Cheapo Video Card available?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cheapo Video Card available?

Post by Sir Savant »

Ok, so I am currently running this old-ass P3 for various things (not gaming, mostly work and PC Diagnostics). Because it is a P3, the machine is kinda old and busted, so I put some parts that gave it new life. Maxed out memory (386MB now), Dual DVD-Burners, Hauppauge TV-Tuner, SoundBlaster Card, Dual 250GB drives etc. So for now it works ok.

While it works great for it's purposes, I am looking into finding a cheapo Video Card cause it currently is sporting a lightning quick ATI Rage Pro AGP with an enormous amount of memory - 4mb. I basically am looking for anything that would not kill the PSU - which I should also replace cause it is a 200w running all of the above - but would able to speed up media center applications to an acceptable point.

Something in the range of free (anyone looking to throw something out?) or under 25 shipped. I am currently looking at ebay, but everytime I find something halfway decent I hear about horrible reviews from the year 2000. I know this isn't the best of tech, but it currently works and buying a new, err, "usable" video card for $25 would be much better than spending $300 on a rig (dangit, I blew out the last one I built :( ).

Suggestions?
Eckostyle
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by Eckostyle »

I guess a GeForce MX PCI card would do the trick.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Might find a used geforce 3 or something like that on ebay.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

Eckostyle wrote:I guess a GeForce MX PCI card would do the trick.
That, but AGP.
or:
  • GeForce 2 (any) / GeForce 2MX / GeForce 4MX
    Radeon 8500
    GeForce 3 (any)
    Radeon 9200
    Radeon 9500 / 9600
There's gotta be at least one of those available on eBay for dirt cheap .
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

I think you mean 384 MB.
leileilol
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by leileilol »

The Geforce2MX/4MX have good driver support, the rest of the geforce2 line doesn't :(((

UGH STUPID NVIDIA CHEATING MONEY OUT POWER USERS OF THE GEFORCE2 GTS AND ULTRA
POOPOO
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

Radeon 9600s are nice. Mine did 1942 and UT2k4 pretty well so long as you didn't try to max out 2k4.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
leileilol
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by leileilol »

Well the CPU would bottleneck the 9600 horribly anyway
POOPOO
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

basically any radeon branded card will be able to do it. I don't know about wherever you are, but back in miami, the CompUSAs and BestBuys all carry 20$ radeon cards. PCI, but with DX7 support, they should help quite a bit compared to a rage.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

CheapAlert wrote:Well the CPU would bottleneck the 9600 horribly anyway
Well sure but if one can be sourced cheaply who cares? Not like it'll be used for gaming.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

I will try and find a CompUSA with a Radeon at that price, Quzar. I looked online and it said it was a no-go for my local one, but maybe there is...

Thanks for the advice. I will keep you posted on what I buy (which should be by Sunday), and how the whole thing turned out.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Re: Cheapo Video Card available?

Post by ace »

Sir Savant wrote:Ok, so I am currently running this old-ass P3 for various things (not gaming, mostly work and PC Diagnostics). Because it is a P3, the machine is kinda old and busted, so I put some parts that gave it new life. Maxed out memory (386MB now), Dual DVD-Burners, Hauppauge TV-Tuner, SoundBlaster Card, Dual 250GB drives etc. So for now it works ok.

While it works great for it's purposes, I am looking into finding a cheapo Video Card cause it currently is sporting a lightning quick ATI Rage Pro AGP with an enormous amount of memory - 4mb. I basically am looking for anything that would not kill the PSU - which I should also replace cause it is a 200w running all of the above - but would able to speed up media center applications to an acceptable point.

Something in the range of free (anyone looking to throw something out?) or under 25 shipped. I am currently looking at ebay, but everytime I find something halfway decent I hear about horrible reviews from the year 2000. I know this isn't the best of tech, but it currently works and buying a new, err, "usable" video card for $25 would be much better than spending $300 on a rig (dangit, I blew out the last one I built :( ).

Suggestions?
I've got a Radeon 7000, a Geforce 2 MX and a Voodoo 3 you can have for free if you want. Just pick them up if you are still in the GTA. I can ship them too, but my paypal is currently not working.

edit: I thought this was Caboose for a second. It might not be worth it to ship...
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

ace wrote:
Sir Savant wrote:Ok, so I am currently running this old-ass P3 for various things (not gaming, mostly work and PC Diagnostics). Because it is a P3, the machine is kinda old and busted, so I put some parts that gave it new life. Maxed out memory (386MB now), Dual DVD-Burners, Hauppauge TV-Tuner, SoundBlaster Card, Dual 250GB drives etc. So for now it works ok.

Suggestions?
I've got a Radeon 7000, a Geforce 2 MX and a Voodoo 3 you can have for free if you want. Just pick them up if you are still in the GTA. I can ship them too, but my paypal is currently not working.

edit: I thought this was Caboose for a second. It might not be worth it to ship...
Awe. You got my hopes up and then shot them down. :cry:
neoak
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by neoak »

ace wrote:edit: I thought this was Caboose for a second. It might not be worth it to ship...
Why don't you try Airmail? Its dirt cheap. All you need is a good packaging box.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

I'll take them into work (hopefully tomorrow) and get them weighed/priced and post the prices for different mailing options tomorrow.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Price?