1st DCEmulation Programming Contest

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Sanchez
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

1st DCEmulation Programming Contest

Post by Sanchez »

I am proud to announce the first DCEmulation Programming Contest.

In an effort to kickstart original homebrew development and to unify the scene, we are conducting a programming contest open to any developer.

The Submission:

You have 6 weeks from Mon Apr 1 to work on and submit a completely homebrew DC only project. This project must be your own work, and utilize whatever tools you desire. The submission can be a game or utility and must be at least 51% your own work, not a simple port to the DC. You do not have to provide source, but you need to provide some method of identifying it as your work ( a header file, some value embedded in the binary readable with strings, etc.) The submission must be free and be allowed to reside on any DC related website. Any submissions that violate another's copyright/work/etc will be removed from the competition at our discretion.

The Judging:

After the submission period is over, initial voting will be conducted by the moderators of this site (and others if desired) to determine the finalists. This period will take up to 2 weeks. After the finalists have been decided, voting will be open to all members of this site to determine the winner. This voting period will remain for a length of one week. The winner will be announced and their prize will be provided.

Your submission will be judged on:

Originality
Graphics/Sound
Usability
Fun/Coolness factor

The Prize:

The only prize we currently have is:

A Sega Dreamcast Broadband Adapter

Other prizes are being looked into, but are not guaranteed.

The Caveats:

The final decision in all matters is in the hands of the DCEmu staff. I am actually providing the BBA and have every intention of making it available to the winner. If you don't like these rules, tough.

A forum will be created for any questions/discussions. Submission addresses will be provided at a date closer to the deadline.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

Sounds cool, I can't wait to play the games :D

BTW, you should post this at CV, too and maybe be nice and let them help judge (only way I can think of to get crt0 to do something)
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

Cool! Hope we see something from Ganksoft :wink:
After the submission period is over, initial voting will be conducted by the moderators of this site (and others if desired) to determine the finalists.
Consolevision and Boob! should get a vote too!
After the finalists have been decided, voting will be open to all members of this site to determine the winner.
Won't people be able to cheat if it is a poll?
Sanchez
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Sanchez »

I've already invited Cvision and Boob to join in voting for the finalists. I have yet to receive a response, but I hope they will be interested.

As for the final voting on the winner, the exact method has yet to be determined. We've got some time yet, so hopefully we'll figure something out.
EvilSporkMan
God Of All Things Sporkish
God Of All Things Sporkish

Post by EvilSporkMan »

Clever, now I have more motivation to get coding the game i've been "working" on (having trouble with getting coders' cable, damn zophar). If you're lucky you'll see a build entered!
You can go anywhere you want if you look serious and carry a clipboard.
Oz
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Oz »

Sounds like a great contest. Mabye it will motivate me enough to rebuild my cygwin toolchain and dust off those C books. :wink: Although creativity has never been my strongest trait. :?
pkScary
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by pkScary »

if any programmers need assistance with textures, animations, midi, sound effects, wav and mp3 music, or pictures, i would be more than glad to help out. :wink:

cyberhoby@attbi.com
Last edited by pkScary on Wed Mar 27, 2002 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HyperG
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by HyperG »

i'll work on something for sure .... check this out ... http://206.117.28.84/ubbthreads/showfla ... o=0&fpart=

just a pic of whats to come. Hehe ...
If you think typing 'make' is hard, forget coding.
If you can't figure out the commands to DC-Tool, forget coding.
If you think coding is as easy as typing printf("Hello World\n"); , shoot yourself.
Freeze
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Freeze »

I want to help, too. I've got expert knowledge in Photoshop and can maybe help to create a official Website for the project... :)
quarn
DC Developer
DC Developer

Re: 1st DCEmulation Programming Contest

Post by quarn »

DirtySanchez wrote:The submission can be a game or utility and must be at least 51% your own work, not a simple port to the DC.
What about demos? (you know, variance by haujobb, delicious by yodel etc etc)
Sanchez
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Sanchez »

Anything that's DC specific can be submitted, but remember that it will be initially judged on the 4 characteristics listed above. If it looks cool as hell, but you can't do anything with it, your score won't be as good as something that does well in all categories....
brain_donor
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by brain_donor »

this is too cool. I should have ordered a faster shipping package on that coder's cable. Man, I gotta get in on this, but how much can I do in six weeks?