part of that money and just upgrade my netflix to the 2 movie plan.

Really anymore unless a game is really good I don't ever find the time to play it. There have been some fine titles that I have sent back without playing through mainly due to lack of time and other interests. Anymore I get to a point where I have to explore a annoying maze or do some really BS mini-game I just don't bother finishing it. If I actually bought these games I would keep them but I figure I am better off to move on to another title. There are quite a few games out there though that I plan to buy when they drop down in price.

Also I must admit I have fallen into to the World of Warcraft. Didn't like it at first but as you get higher lvl it seems to get better. Toss in a 40 hour a week job, friends/family and there isn't a lot of time left.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

Thinking of buying it for a friend as a late X-Mas present, then again they made an attempt at what seemed like a low level guilt trip and didn't get me anything so I'm not sure why I should throw down the money aside from my own curiosity about the game.

Heard the 360 version has framerate issues, would bet the Wii version does too.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
politoe
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by politoe »

Veggita2099 wrote:Only bad thing about gamefly is pretty much any new release that is the least bit popular is always Very Low stock.

I am about to cancel it actually because of this. Took me 2 months to get to play call of duty 4. Right now I would like to try that Lost Odysy but once again its low stock. I am currently playing Advance Wars Days of Ruin from them. My time is up around the 25th. At $17 a month (they recently raised it supposedly due to increased cost of shipping) I will take part of that money and just upgrade my netflix to the 2 movie plan.

Really anymore unless a game is really good I don't ever find the time to play it. There have been some fine titles that I have sent back without playing through mainly due to lack of time and other interests. Anymore I get to a point where I have to explore a annoying maze or do some really BS mini-game I just don't bother finishing it. If I actually bought these games I would keep them but I figure I am better off to move on to another title. There are quite a few games out there though that I plan to buy when they drop down in price.

Also I must admit I have fallen into to the World of Warcraft. Didn't like it at first but as you get higher lvl it seems to get better. Toss in a 40 hour a week job, friends/family and there isn't a lot of time left.
And it will be for awhile.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

Well, I bought Bully the day after I posted this topic and I have been playing it non-stop ever since. I won't focus much on the graphics of this game, as anyone who has seen a 3D Grand Theft Auto game or played Tony Hawk since TH2 will have a general idea how this game looks. (I know this is a sloppy review, I'm fucking tired after work ;)

The game itself is by no means revolutionary. Anyone who has played Grand Theft Auto will find Bully very familiar. The really amazing part about Bully (aside from the Wii version controls - more on that later) is the setting. Rockstar did a great job making you feel like a student in a private school. The environments in the game are, while not photorealistic, are certainly believable. From the school itself, to the yard and buildings surrounding it, to the town, etc.

The controls on the Wii version are incredible. You punch, the main character Jimmy punches. It makes beating up on people fun, as you feel like you have a real role in the game. There are a few things that could definitely have used some tweaking - the placement of game actions on the Wii-mote D-pad, for example. You'll see exactly what I mean if you play the game on the Wii. When you are on a skateboard or a bike, pressing down on the D-pad let's you ollie or bunny-hop. Pressing up causes you to hit the brakes. So while you are using the A button to pedal, when you want to slow down or brake completely, your thumb has to find the up arrow on the D-pad. Not an easy feat, even with long fingers like mine.

The most fun I've had with this game came from an idea I got from Gamespot (I think it was GS at least.) They suggested spilling some marbles on the ground by a classroom doorway and pulling the fire alarm. As everyone panicked through the door way, they all tumbled to the ground in a truly hilarious fashion. There are dozens of other little pranks like this that you can pull off and watch the comical results.

I know I didn't fully examine every aspect or even structure the review properly, but for what it's worth, I'd give Bully on the Wii an 8.5/10