What wireless cards work with Linux?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What wireless cards work with Linux?

Post by Roofus »

I need a new wireless card for my kaptop and I'd like one that works easily with Linux. I'd prefer to stay away from a Prism chipset. Any recommendations?
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

i use an Asus WL100-g pcmcia card, it has a broadcom 4306 chipset, which was supposed to work out of the box with ubuntu, but didnt, but there are a lot of tuts on how to fix this with ndiswrapper

AFAIK all you really need to do is get ndiswrapper and the windows driver for a card with the same chipset as yours and set it all up, i believe im officially running linksys drivers for my card

what distro are you running Roofus? i assume its KDE based?
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Orinoco works like trash because of all the goofy firmwares. Apparently the Broadcom chipsets work quite well now and are very common in laptops, especially Dell. The Intel chipsets work fine as well when you download the firmware.

BTW, :google:
stagg
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by stagg »

Eh, I just installed Ubuntu on my computer that didn't have a OS before. I need complete help as I don't know what the hell I am doing! What should I have to do to go about setting up my Linksys Wireless card? Ugh, I am starting to think this Linux OS is a bit over my head.
Roofus

Post by Roofus »

Disheveled DrFreeze wrote:i use an Asus WL100-g pcmcia card, it has a broadcom 4306 chipset, which was supposed to work out of the box with ubuntu, but didnt, but there are a lot of tuts on how to fix this with ndiswrapper

AFAIK all you really need to do is get ndiswrapper and the windows driver for a card with the same chipset as yours and set it all up, i believe im officially running linksys drivers for my card

what distro are you running Roofus? i assume its KDE based?
I'm using Slackware. Since I'm looking to buy a new card, I'd rather buy one that's supported and doesn't need ndiswrapper.
Xylene wrote:Orinoco works like trash because of all the goofy firmwares. Apparently the Broadcom chipsets work quite well now and are very common in laptops, especially Dell. The Intel chipsets work fine as well when you download the firmware.

BTW, :google:
Thanks for that. I was actually looking at an Orinoco. I"ve heard things about Atheros cards. What do you think?

Oh. and I'll be sure to look at that "Google" book you suggested.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

ok i understand

the odd thing is though, ubuntu supposedly comes with broadcom 43xx drivers, so my 4306 should have worked out of the box, and it did, sorta, i could activate the card an all, but not connect to a network
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
chrisfbt1
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by chrisfbt1 »

Atheros chipset works great and comes with native linux drivers.
i got an NEC Warpstar A/B/G for 8 bucks on ebay about 6 months ago and works out of the box with most modern distros.