USB to IDE?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
ghostparty
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

USB to IDE?

Post by ghostparty »

Is there any cable that can convert a usb device into an ide one? Not one that goes from ide/sata or whatever into a usb but the other way around. I'm having a hell of a time trying to find one.

In case you must ask why it is because I want to be able to easily switch my usb hard drive into an ide so that I can hook it up to my PS2.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Crack it open. There should be a normal 2.5" (for laptops) or 3.5" (for desktops) hard drive in there. I have no idea what the PS2 requires or what you have, but a normal hard drive and a converter are all that's in those external drives.
ghostparty
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by ghostparty »

Yeah I know but I'd rather have it remain intact since it has the fan and everything in it plus I still use it for my computer, I'd much rather have it switch back to ide through the usb port because I'm lazy as hell :lol:
Plus, it is used on my modded slim console which means by default there is no fan for it and I'd rather not overheat my 320 gb drive so that's why I'd not crack it on open and switch via that method.
Oh, and it's a 3.5 hard drive.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

What you're looking for does not exist. Buy a hard drive, they're cheap these days.
ghostparty
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by ghostparty »

would it be possible to buy a normal ide to usb cable and use it in reverse or it a strict one way thing?
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

ghostparty wrote:would it be possible to buy a normal ide to usb cable and use it in reverse or it a strict one way thing?
Xylene wrote:What you're looking for does not exist. Buy a hard drive, they're cheap these days.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

If you're hard up for money and can't afford another hard drive, do what was suggested and crack that puppy open. Don't worry about the fan. I'm sure it's just there because of the small size of the enclosure. I did the same with my external DVD writer that I had originally bought for my laptop but then wanted it as an internal drive on my desktop.