Anyone ever play E.G.G?

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Hawke
Wastelander
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Anyone ever play E.G.G?

Post by Hawke »

I saw this game used at a pawn shop close to my house, but it was going for $25. Was this game any good? I'm not much of a collector, more of a "I like this game so I'll buy it!"
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

It's a pretty good game, but I wouldn't pay $25 for a used copy.
"Nothing works" - Catweazle
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer

Post by GyroVorbis »

Yeah, it was a great game, but I think I payed like $5 for my copy... That price is ridiculous.
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

Nice 2d adventure game, played it for just a small while. From what I remember it's got some tough puzzles, good music and lovely 2d backgrounds. Awesome intro FMV as well.
You feel at ease as you flock with the masses,
What do you see with your heads in their asses?
Keep on railing at what I believe,
Call me insane and I am proud to be.

--Edguy - King of Fools--

My blog
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

I used to see it new at Value City all the time for $5.
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

interesting, but don't pay 25 unless you want a new (to you) game.
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

EGG is a great game, its worth the money if you havent played it before!
Hawke
Wastelander

Post by Hawke »

cool - thanks for the advice.

I think I'll pass on it. Was watching some old gameplay videos of it - seems like a fun zelda-esque adventure, but as stated, not worth the $25 price tag.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Zelda-esque? Hmmmm, I've never seen anything of this game, maybe I should check some vids.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Definetly Zelda-esque. It's also hard. I enjoyed it but didn't get too far. I think I couldn't figure out what to do next at a certain point. Still, I got my $5 worth of enjoyment out of it.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

It was pretty neat. Graphics wise its like a SNES game for the most part. However the battle scenes are 3d.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

Graphics are 2D, but i doubt that SNES can render those backgrounds and transparency effects. Those are not 32x32 pixel tiles, but hand painted maps, its a great game, the fact that its not in 3D doesnt change anything. The intro is amazing, the 2D graphics are well designed and painted, the 3D fight and racing levels are not impressive, but look good and suit the game well, the music sets the mood very well!! The level-up system is good, the upgrades are very interesitng and open up possibilities to enter new areas! The game is a not all that easy yes, but its varied and interesting, there is also a lot of groung to cover!

And did i mention it works with VGA? and looks very crisp.

intro

map

map

powerup menu

3d fight

Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

EGG's main problem is that, unlike Zelda, it frequently leaves you with no clue at all about where to go next. Also, the player's punch is slow and has a very limited range. Even so, it's a fun and great-looking game.
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Wow, after reading this topic, I have a sudden interest in this game. I think I might try to find it somewhere.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

I just started playing it and I'd be pretty damn sure it's a PSX port if I hadn't already check it isn't. The graphics are simple and there aren't many animations, but they're OK when compared to the 3D action.
Besides those awkward fights and the crappy translation (made even worse by a voice over reading some parts), it seems like a fun game.
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

Yeah, I played a bit of it. It got pretty good reviews. I actually really like the game.
Green Ranger
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Green Ranger »

Juan wrote:I just started playing it and I'd be pretty damn sure it's a PSX port if I hadn't already check it isn't. The graphics are simple and there aren't many animations, but they're OK when compared to the 3D action.
It was originally scheduled to come out for the Sega Saturn, but was moved to the Dreamcast when the Saturn died.
Go Go Power Rangers!!!
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

Boy, I don't know. EGG has always seemed really sort of bland and frustrating to me. I think it's the only 2D action-RPG sort of game on the Dreamcast, so if you have to have one of those EGG will have to do. Comparing it to Zelda or Ys or any of the great games in the genre is pretty disheartening, though. Maybe better to compare it to Shining Wisdom or something like that.

The fighting is totally awkward. I have nothing against a difficult game, but when the difficulty comes from a poorly designed battle system where you'll misjudge your attacks half the time, I don't think that's much fun at all. They shouldn't have made the boss battles 3D at all, in my opinion, the 3D engine is kind of unimpressive, whereas the 2D graphics are very nice even if the designs are sort of uninspired.

The storyline (or at least what I saw of it, I never did finish the game) seemed marginally interesting or at least not totally horrible. A lot of stuf seems to have been ripped off wholesale from other games, though. And like I said, the character designs are totally boring. I never really found anything in the games plot or characters that caught me up in the game enough to make me overlook the bad fighting.

Like I said, if this is a genre you just absolutely love or something, EGG might be cool for you, but personally I'd just rather play one of the Dreamcast's excellent RPGs or action games than its subpar action-RPG. It's too bad we couldn't have gotten a better game in the genre--maybe a new game in the Oasis series even--but I guess thaat's what emulation is for.

...word is bondage...
PuNkRoCkEr
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by PuNkRoCkEr »

i saw it for $2 down at my local gamecrazy.played it ..its alright
Sultan of Saturn
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Sultan of Saturn »

EGG was a pretty fun game. I got mine new for like $10 back in the late days of the Dreamcast. If memory serves me right, it got like a 7 out of 10 in the ODCM. The music is nice, and the graphics are pretty sweet and definitely give a jog back to the 16-bit era but lovelier. An extra little tidbit is that there is bonus disc art if you pop the game into your computer.
Formerly Known As "Chalavet".....