So I'm working on a comic but I need input first...

This forum is where you can show off your art, such as emulator software skins, DVD and CD covers; or discuss other art-related topics.

What do you think?

No votes
50%
50%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 4
AgentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

So I'm working on a comic but I need input first...

Post by AgentGreen »

I'm having trouble deciding on which path to take in said comic though. I haven't the time to do all the ideas at the moment (though some elements may be incorporated) but I want to get some feedback on what people would rather see. Also I'm not sure If I just want to do a graphic novel approach or if i want to try and do issues:

1. A "speedster" character, young and rebellious, who has a short fuse and is not always great at thinking out plans, but usually does what's right given the circumstances.

2. An "archer" character, and elderly relic from the Golden Age, once revered but now entirely forgotten and alone on his death bed. He's grown misanthropic and grim in his old age. He makes a deal with a dark power in exchange for youth and health to fight crime once more.

3. An insane mutant/metahuman/whatever who beleives all he does is the right course of action and anyone who opposes him is crazy and evil. His actions range from inane to heroic to sickly demonic because of how he sees the world. The world will always be seen from his point of view until the last page(s)/panel(s) of the "issues" when you can see what damage/good deed he has done. The artwork in this will be bizarre and distorted

4. A cowardly priest/minister/whatever investigates what several of his parishioners call "A Guardian Angel" who saved some of them from certain doom in the dangerous city they live in. He finds a homeless man of large stature who weilds a .410 bore shotgun with birdshot who fits the description of the "Guardian Angel." He offers the man lodging at his parsonage and to assist the man in his work by giving him clothing and weaponry (though he opts to buy stuff that's a little less damaging like customized bean-bag rounds or a club he bought at a truckstop that he's engraved a cross in or defensive gear like various guards and armors he can wear). Reluctantly, the man finds himself using the priest's gifts though he himself has a low opinion of religion and finds what the priest is doing somewhat shameful.

5. A comic about a man in a suit and a wide-brimmed hat referred to only as "The Gentleman." He has mystical powers, seems to be completely above the troubles of humans and is definitley not human and probably not a mortal (Think along the lines of the powers of The Phantom Stranger and The Spectre in addition to other demonic/divine powers if they were given to a hybrid of The Joker and Galactus). This guy will probably show up in the project anyways, regardless if another choice is made.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

Quick answer: 2

Longer answer:
They all sound great. Here's comments on them all.

1. I personally love the speedster personality. I guess that's why I like anime so much. Tons of speedsters there. If there was more of a description to go with this I would have definitely considered it.

2. The idea of regaining your youth while on your deathbed is cool. It's especially interesting if it's not a full renewal but morel like borrowed time, conditional. Like once he's completed a certain deed, like saving the world or something, he has to give up his life. Hmmm, now that I think about it, it sounds like The Crow. Nevertheless, this is my favorite.

3. This one sounds like a great opportunity for artistic expression that is outside the scope of a normal comic. I'd be interested to see what kind of absract renderings you would produce.

4. Good story but not super-natural / extra-ordinary for my likes.

5. Is he immortal in the sense that he can't be killed or only that he doesn't age? I don't like immortals. Immortals don't seem to deal with the same existential problems we do. Now if he loses his mortality early on then I'm listening.
AgentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen

Post by AgentGreen »

The speedster's personality is kinda something that's been done to death but I wanna do him because of his superpowers in addition to super-speed which include creating and controlling flame. He's probably going to get some guidance from an older hero who knows the ropes of the superheroing business (in fact it might be a different version of the archer character)

Trust me, the bargain the archer will make is in no way heroic like "saving the world".

I'd really want to do the crazy guy's comic just for shits and giggles because i plan on it being so otherworldly and strange and I like the shock ending that seeing his "heroic deeds" as they actually are.

And the priest and the homeless man one will have a supernatural edge to it, it's just that i don't want to reveal too much

And The Gentleman is immortal in the sense that he's wholly supernatural. He doesn't age, he can't be killed (or at least appears that way because of his powers), and he views Earth as a giant toybox. The only things he really credits the human race with is inventing clove cigarettes and deducing the concept of souls and finding that they make great bargaining chips.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

#1 while it has been done to death, it is a really interesting character. The reason we see it a lot is because we all like it.

#2 I like this setup a lot. It sounds like an aged Green Arrow. Though it would've taken a lot for him to make a bad deal.

#3 sounds like modern Black Adam.

#4 sounds interesting but it'll take some work and a lot of dialouge to explain what you've got set up.

#5 these characters are always the best. B-listers that end up being all powerful.

Good characters. Hope you have good luck fleshing it out.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
AgentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen

Post by AgentGreen »

Right now it seems to be tied up between 2 and 3.
#3 sounds like modern Black Adam.
Well there's a difference, Black Adam's shifts between villainy and heroism are just because he has a unique set of morals for himself and isn't necessarily insane. This guy is completely apeshit crazy and incredibly delusional. Also he's not going to be as powerful as Black Adam if he's chosen as who I'm going to do a comic/graphic novel on.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

So this insane mutant will just go bonkers. We'll see his action through the filter of his mind. And at the end we'll see what he really did from an objective/sane POV? That actually sounds quite cool. An awesome opportunity to do some trippy, on-a-permanent-acid-trip artwork too.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Definately #2. There's so much you can set up there. You could have him saving the day with his new power for a while, then have the 'dark power' be someone that reappears later and want to cash in on the deal by making this good guy do some truely evil things. The trust, the betrayals, the revenge, there's just soooo much to go on.
AgentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen

Post by AgentGreen »

Strapping Scherzo wrote:So this insane mutant will just go bonkers. We'll see his action through the filter of his mind. And at the end we'll see what he really did from an objective/sane POV? That actually sounds quite cool. An awesome opportunity to do some trippy, on-a-permanent-acid-trip artwork too.
The on-a-permanent-acid-trip is actually not far off from the origin story

The archer and this fellow are still tied so sometime in the next few days (if I have time) I'll make a sketch of both characters to see what people like as far as appearance goes.