Before I forget

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Before I forget

Post by mankrip »

Makaqu 1.2 already has support for the second controller, all you need to do to enable it is to remove two "return" statements from the in_dc.c file. I've also added support for transparent pixels in alias models (color index 255) to all versions of the engine (including the x86 ASM renderer) since (IIRC) version 1.0.

I don't remember if the second controller is fully implemented. From what I remember the analog stick and triggers only works as digital buttons. I also remember writing some code to implement QC-generated vibrations for the second controller's jump pack (through SVC messages), but I never tested it and don't remember if it's included in the 1.2 release.

I don't remember if there's any other easter egg in the source code, and I don't think there's any. I only remember to have commented out some old versions of some code, like the FOV scaling in the sky renderer.

Well, it's not surprising that apparently no one ever managed to find out these easter eggs. None of the other Makaqu-specific features was ever implemented in any project.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Christuserloeser

Re: Before I forget

Post by Christuserloeser »

Chui has been working on KGLX recently: viewtopic.php?p=968238#p968238
Anyway, did you guys read what Chui posted at DCEmu UK ?
Chui wrote:Yes, this game is SDL+OpenGL.
I am completing KGLX and getting many progress.

For testing and debugging, i use Neverball. :D

Once KGLX is fully ported, it might be possible to use it in nxMakaqu, yes ? :o
Insane homebrew collector.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Well, Makaqu's hardware renderer would also have to be updated before it could be ported.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

I know you can do it :wink: - Btw, Heinrich Tillack send me a download of KGL-X v0.41:

http://www.freewebtown.com/festival2005/kglx0.41.rar
a128.atspace.com wrote:KGL-X is a OpenGL® look-a-like API, and a derived version of KGL ( from KOS 1.1.8 ) © 2001-2002 by Dan Potter etc. and libgl © 2002 by Bero.

All those libs are based on the published OpenGL® API, but are not implementations which are certifed or licensed by Silicon Graphics, Inc. under the OpenGL® API.

KGL-X features:

-OpenGL® API

-Displaylists

-Optimized Z-near clipping of Triangle Strips, Triangles and Quads
Insane homebrew collector.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

That sounds promising, wasn't the main problem with porting GLQuake to Dreamcast before something to do with 'triangle fans'? If so, hopefully this helps.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Christuserloeser wrote:I know you can do it :wink:
Maybe I could, but now I'm moving on. I'm studying C++ and going to work on a different engine for the PC, and I'm also considering trying to make a mobile game in Java.

If I get enough free time, what I'd like to do in nxMakaqu would be adding lightgun support. I bought a light gun last week, and I think it could work well with Quake. It's a shame that no lightgun game for the DC ever made good use of its d-pad.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
linlinlol
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by linlinlol »

Manoel wrote: I've also added support for transparent pixels in alias models (color index 255) to all versions of the engine (including the x86 ASM renderer) since (IIRC) version 1.0.
I've already been abusing this feature for a few months now. VERY useful for spherical explosion smoke with some subtle avelocity.

(That's right, i'm still quaking, none of these are typos. My new project is memory efficient too (800kb zipped) and will have it's own thread here when i'm ready to release it)
Tyne wrote:That sounds promising, wasn't the main problem with porting GLQuake to Dreamcast before something to do with 'triangle fans'? If so, hopefully this helps.
Guess what ms2 files are!

Shouldn't be hard to port a GL app to the DC since the DC's exact video chipset (Neon 250) had some SGL OpenGL wrapper action on Windows. Dunno why people think PowerVR is some obscure console only video card maker when they were 3dfx's first serious competitor. (I had a PCX2 and Kyro 2 as well)
DOODOO
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

linlinlol wrote:Shouldn't be hard to port a GL app to the DC since the DC's exact video chipset (Neon 250) had some SGL OpenGL wrapper action on Windows. Dunno why people think PowerVR is some obscure console only video card maker when they were 3dfx's first serious competitor. (I had a PCX2 and Kyro 2 as well)
The graphics chip in the Dreamcast isn't actually the same as any of their PC versions. It's an earlier version of the PVR2 series, and is missing all kinds of features that their PC cards have.

Besides, their OpenGL implementation is of no use to us, because we can't use it on a Dreamcast. Our OpenGL implementation isn't usable with Quake, because it's far too simplistic.

Chui's GL implemetation may be more useful, but probably not. Quake is really weird, and uses OpenGL in all kinds of ways that don't really map to the Dreamcast hardware very well.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

BlackAura wrote:
linlinlol wrote:Shouldn't be hard to port a GL app to the DC since the DC's exact video chipset (Neon 250) had some SGL OpenGL wrapper action on Windows. Dunno why people think PowerVR is some obscure console only video card maker when they were 3dfx's first serious competitor. (I had a PCX2 and Kyro 2 as well)
The graphics chip in the Dreamcast isn't actually the same as any of their PC versions. It's an earlier version of the PVR2 series, and is missing all kinds of features that their PC cards have.

Besides, their OpenGL implementation is of no use to us, because we can't use it on a Dreamcast. Our OpenGL implementation isn't usable with Quake, because it's far too simplistic.

Chui's GL implemetation may be more useful, but probably not. Quake is really weird, and uses OpenGL in all kinds of ways that don't really map to the Dreamcast hardware very well.
Reading what you've wrote makes me wish there was a topic about the exact specifications of how the Dreamcast GPU works alongside the Hitachi SH4. It'd be informative and a great read since they're both pretty unique pieces of hardware.

Also it's pretty surprising to read that it's a simple version of the released Power VR2 PC card seeing as how Dreamcast at release boasted a few features that were never really heard of and used by PCs (Bump mapping, etc). Cool stuff. I'd love a deep down dirty discussion of how Dreamcast works hardware wise at DCEmu.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

I remember reading that the DC's PVR2 has twice the RAM of its PC counterpart.
linlinlol wrote:I've already been abusing this feature for a few months now. VERY useful for spherical explosion smoke with some subtle avelocity.
/me smiles :mrgreen:

Thanks. I've used it in the smoke explosion that happens when a character returns to the ring in Fightoon (although, like other things, it was made in a rush just for recording the video).
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==