internet conection with modem

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
project-firestorm
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

internet conection with modem

Post by project-firestorm »

the idea is to make an internet connection with the dc modem
over a linux pc

so dc modem to the linux system
a programm on the linux take the information from the modem port
and sent it via DSL port to a server

so far the theory

are here people with better modem and linux knowleng than me?

is it posible to have full controll over the modem port under linux?

i think the DC modem sent a signal to contact ofer the line and waiting for a ack from the other sind.

the generaly idea is a code that works for online games,
of cours not for fast action games but to sent highscores on a server
or for a game where bigger lack is ok
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

What you are describing doesn't need any extra software, it was used as a technique to use your broadband connection for PSO.

However, the application for which it seems you want it for wouldn't exactly work that way.

It is not networking knowledge that we are lacking, but how the modem actually makes those connections. There has been some small success with the modem, but not enough. Once the modem device drivers are completely written, we can then use the "PSO trick" to connect.
No signature.
GPF
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by GPF »

yeah somewhere on this forums i posted a simple chat client, I hooked up my dreamcast with a phoneline to my pc, ran a telnet program and my chat client on the dreamcast, if I remember right its dependant on the type of modem you have in your dreamcast on whether it will connect without needing a dial-tone simulator.

Troy(GPF)