Graphics card under $200

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Graphics card under $200

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814122026
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 814161045R
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814143090

How do these this rate? I don't care if it's ATI or Nvidea, I just need something useful, that I can upgrade to dual cards later.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Re: Graphics card under $200

Post by Calavera »

Video cards don't have VGA out anymore?
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

The VGA signal is still there; you just need an adapter to bring it out to the usual HD15 connector.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

Ex-Cyber wrote:The VGA signal is still there; you just need an adapter to bring it out to the usual HD15 connector.
That sucks that you have to buy an adapter. It isn't like HD15 connection (I guess that's what you'd call it) is obsolete. I don't plan on upgrading to a new monitor anytime soon. My current monitor has kept my perfectly happy for the last 7 years and probably will another 7. 22 Inch, 2048 × 1536,monitor has a self-powered USB hub, why would I need to upgrade.

Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

As pretty much every modern card comes with one of those adaptors its not really an issue
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

I wouldn't go with the ATi one, it's the slowest of all. I'm also not a fan of the GF7 series, mainly because the image quality is arse compared to ATi's X1k series, and the GF8 series look even better.

The 7950 will probably be a bit faster than the 8600GTS though, which is even slower than an ATi X1950Pro in most cases I think. The thing is, if you expect the 8600 to run DX10 games with all bells and whistles, you'll be disappointed.

Btw, my X1950Pro came with two of these signal converters even.
You feel at ease as you flock with the masses,
What do you see with your heads in their asses?
Keep on railing at what I believe,
Call me insane and I am proud to be.

--Edguy - King of Fools--

My blog
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

Hawq wrote:As pretty much every modern card comes with one of those adaptors its not really an issue
I've got a Radeon 9500 with the 9700 softmod, I've been out of the video card business for awhile.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I'd rule out the second (HIS) one. An open box item from a company I've never heard of and a method of cooling that will take up two slots...in comparison to the others, it isn't that attractive. The BFG one is great, but it is a 7000 series and therefore doesn't have full DX10 support. So that leaves the Leadtek one. I'm not sure about Leadtek as a company, but the card seems good for the price. It might not be as fast as the 7950 when it comes to last generation games, but it will look better with future games that are run on DX10. So I'd say go with the 8600 card.
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

melancholy wrote:I'd rule out the second (HIS) one. An open box item from a company I've never heard of and a method of cooling that will take up two slots...in comparison to the others, it isn't that attractive. The BFG one is great, but it is a 7000 series and therefore doesn't have full DX10 support. So that leaves the Leadtek one. I'm not sure about Leadtek as a company, but the card seems good for the price. It might not be as fast as the 7950 when it comes to last generation games, but it will look better with future games that are run on DX10. So I'd say go with the 8600 card.
HIS is a very solid brand, they usually use Arctic Cooling fans, in this case the Accelero 1 I think, to have a quiet and better performing fan than ATi's stock fan. If you have the space, using a double slot cooler like this is perfect because it will blow the warm air right out of your case, rather than leaving it inside.

Still, it's the weakest of the cards, so I'd skip it.

My blog
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Cid Highwind wrote:
melancholy wrote:I'd rule out the second (HIS) one. An open box item from a company I've never heard of and a method of cooling that will take up two slots...in comparison to the others, it isn't that attractive. The BFG one is great, but it is a 7000 series and therefore doesn't have full DX10 support. So that leaves the Leadtek one. I'm not sure about Leadtek as a company, but the card seems good for the price. It might not be as fast as the 7950 when it comes to last generation games, but it will look better with future games that are run on DX10. So I'd say go with the 8600 card.
HIS is a very solid brand, they usually use Arctic Cooling fans, in this case the Accelero 1 I think, to have a quiet and better performing fan than ATi's stock fan. If you have the space, using a double slot cooler like this is perfect because it will blow the warm air right out of your case, rather than leaving it inside.

Still, it's the weakest of the cards, so I'd skip it.
Hmm, I just never heard of them. And I also never liked dual slot cards because I don't like losing the extra PCI slot.
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

I think HIS is more known in the UK and Europe than it is in the US, I hadn't heard of them until recently, when I bought my AGP X1950Pro.

And the use of dual slot fans if a matter of personal preference. I'm not using many PCI cards, so I won't miss the PCI slot :)

My blog
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

the 7950GT is the fastest of the three posted, it will beat a 8600GTS comfortably, and piledrive a x1650pro into the ground

looking in the newegg 100-200 dollar range, here are a few of my picks:

best BFTB in the Geforce 7 series:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130056

which comes to 105 AR, you could even buy two right now, this will beat the x1650pro silly, beat the 8600GTS in most games, but will be around 20-25% behind the 7950GT (for half the price....), and 7900GS cards supposedly overclock pretty nicely, you should be able to get a ~20% boost without much trouble (but dont expect to beat a 7950GT unless you really go for it)

in the Ati range:

x1950 GT 109 AR:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814102034
x1950 PRO 105 AR:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814161060

both the GT and PRO are pretty close performance wise, the PRO is slightly faster then a 7900GS, but overclocks much less then the 7900GS, giving the 7900GS the upper hand in enthusiast hands

if you are determined to go the SLI/X-fire route, id go with the 7900GS, excellent card (from reading reviews/forums, never had one myself)

i would only recommend the 8600 series if you absolutely want Dx10, in Dx9 the 8600GTS gets its ass handed to it by much cheaper cards
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

At this moment any game supporting DX10 mode will offer you only a penalty in performance.

Freeze pretty much summed up everything really well. The only thing I wanted to add that there's also one thing that sets apart the X1950Pro from the 7900GS, which is that on the ATi you can run HDR with AA simultaneously, which cannot be done on the 7900GS in most games, such as Oblivion. Even AA2x cleans up the graphics a lot. Also, if you're a texture nut such as myself, the 7900 will offer disappointing image quality.

My blog