Jazz Jackrabbit - using OpenJazz SDL port?

This is a forum for discussing the feasibility of getting emulators, games, or other applications that have had their source released ported to the Dreamcast. Please read the Porting FAQ before starting a topic in this forum!
BlazeHedgehog
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Jazz Jackrabbit - using OpenJazz SDL port?

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

http://treacle.hewwo.com/jazz/oj/

A lovely group of dedicated Jazz Jackrabbit fans have begun re-writing the entire Jazz Jackrabbit 1 engine to be Windows-native, and above all, Open Source. Not only that, but OpenJazz uses SDL, too, making for easy porting between platforms.

I think the Dreamcast could handle OpenJazz no sweat and would be a great addition to it's library. OpenJazz is, however, still in development, and not 100% perfect, but the project is still active and currently playable, as long as you are willing to tolerate a few bugs.
To live a life of power, you must have faith in what you believe is right. The first thing you must do is find courage. You must be ready to reach beyond the boundaries of time itself. And to do that, all you must do is take the first step...
GPF
DC Developer
DC Developer

Coming soon to a dreamcast near you !!!

Post by GPF »

Imerion
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Imerion »

That was fast! Or have you been working on it in secret? Looks real good anyway. I really like the Jazz-games. Brings back many fond memories...
GPF
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by GPF »

saw the post yesterday so I decided to give it a shot :) I cant seem to get sound working but everything else seems to be working as well as the windows port. Ill try to release something soon :)

Troy(GPF)
http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk
Maximo2703
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Maximo2703 »

that is awesome. i was just discussing with a friend how good jazz the jackrabbit was it would be sweet to have a console verison :-)
GPF
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by GPF »

ok finally got libmodplug updated so that it works with OpenJazz, so now the psm mods are playing, remember this port is based on unfished code :) but its still a lot of fun.

Ill try to release soon.

Troy
Maximo2703
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Maximo2703 »

can't wait. Now when you say unfinished code you mean an unfinished game such as missing levels ,and features. Or, unfinished as not all the bugs are out ,and such.
TheSiggler
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by TheSiggler »

Hah, this is cool.. :) I used to play Jazz a lot ages ago..
Maximo2703
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Maximo2703 »

i played the GBA one which was pretty awesome. This would be something DC fans would really need on the system. Right up there with Giana's Return
c99koder
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by c99koder »

I remember playing Jazz Jackrabbit on a 386 back in the day :) Looking forward to playing it again on the DC.
BlazeHedgehog
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Maximo2703 wrote:can't wait. Now when you say unfinished code you mean an unfinished game such as missing levels ,and features. Or, unfinished as not all the bugs are out ,and such.
All the levels are done. This runs off the original Jazz Jackrabbit data files. (which is pretty much abandonware by now, dunno what DCemu's policy is on abandonware, though) But the engine itself is still kind of buggy because - rather than having the source to port from, these guys are re-writing the entire game engine from scratch. (As the original Jazz Jackrabbit is a DOS game and has quite a bit of trouble running on newer Windows hardware)

My understanding is the game is completely playable, and you can even beat it, but not everything is perfect. There are still bugs and things that need to be fixed and tweaked. I honestly haven't tried it yet because I have to dig out my Jazz Jackrabbit install, wherever I put it.

Nice to see it was as incredibly easy to port as I had hoped. :D
To live a life of power, you must have faith in what you believe is right. The first thing you must do is find courage. You must be ready to reach beyond the boundaries of time itself. And to do that, all you must do is take the first step...
Maximo2703
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Maximo2703 »

So i take it when its done we'll need to do a quake style thing with getting it on DC meaning we'd have to have the original Jazz files on the disc along with the DC verison?
BlazeHedgehog
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Yup.
Maximo2703
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Maximo2703 »

grr that sux considering i dont have that game on my PC. And, i never got into Quake DC because of it
BlazeHedgehog
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Well, reading up on the DCemu legalities topic, folks don't seem to like Abandonware Sites around these parts, so I can't exactly tell you where to get it. The game is almost 13 years old by now, but rules are rules.

Failing a good old fashioned Google Search, DOSgames has the Shareware version, which is the entire first episode (around nine levels total, plus a boss).
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

BlazeHedgehog wrote:Well, reading up on the DCemu legalities topic, folks don't seem to like Abandonware Sites around these parts, so I can't exactly tell you where to get it. The game is almost 13 years old by now, but rules are rules.
There's no reason to illegally download it. The full version CD is easy to find:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dl ... jackrabbit
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

I have only played jazz 2, how is 1 compared to it?
GPF
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by GPF »

http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk/OpenJazz.shtml

burn scrambled bin, and dos jazz jackrabbit files to root of cd, Iv only partially tested the shareware files so hopefully works with others.

Troy(GPF)