How important are Heatsinks on memory?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How important are Heatsinks on memory?

Post by Veggita2099 »

Is putting a heat sink on the newer DDR2 memory really a required kind of thing? I recently upgraded my PC with a new MB/CPU/Video Card/Memory. The memory is Kingston 800megahertz DDR2 ram (two 1 gig simms). It didn't come with a heat sink however I did go ahead buy some. Well one of the heat sinks is bent and won't fit on at all.

I have a little bit of trouble with my setup though. It seems to just randomly reset on me. I have updated drivers for the MB and Video card. It only seems to reset when it is doing something that you know is taxing on the system such as playing a newer game. IT kinda leads me to believe something is overheating however according to the bios my CPU is well into nominal levels. I am not over clocking or anything of that nature. I have a ton of fans blowing every which way with this new case I bought and I have not felt any warm air anywhere around the case either. I never did reinstall windows though, I am sure that does not help matters any. I usually reinstall Winders after a major upgrade such as a new MB.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
gRiMgRaVy014
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Re: How important are Heatsinks on memory?

Post by gRiMgRaVy014 »

You switched motherboards and didn't reinstall windows?
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

If they don't include them you're either not paying out the nose or they don't think you'll need them. On occasion ram does run hot but rarely hot enough to require additional cooling.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

I would recommend:

- Reinstalling Windows
- Running Memtest86+ overnight
- Trying a new power supply (last resort since this one usually costs money)
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

Kingston memory comes with lifetime warranty, so they're probably pretty confident about them.
You feel at ease as you flock with the masses,
What do you see with your heads in their asses?
Keep on railing at what I believe,
Call me insane and I am proud to be.

--Edguy - King of Fools--

My blog
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Cid Highwind wrote:Kingston memory comes with lifetime warranty, so they're probably pretty confident about them.
I think they're pretty confident that in 5-10 years nobody will be able to track down the original warranty information. )()(
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer