DC owns PS2 like the good ol' days:

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

DC owns PS2 like the good ol' days:

Post by GyroVorbis »

History repeats itself. Nobody is really surprised, but as you can see here towards the end of the posted page:
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... &start=420

The PS2 version of Radilgy sucks. Apparently there is massive amounts of slowdown, graphical glitches in the background, and other bad stuff.

Nobody has the GC version yet, but my guess is that it'll run fine like the DC version and own the PS2 as well.

So the Dreamcast got another own in on the Playstation 2 in 2006, nice. :D
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Dreamcast4life »

its nice to see the DC kicks Ps2 to the curb in lots of areas. I like the DC Versions of DOA 2 and Rez then the PS2 ports, the seem to look better to me and play better, odd isn't it?
Have you played dreamcast today?
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Re: DC owns PS2 like the good ol' days:

Post by Juan »

GyroVorbis wrote:Radilgy sucks.
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

Dreamcast4life wrote:its nice to see the DC kicks Ps2 to the curb in lots of areas. I like the DC Versions of DOA 2 and Rez then the PS2 ports, the seem to look better to me and play better, odd isn't it?
I think this screenshot says it all.

Screenshot taken by a friend of mine who hooked up his PS2 through S-video using Dscaler (I think)
You feel at ease as you flock with the masses,
What do you see with your heads in their asses?
Keep on railing at what I believe,
Call me insane and I am proud to be.

--Edguy - King of Fools--

My blog
Rappy

Post by Rappy »

Our Dreamcast ist still the best available console out there :)
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

nevermind all the advances that games have made since 1999.
I don't hear any "omg dc pwnt xbox" threads. Because you know why? Xbox beats it in every way. So what the dc happens to have games that were orgianly made for it (or the NAOMI) ported to it more eaisly. HOLY CRAP. I'm sure when game companies make a system they say "now lets think of a way we can make this better then the dreamcast." Not saying it was'nt good, but it seems kinda lame to try and say it is still the best.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Cid Highwind wrote:I think this screenshot says it all.

Screenshot taken by a friend of mine who hooked up his PS2 through S-video using Dscaler (I think)
I suspect that DScaler would exaggerate the jaggies. But yeah, she needs to see a dermatologist about that forearm thing. :lol:
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Zealous zerotype wrote:So what the dc happens to have games that were orgianly made for it (or the NAOMI) ported to it more eaisly.
If the PS2 version was ported by the same people who made Radilgy, I wouldn't be surprised that it sucks. Because the game itself sucks, so the coders must suck.
And hell, all that "DC PWNZ0RZ PS2!!!!!!!!11" crap is annoying. PS2 has all that's great on DC + lots and lots of awesome games. So get over it.
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

milfzor wrote:next time, do it through say virtualdub and capture directly...that will produce more accurate results (well tell him to do that, anyhow) I somehow dont think even the ps2 port of the game has THAT many jaggies.........doesn't surprise me though, that the dreamcast version of radilogy is better, seems to happen with pretty much everything that got ported to ps2 and dreamcast, i cant think of one instance where the ps2 version is better.....as for xbox, no one is claiming the dreamcast is better than an xbox, the point of the thread basically is that it is STILL more powerful than at least one of the current systems that's on the market some years after the dreamcast died (everywhere cept japan...commercially anyhow)
I dunno, he gave me some DC shots as well, he got one recently, and the jaggies were a lot less apparent. However, the way you hook up your system the program simply recieves the signal your tv would normally get, after all the processing the console itself has done. So the only thing missing is the blur a tv gives, and I remember reading about early PS2 games running in a lower resolution.

And about the DC vs. PS2, the debate has been done a million times before. Conclusion (feel free to correct me): 9 out of 10 games that have been released on both consoles look better on DC, PS2 gets extras sometimes though. Once devvers got the hang of the complicated console they managed to get great results with it. To me the PS2 has proven itself. Though I will never be happy with its texturing (pre '98 ) and aliasing problems.

My blog
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

I wasn't claiming that DC was like better than PS2. I thought it was just funny though that a console that supposedly died many years ago beat the leading console in the current-generation market.

Everybody knows that this comparison isn't exactly fair. The game was practically written for DC to begin with (Naomi). The best chance the PS2 had was to be equal with the DC version. Regardless, the PS2 still got it handed to because it's so shitty to develop for. We're probably going to get a perfect GC port to prove it.

Honestly, there is absolutely no debate that if 1) the DC has enough RAM 2) the DC's 200 mhz will do it 3) DC could do the poly count: the Dreamcast game will look better than the PS2 game 100% of the time. It all boils down to the shitty textures and aliasing. So yeah, it isn't fair, but it is a little something for us DC supporters to chuckle at.
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

Cid Highwind wrote:
Dreamcast4life wrote:its nice to see the DC kicks Ps2 to the curb in lots of areas. I like the DC Versions of DOA 2 and Rez then the PS2 ports, the seem to look better to me and play better, odd isn't it?

I used to play DOA 2 Hardcore on the PS2. It did not look anywhere near that bad. In fact, it looked pretty much identical to the Dreamcast version. You'd be very hard pressed to notice a huge difference if you weren't running them side by side.
Very sexy hero, omg
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

Nick wrote:
Cid Highwind wrote:

I used to play DOA 2 Hardcore on the PS2. It did not look anywhere near that bad. In fact, it looked pretty much identical to the Dreamcast version. You'd be very hard pressed to notice a huge difference if you weren't running them side by side.
True, I did the same thing last summer, and while I thought the DC version looked better for the regular reasons, another thing I hated about the PS2 version was the effect when fighting the boss. Anyway, it didn't look as jagged as in this picture, but it's pretty strange that the screenshot shows it. (especially since it was taken by a PS2 fanboy gone DC :P )

It's still a good PS2 mocking picture though :twisted:

My blog
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

PS2 version runs always at 60fps, DC version cuts down to 30 in the cinematics.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Cid Highwind wrote:Image

It looks exactly like the 3D elements are being rendered at 640x224 while the 2D elements (e.g. the "winner" word) are being rendered at 640x448. No video capture device would be able to selectively reduce the resolution like this, so for me it doesn't seems like this screenshot is false or poorly taken.

And the "jaggies" shouldn't be very noticeable on a normal TV because of the TV's natural blurryness.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

:o Holy shit! That screenshot ... Thanks for uploading! Yeah, it definitly looks like 640x224. I mean I knew it but I never saw it that clearly. :lol:
Insane homebrew collector.
Sultan of Saturn
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Sultan of Saturn »

Unfortunately, there aren't enough games to really do the compare and contrast between both systems. Off of the top of my head, these are the games that I can think of that came out on both systems in no particular order than my stream of thought:

Rhapsody of Zephyr
Rez
Headhunter
Ready 2 Rumble round 2
Nba 2k2
NFL 2k2
Space Channel 5 part 1 and 2
Dead or Alive 2
Castle of Shikigami 2
Trizeal
Puyo Puyo Fever
Silent Scope
Radilgy
Gigawing 1 and 2 - atleast I think so...wasn't there a compilation?
Gunbird 2 - say as Gigawing 1 and 2 I believe?
Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike
Street Fighter Alpha 3
King of Fighters 2000-2002
Last Blade 2
MDK 2
Fur Fighters
Half-Life

Feel free to add to this list...perhaps there could be a discussion comparing and contrasting. I know that the last has already been done.
Formerly Known As "Chalavet".....
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Cid Highwind wrote:However, the way you hook up your system the program simply recieves the signal your tv would normally get, after all the processing the console itself has done. So the only thing missing is the blur a tv gives, and I remember reading about early PS2 games running in a lower resolution.
DScaler is a deinterlacer; it doesn't display the signal the way a TV would. I don't know how much effect this would actually have on jaggies, but there's more than blur missing from that shot.
Sultan of Saturn wrote:list of DC/PS2 games
Crazy Taxi 1/2
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Ex-Cyber wrote:DScaler is a deinterlacer; it doesn't display the signal the way a TV would. I don't know how much effect this would actually have on jaggies, but there's more than blur missing from that shot.
Fragger wrote:It looks exactly like the 3D elements are being rendered at 640x224 while the 2D elements (e.g. the "winner" word) are being rendered at 640x448. No video capture device would be able to selectively reduce the resolution like this
;)

However, compiling a list of DC ports for PS2 is an interesting idea. Please add it to Dreamcast-Scene.com's Dreamcast Wiki once you're happy with it :)

But: I doubt comparing a game made for DC or PS2 and then ported to the other system really tells that much about the actual hardware.

I mean, I heard Sonic Adventure DX for GameCube suffers from heavy frameskipping... - or just think of all these incredible PS1 ports for Dreamcast, all with full PS1 polygon count... ;)

A game that's originated on a certain system usually makes best use of the hardware it's been meant for.

Then again it's also not fair to compare a original Dreamcast highlight from 1999 with a PS2 highlight from 2006 - simply because development engines and development tool have evolved a lot. Creating a Shenmue wouldn't take a 1/5th of the time nowadays.

The best thing one can do is comparing an earlier original DC game with an earlier original PS2 game.

... but then again, I'm having fun with my DC anyway ^^
Insane homebrew collector.