Old-school dual cpu question

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
AgentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Old-school dual cpu question

Post by AgentGreen »

Okay, so for shits and giggles and because I have 10 bucks and a shit-ton of old CPUs I want to make a dual CPU machine with a dual slot-1 motherboard i just bought on eBay.

But I have a question: can you pull it off with two different speed processors or is it better if i keep it consistent? Because I have p3 600mhz and several p2 400mhz that I feel compelled to do SOMETHING with other than throw them out.
hearld500
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Re: Old-school dual cpu question

Post by hearld500 »

I think you're better off sticking with matching speeds so timing isn't off.
Not 100% sure though.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

They need to be the exact same CPU, stepping and all.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
AgentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen

Post by AgentGreen »

APE wrote:They need to be the exact same CPU, stepping and all.
Good thing I have 8 of the goddamn things
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

AgentGreen wrote:
APE wrote:They need to be the exact same CPU, stepping and all.
Good thing I have 8 of the goddamn things
Then make an Octoprocessor machine. :mrgreen:
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Without extremely specialized hardware, you cannot just stick a normal processor into a multi-processor board. Dual slot motherboards work on "Slot 2" which is the dual CPU version of Slot 1.

The exception would be wire or bridge modding Althlon XPs into MPs, or using some of the 1+ghz P3s that made it to uniprocessor machines.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

Quzar wrote:Without extremely specialized hardware, you cannot just stick a normal processor into a multi-processor board. Dual slot motherboards work on "Slot 2" which is the dual CPU version of Slot 1.

The exception would be wire or bridge modding Althlon XPs into MPs, or using some of the 1+ghz P3s that made it to uniprocessor machines.
ive seen slot1 celerons with a small wire-mod to make them work in MP boards, as this was all the rage back in the celeron 300A days, take two cheapy celerons, overclock em to 450 mhz, pair em up and have a rig that beats the fastest pentium 2 for half the price

im sure there are some guides to be found about modding a slot1 cpu to run in a multi-slot config
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
AgentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen

Post by AgentGreen »

Well I was outbid on it anyways so it doesn't matter now. Anyone wanna buy a 600mhz p3 or one of many 400mhz p2s? :lol:
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Disheveled DrFreeze wrote:
Quzar wrote:Without extremely specialized hardware, you cannot just stick a normal processor into a multi-processor board. Dual slot motherboards work on "Slot 2" which is the dual CPU version of Slot 1.

ive seen slot1 celerons with a small wire-mod to make them work in MP boards, as this was all the rage back in the celeron 300A days, take two cheapy celerons, overclock em to 450 mhz, pair em up and have a rig that beats the fastest pentium 2 for half the price

im sure there are some guides to be found about modding a slot1 cpu to run in a multi-slot config
Ah, I was under the impression that slot 2 was physically different from slot 1. That's quite interesting to know.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

Quzar wrote:
Disheveled DrFreeze wrote:

Ah, I was under the impression that slot 2 was physically different from slot 1. That's quite interesting to know.
i actually got two celeron 333A's from a mate with the required wire-mods after i scavenged two slot-1 mobos, they had been running in a dual slot server for a while. i never ended up doing anything with them though
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007