possibly hard drive going?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

possibly hard drive going?

Post by Vchat20 »

Ok. so last night before I crawled in bed I gave my lappy a good restart as I regularly use it as my alarm now and its been on for a few days. booting up windows takes FOREVER to load and when it loads the graphics are fudged up (640x480, 256 colors) and I looked through the event viewer and i spotted some entries for the hard drive and ide controller.

Afraid for the worst I loaded up spinrite on level 4 (full scan/surface scan/read and rewrite each sector a few times to refresh the filesys) and when I wake up this morning it reads all clear. zip errors, zip bad sectors.

next thing I do is load knoppix and do a few test reads from the drive. played a few mp3's and a few divx movies. all ran without a hitch.

Right now im doing a repair install of windows to see if it helps.

so anyone else got an idea whats going on here? I surely hope its NOT the hard drive dying because I absolutely cant afford $100+ for a new one right now.
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

ok. I THINK I fixed it. I just ran through a repair install of windows and despite a few bugged up programs (AVG reported damaged files. a reinstall cured that right up) windows seems to be running much better and theres no hard disk/ide error messages in the event viewer.

But it bugs me as to what would cause this in the first place.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Yeah, it just sounds like something screwy happened with Windows. I highly doubt it is your hard drive, since this sounds like the software end of things.
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

thanks. sure is a major load off my mind.